Rav 4 Prime?

Watched a lot of reviews, seems the common complaint like most Japanese vehicles (I've owned several now, and it's the same across the board) are the trash tires involved. That said, I was concerned about my hill, it's 17 degrees/27% grade average, with a few steeper angles thrown in for fun. My CX5 handles it fine, even in the snow. I hope the R4P will, but until I get it, I cannot test it, however, videos like this DO give me the big hope that it will be just fine.

*I've set it to play at the pertinent timeframe if you click it in this thread/window. If not, it's at about 6:10.

With a grade like that I think you need a garage at the bottom of the hill with two sets of doors. Park your street vehicle on one side, drive a hooptie with dedicated 4x4 and great off road tires out the other side to deal with your hill.

It took long enough. Finally arrived. The dealership was nice enough to put Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires on for me, as well as mud flaps. I got a 2.44% APR 75mo (weird term...) loan from my CU over the phone. Anyway, just spent 3 hours rewiring my garage. It took me that long to figure out that 2 GFCI outlets that had worked for nearly 4 years, since I bought the house...were actually on the way out and working intermittently. I am not an electrician.

It took long enough. Finally arrived. The dealership was nice enough to put Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires on for me, as well as mud flaps. I got a 2.44% APR 75mo (weird term...) loan from my CU over the phone. Anyway, just spent 3 hours rewiring my garage. It took me that long to figure out that 2 GFCI outlets that had worked for nearly 4 years, since I bought the house...were actually on the way out and working intermittently. I am not an electrician.
If it makes you feel better, my entire garage went dead, I called my boss to let him know I was going to be late for work, replaced the whole friggin circuit breaker in the panel only for my wife to then say “is there a GFCI outlet? Maybe it tripped?” She was right…

Let us (well… me) know how it is. I’m interested in getting my wife something like this so I don’t get the weekly “my gas light is on” phone call lol

To touch on a few points in this thread. I live in a harsh winter environment. If our hybrid RAV4 can't make it through snowy roads, they should be closed. It is very good in snowy conditions. I live in a very hilly area.
As for refinement, the gas version engine of the '19 and newer is coarse. The hybrid is a totally different experience, smooth and quiet is my experience. In my job I've been able to drive both versions back to back.
Good luck with your prime.

Well post a pic or two then!

How do you like it?

Ill pick it up in a few hours.
Alright!, you'll have to post pics of it on your driveway! We have a hilly driveway too, but not 17 deg. Also does it have the same planetary gear CVT system like the Prius up front? I wouldn't think they would go to a belt/chain cvt but I can't find any details on it.

Last edited:
Alright!, you'll have to post pics of it on your driveway! We have a hilly driveway too, but not 17 deg. Also does it have the same planetary gear CVT system like the Prius up front? I wouldn't think they would go to a belt/chain cvt but I can't find any details on it.
Same but beefier. Will do!

20210923_114654.jpg
33568.jpeg

Yep.

But did he have to pay over msrp? 🤔
I paid MSRP + a $150ish doc fee. I purchased 10/125K Toyota warranty at $500 over cost as a thank-you to the dealer for not altering my trade-in value from the agreed upon amount (7,000 miles ago...secondary to shipping delays. They did not ONCE hem or haw about it. ZERO attempt to offer me less than what we agreed upon 7K miles ago. None.). That cost me $2300 (which is dead-on in line with what I have seen advertised on the forums + the $500). I suggested this, not them. Nor was I forced into it, or any other add-on. Trade-in was roughly $5K over KBB's valuation of my vehicle, but in-line with current market conditions. They charged me near retail for the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires I had them put on it, and I do not know what they charged for the mud flaps I requested. I think that was actually absorbed in the tire cost which might be why it looked a hair high?

Long story short, no. I paid MSRP and got a fair shake on the add-ons that I WANTED, and a killer deal on my trade-in.

I financed for 2.44% with my own CU.

ETA: I just checked. They charged me $1350 for 4 CrossClimate 2, 235/55/19 105H tires and Toyota mud flaps all around, all installed. Legit a good deal. Sadly I did not get credit for the OEM tires they took off, and their rationale is that 235/55/19 is a wonky size, and they aren't wrong. Oh, well. OEM tires aren't worth the energy it would take for me to carry them to the dumpster, so I digress.

Last edited:
NASCAR swag bag? 😀
Actually a bag of chocolate and other candies from a local store. It was a legit thoughtful thing and not just standard dealership fare. They also were honest and told me they'd appreciate a good score on the Toyota survey I will be getting. As far as I'm concerned, they could literally have done no better, and I'll give them the highest ratings across the board possible.

I have now tested it on my hill. It performs better than my CX5, shifting power to all 4 tires (more to the rear than front, just as it should, if the graphic is to be believed). There is no slip/grip what-so-ever. It just crawls right up it. Performs extremely well. I have had WRX, Crosstrek, Ford Edge, and all sorts of stuff down my hill, and none did better. Some equal, but none better. This checks all the boxes so far! Oh, 36.5mpg mostly running in HV mode (least efficient setting other than "CHARGE") on the way home from the dealer some 250mi away.

Back