Rav 4 Prime?

Ws6

My cx5 turbo has served me well for the last 2 years and 74k miles, but I am bothered by the $350/mo in fuel I buy. The rav4 prime looks like an excellent move to mitigate rising fuel costs. How are they? Specifically the XSE model?

What is your electricity cost? Will your cost per mile on electricity be less than on gasoline?

I am a Toyota fanboi but I thought the RAV4 hybrid on TFL, when they did the roller test, absolutely was awful. Go look it up. Even in snow mode it was NOT even slip and grip. IIRc you have a nasty driveway and this AWD I fear would leave you unhappy.

lots of complaints about filling the smaller that usual fuel tank. Plus I have read that the RAV is Toyota’s least reliable model.

Alex on Autos, on YouTube, does like the RAV, over the CRV, so it may be worth watching his videos on it too.

I have yet to test drive one, think about it often though.

Reactions: Ws6
$40k + (much less $48k as shown on Toyota’s website) is just more than I would be willing to go for a RAV4 or any cute ute, regardless of drivetrain.

No doubt you would save fuel money with it, and the RAV4 and Toyota hybrid system are both excellent in terms of reliability. If nothing else, the future commentary from edy when you dust an old BMW with a Toyota would make it worthwhile.

Keep in mind there's a $7500 tax credit on the Rav 4 Prime.

We test drove one a few weeks ago and loved it. In EV mode it has acceptable power. In hybrid mode it has a lot more power than I was expecting. I assumed it would have Prius-like power/acceleration. It doesn't and that's a good thing.

These are in ultra high demand right now with some dealers asking 10k over sticker, 58k. Another dealer is asking 60k for one on Autotrader. If you can find one at MSRP go for it or even if you have to order it and wait. I wouldn't even be picky with color or trim.

What is your electricity cost? Will your cost per mile on electricity be less than on gasoline?

I am a Toyota fanboi but I thought the RAV4 hybrid on TFL, when they did the roller test, absolutely was awful. Go look it up. Even in snow mode it was NOT even slip and grip. IIRc you have a nasty driveway and this AWD I fear would leave you unhappy.

lots of complaints about filling the smaller that usual fuel tank. Plus I have read that the RAV is Toyota’s least reliable model.

Alex on Autos, on YouTube, does like the RAV, over the CRV, so it may be worth watching his videos on it too.

I have yet to test drive one, think about it often though.
1) I have a 12.95kw solar array.
2) the roller test sucked, but real world it looks like it gets it done. Part of the issue with roller rests is the huge disparity in torque/traction availability. Very little in the real world mimics that. As i understand the issue he had is rectified with the hybrid syste..

Last edited:
$40k + (much less $48k as shown on Toyota’s website) is just more than I would be willing to go for a RAV4 or any cute ute, regardless of drivetrain.

No doubt you would save fuel money with it, and the RAV4 and Toyota hybrid system are both excellent in terms of reliability. If nothing else, the future commentary from edy when you dust an old BMW with a Toyota would make it worthwhile.
Imagine taking a Sienna to Gapplebees!

1) I have a 12.95kw solar array.
2) the roller test sucked, but real world it looks like it gets it done. Part of the issue with roller rests is the huge disparity in torque/traction availability. Very little in the real world mimics that. As i understand the issue he had is rectified with the hybrid syste..

Ah, free electricity then. :cool:

Interesting test... right up until it broke! Bit of a Windows machine right there, just short of BSoD. Not sure if random like Windows or from being pushed too hard.

Ah, free electricity then. :cool:

Interesting test... right up until it broke! Bit of a Windows machine right there, just short of BSoD. Not sure if random like Windows or from being pushed too hard.
It broke due to a grounding issue that has since been corrected in current production models. Non-issue at present.

On paper the Prime looks great, and I love how this color combo looks. I've decided to buy one.
71d84227199cd6348188f351f4f91b87.jpeg

p0G_i2jz7L5cpCYcjRPHv5EN-55YlJV3VHfV-5Yq9mQ.jpg

Good luck! I'd try to see if you could test drive a regular hybrid. It would lack a hundred hp or so but may give some insight to the rest of the car--ride is apt to be different, different wheels and all, but the A25A isn't the most refined of motors. Put your foot into and it feels downright coarse--you might want to drive one first.

Good luck! I'd try to see if you could test drive a regular hybrid. It would lack a hundred hp or so but may give some insight to the rest of the car--ride is apt to be different, different wheels and all, but the A25A isn't the most refined of motors. Put your foot into and it feels downright coarse--you might want to drive one first.
Mayhap, but half the cars ive bought, I never drove. Havent regretted it yet. My vq37 was supposedly unrefined too. Loved it.

If it's from a financial standpoint, buying something like that to save money on gas is stepping over quarters to pick up pennies.

Keep the CX-5 and keep on trucking.

If it's from a financial standpoint, buying something like that to save money on gas is stepping over quarters to pick up pennies.

Keep the CX-5 and keep on trucking.
I pay $380/mo in fuel....this will allow me to do at least 50% of my commute WITHOUT using fuel...and then 38mpg...it's a huge win!

On top of that, tradein values are high right now, and a RAV Prime will hold stupid value. Good financial move now and later.

Last edited:
I pay $380/mo in fuel....this will allow me to do at least 50% of my commute WITHOUT using fuel...and then 38mpg...it's a huge win!
KBB says $21,500 trade in for your CX-5. $50k for a RAV4 Prime.

So $28,500 to save $190 a month in gas. I just don't see it.

My judgement is if this is based off of financial reasons. If you want to upgrade because you think it's cool, or you're bored with your current car, then go for it.

KBB says $21,500 trade in for your CX-5. $50k for a RAV4 Prime.

So $28,500 to save $190 a month in gas. I just don't see it.

My judgement is if this is based off of financial reasons. If you want to upgrade because you think it's cool, or you're bored with your current car, then go for it.
I doubt the numbers will be all that bad, but we will see! I'd take KBB with a grain of salt right now, and no way I'd pay $50K for a RAV Prime. They are like $42-44K.

Back