Do you have a go to rotor/pads combo you like?

EBC rotors or perhaps OEM
Akebono or EBC pads or perhaps OEM
All depends on the vehicle and what is desired for that situation but those are typical

I finally found a combination that works, is quiet and hasn’t warped in the 20,000 miles I put on them. Power Stops. Well, I shouldn’t say “Power Stops”; they’re made by power stop for Carquest. And these things are the best aftermarket pads/rotors I’ve ever had. They actually still look new...after a harsh winter, lots of salt, they still don’t really have any rust on them.

And the reason why I got these ^^^ is because my last pair of Carquest pads and rotors, failed within months (Twice). Warped. Pulsation. They warrantied them, told me that the metal in the pads caused their rotors to warp, and replaced them with the power stops. I was very skeptical, but I must say they have been fantastic. Only problem is that when you warranty brakes, you still have to change them yourself twice. And that’s a pain.

+2 I just did front brakes on another Subaru Forester yesterday with Element3 pads. Next week will be the rear brakes on that car. Then the rear brakes on my 08 Liberty. I've used a lot of brake pads and rotor combos over the years and found them to be the best bang for the buck.

I’ve settled on the raybestos EHT3/element pads myself. The bite and pedal feel are a good balance for me. There’s slightly more dusting than akebono, but it’s a dark grey dust and not rusty brown, and it’s as I said, very slight. They have significantly more bite. I have them in the f150 and the Lexus and they excel in both. I’ve had frustration with akebono in the past… some cars they meet oem, and in others lacked a lot of bite.

I’ve not found a rotor I’m partial to. Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors were either Great, or … cracked, new in box. I tried premium autozone rotors and experienced runout. I have centrics on the Lexus and they seem pretty good … but are developing pulsation early in life, or it may be that I rarely drive the car hard enough to heat them up consistently (they are large brakes and I drive like a normal person most days). I’ve seen more reviews than I care to of centric rotors rusting worse than others in salty climes.

if I had to buy rotors today, I’d probably look at raybestos options first, and see if I could source them locally in case a return was needed. I’d also consider Bosch. And then whatever AZ’s premium line is.

I just put front brakes raybestos element 3 rotors and pads on the 2020 elantra
was 107$ shipped.
So far I really like the coating. it wore off perfectly where the pads are and braking is nice and even.

It went together like a dream brake job.. easiest one I have ever done BY FAR. everything fit.. nothing needed ground or filed.

the 2 outside front pads were about 1/4 remaining, one inboard pad was maybe 1/8 and the other was microscopically away from hitting the pad backing.. maybe 1/32 max and feathering slightly thinner.
3.5 years, 4 winters to get super crusty, and 33800 miles.

I treated all the regular spots with some goodman products "pastelub" Its almost like a dry(er) anti-seize. 40+% solids lube.
and cleaned and relubed the sliders with sil-glyde.

They are pretty much my go to because I like the coating. I would consider others if they were backordered or OOS..
The centric higher line is decent too IMO.

The element 3 pads are also "taller" and contact the rotor slightly more than the stock pads..
check out how badly rusted these rotors are.. you dont even see the ugly side.
also the thin pad pictured.
image_2023-04-13_201444531.png

New rotor. gave the hub and surrounding areas a quick wire wheel but it was mostly "stained" vs actual rust and crust
a couple blasts of krown on it before I reassembled.
image_2023-04-13_204912932.png

Last edited:
Simple, like everything else I replace on my car because I learned my lesson. The only answer for me is OEM always without question
The OEM pads are usually made by an "aftermarket" company. So when you go buy OEM pads, you are usually getting "aftermarket" pads in a really expensive OEM box. And no, I am not talking about the cheap $5.00 pad kits that you can find in the economy section on Rockauto.

The OEM pads are usually made by an "aftermarket" company. So when you go buy OEM pads, you are usually getting "aftermarket" pads in a really expensive OEM box. And no, I am not talking about the cheap $5.00 pad kits that you can find in the economy section on Rockauto.
Yep. No way I'd pay for VW-branded pads when I can get Textar etc. that are the OEM pad maker for less.

All of the Hondas I have owned I use OEM Honda parts and they seem to work just fine for me...

I have made Powerstop Z23 carbon-fiber ceramic my go-to pads. I used the Z23 pads to replace Brembo NAO pads, which had left me unimpressed. I liked the Powerstop Z23 enough that I have now installed them on my wife's car also. Very good stopping power, yet still quiet and no dust appearance.

I don't have a go-to rotor, as I don't replace rotors often enough to pick one. By the time I'm ready for rotors, what is on the market will change.

Add me to the Raybestos E3 bandwagon. For pads, rotors, slide pins, boots, everything, I'm all Raybestos all the time now. Best value I've found yet and I've left Akebono behind.

Power stop pads and Geomet rotor kit, front and back. Geomet not much more $$ but heard they made in USA although nothing on the boxes about where they were made. Odd me thinks. Quiet and feel good.

EBC Yellowstuff and Stoptech slotted rotors.
How rough on rotors are the EBC Yellowstuff pads? Do they chew them up like semi-metallic pads?
They are about the only performance pad, other than semi-metallic, that are available for both my stock Barracuda Kelsey-Hayes front brakes and the 2004 Jeep Liberty disc brakes I run on the rear.
I like to match friction compounds on the front and rear. As the front rotors for this car seem to be out of production, I need to make those in my stash last. That probably means moving away from semi-metallic.
I don't want much. Just matching high friction street pads that stop well cold and are easy on rotors! 😂
Hoping EBC Yellowstuff may fit the bill.
Thanks for your input.

Back