Ratcheting wrenches: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I like the normal wrenches better. Nothing to wear out. I can't see a ratchet wrench holding up to be standing on it or holding a bolt as I have an impact wrench on the other side.

They're not designed for that and those applications would probably be considered abuse.

They make a lot of jobs faster and easier.

I've got a set of gearWrenches and they come in real handy, but prefer my older-style craftsman offset ratcheting wrenches as they're 6-point and easier on my hands.

They're really handy for working fasteners that you can't see or when there's limited space around them.

Thanks for the input guys. Apparently I was wrong to think Sears would keep the pricing all weekend on the Gearwrench sets, so I missed out due to being busy yesterday. I guess I'll wait until next sale or scour Ebay for some slightly used ones. Now I'll have to figure out if I want this 10-75 3/8 click torque wrench for 50% off, but those have been discussed many times on here.

Last edited:
Worth it? Yes.
Replace regular wrenches? No.
Brand? I'd choose the version that will get you the easiest warranty. I don't break many tools ever, but the ratcheting wrench is one that I have broken under regular use.

Sears on black Friday has had gearwrench sales the last few years.

I bought my USA made ratcheting box wrenches for around $40 a set (SAE, Metric). I got them from the factory that makes the Snap-on / Bluepoint ones. Kastar Manufacturing. They have a website and sometimes you can get them from E-bay or Amazon. They are ONLY box end and are reversible. They are an addition to a set if you already have regular combo or open end wrenches. They have the, "Latch on" feature which is a big improvement over the original box, ratchet wrenches. Oh yeah, they can be lubed and cleaned, opposed to the Chinese ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yucca
I wished I would have bought mine twenty years ago.

Nope, the newer ones by; Snap-on, Bluepoint or Kastar, have what is called Latch on technology. They are reversible and once fit over the nut properly, will not slide through now matter how long the bolt is. I love em'. Twenty years ago, they were a pain to keep on a long Shock absorber bolt.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I bought my USA made ratcheting box wrenches for around $40 a set (SAE, Metric). I got them from the factory that makes the Snap-on / Bluepoint ones. Kastar Manufacturing.

I assume the Kastar ones you're recommending are these laminated style?

Those are old technology, bulky and the ones I've seen aren't fine tooth. I don't think this is what the OP is considering.

http://www.amazon.com/Kastar-Latch-On-5-Piece-12-Point-Ratcheting/dp/B000GZN2OK
41AEj4hzDhL._SS500_.jpg

I assume the OP is talking about the modern design of ratcheting wrenches.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9317-Pi...ench+wrench+set
71Hfd8GCgIL._AA1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: yucca
I wished I would have bought mine twenty years ago.

Nope, the newer ones by; Snap-on, Bluepoint or Kastar, have what is called Latch on technology. They are reversible and once fit over the nut properly, will not slide through now matter how long the bolt is.

Gearwrench offers this same feature. It's called Capstop. It's available on a lot of the GW wrenches sold at Sears.

Last edited:
Yup, thats them. The Bluepoint are a little prettier and heavier for twice the price. That old style is cleanable and can be lubed. So far, I haven't had an incident where finer teeth were called for. They are made in USA also. Keep in mind that sometimes the newest technology is not always the best. Sometimes it is what is easiest and cheapest for the manufacturer. I have no idea what kind of mechanism is in the GR and I wouldn't trust my valuable knuckles to them. I also like that the old style is reversible. The GR are not. You have to make sure you have that thing turned the right way before you get it worked onto a nut. The old style certainly does not catch your eye like the new foreign ones for sure.
As for combination wrenches, I prefer having both, an open end 6pt combination and the ratcheting box wrenches in my box.
JMO

Last edited:
I also like that the old style is reversible. The GR are not. You have to make sure you have that thing turned the right way before you get it worked onto a nut. The old style certainly does not catch your eye like the new foreign ones for sure.

Gearwrench and other companies DO offer reversible wrenches, I just didn't post a picture of them.

You can also buy USA made ratcheting wrenches from companies like Armstrong, Snap-on, but they aren't cheap.

I think if you used the modern style you wouldn't go back to the old clunky ones.

Last edited:
My Blue-Point set is similar to standard combo wrenches with the angle (15°?) on the box end. They reverse with a lever.

They may not be US made since they're not the Snap-On name brand, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and they work very well for their intended purpose.

Last edited:
Well, since I already own the old type and I have no reason to buy more, I guess I'll never find out.

I apologize if my post came across as a criticism, it wasn't. I'm sure your wrenches work fine.

I was just clarifying there may be different styles under the same brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back