Right angle electric ratchet

As I was doing the timing belt on my car the other weekend, there was a few spots where it was working by complete feel, and thankfully I could get either a ratcheting wrench or a ratchet in there--but it was like, move 3 clicks and reset, take a few minutes to work the bolt in. I watch plenty of videos of these electric low power ratchets, and I have to ask, are they just nice to have and useful in some spots, but not likely as good as I'm hoping?

I have the Makita 18V line of tools, and was thinking of this, with one of my low ampacity batteries (for least size).
1690634219824.jpg

Problem is you need 2-3 of them to get everything.

I've been wanting a m12 but the right deal hasnt come along.

Would you want the smallest or one with extended reach.. dont know.. not a pro.

maybe the 1/4 drive reg and 3/8 extended to start with?

@Trav
@The Critic
@AutoMechanic

Last edited:
My son has the Milwaukee M12 and I have a Dewalt 20V. M12 is smaller, but the Dewalt is more powerful, both 3/8. He is an electrician and had some other lights and a heated coat that used the M12 batteries so he got the Milwaukee. I have all Dewalt stuff so I got the Dewalt ratchet when I came out. Probably can't go wrong with anything for home use. The Milwaukee is a little smaller.

As I was doing the timing belt on my car the other weekend, there was a few spots where it was working by complete feel, and thankfully I could get either a ratcheting wrench or a ratchet in there--but it was like, move 3 clicks and reset, take a few minutes to work the bolt in. I watch plenty of videos of these electric low power ratchets, and I have to ask, are they just nice to have and useful in some spots, but not likely as good as I'm hoping?

I have the Makita 18V line of tools, and was thinking of this, with one of my low ampacity batteries (for least size).
View attachment 169379
You're describing what sounds like tight quarters. Would the head and body of what you show have actually fit?

Also for most electric ratchets the head is not easily reversible, so if you back that fat head into a firewall or subframe, things get.....interesting. Just something to consider

edit: I really wanna see a cordless ratchet with a rocker switch ala power windows...

I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel 3/8 electric ratchet. It’s pretty strong. It’s taken some stuff off that I never thought it could. Fits in tight spots too. I want to get the 1/4 eventually. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Makita either they have some nice power tools. I’ve used a few coworkers but don’t own any personally though I’m considering for the house. And also the battery ratchet I have at the house is nice too it’s an Earthquake from Harbor Freight and it is a beast for what it is. They make good power and air tools I bought that because I know a few mobile mechanics that swear by them and they are good.

I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel 3/8 electric ratchet. It’s pretty strong. It’s taken some stuff off that I never thought it could. Fits in tight spots too. I want to get the 1/4 eventually. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Makita either they have some nice power tools. I’ve used a few coworkers but don’t own any personally though I’m considering for the house. And also the battery ratchet I have at the house is nice too it’s an Earthquake from Harbor Freight and it is a beast for what it is. They make good power and air tools I bought that because I know a few mobile mechanics that swear by them and they are good.
Pretty sure I've seen Watch Wes Work use a Hercules quite a bit. Seems to get the job done... although I'm personally not stepping into batteries for Harbor Freight anything

My son has the Milwaukee M12 and I have a Dewalt 20V. M12 is smaller, but the Dewalt is more powerful, both 3/8. He is an electrician and had some other lights and a heated coat that used the M12 batteries so he got the Milwaukee. I have all Dewalt stuff so I got the Dewalt ratchet when I came out. Probably can't go wrong with anything for home use. The Milwaukee is a little smaller.

To me the benefit of m12 is not having the bulky battery on the wrong end…

These things are obnoxiously large to begin with.

I own two m12 ratchets fwiw.

Yeah for M12 the option of the standard or XC batteries is nice for size vs power.

But I think the 18V turned as shown on the Makita is smart. Milwaukee seems to have never embraced that for M18 and I can't understand why

It’s a good question, were those places too tight for even a 1/4” drive? not sure. End of the day, a few choice words and it was done. [Motor mount between block and fender.]

Probably right though, for what I was looking at, I probably want both 1/4 and 3/8 drive, with both short and deep sockets. Else it might not actually work there—might be great for other applications, no doubt, but not a real gain either.

When the right deal comes along, I might have to snag it.

View attachment 169379

The Makita is a good tool but it is large and that is a negative all of them seem to have when using a larger battery.

Yeah for M12 the option of the standard or XC batteries is nice for size vs power.

But I think the 18V turned as shown on the Makita is smart. Milwaukee seems to have never embraced that for M18 and I can't understand why
Because it’s obnoxiously large, for no good reason. These aren’t impact tools. They’re intended to zip out loose fasteners.

Having a bulky battery on the end, even if one of the smaller 18/20v units, just seems ridiculous.

If it requires that much torque I’m going to use the right hand tool for the job, until it’s moving properly…

It’s a good question, were those places too tight for even a 1/4” drive? not sure. End of the day, a few choice words and it was done. [Motor mount between block and fender.]

Probably right though, for what I was looking at, I probably want both 1/4 and 3/8 drive, with both short and deep sockets. Else it might not actually work there—might be great for other applications, no doubt, but not a real gain either.

I personally can’t really justify the 1/4” electrics. I’m a huge fan of wrenching with 1/4”. I use it as much as O can. But to add a ridiculously sized electric ratchet is counter intuitive to me. Taking the nice small sockets and low component weight and attaching it to a big bulky handle seems counter intuitive. And the one or two places that a DIY may find use for it doesn’t seem to justify the price increases and high prices they’re now asking for these.

I personally can’t really justify the 1/4” electrics. I’m a huge fan of wrenching with 1/4”. I use it as much as O can. But to add a ridiculously sized electric ratchet is counter intuitive to me. Taking the nice small sockets and low component weight and attaching it to a big bulky handle seems counter intuitive. And the one or two places that a DIY may find use for it doesn’t seem to justify the price increases and high prices they’re now asking for these.
Fair enough. To be honest I think most of my 1/4" stuff has rolled away over the years (only recently got any sort of garage organization going on), so perhaps I should take stock of what 1/4" I have and just get a decent hand set for these tight quarters.

Reactions: D60

The M12 ratchets, non-Fuel 1/4 and 3/8 are 100% identical other than the drive anvil. I have the 3/8 which came with a 1/4 adapter. I’ve never seen a need to have an entire ratchet in both sizes. I realize the adapter increases the depth a bit.

It’s probably my favorite tool.

Back