Right angle electric ratchet

If you don't have one, I'd wait.

Milwaukee is about to release an M12 Fuel Extended Reach pass-through ratchet with pass-through sockets and adapters for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives.
I love tools. I love diy because you can buy the tool and still come out ahead.

More and more recently I’m scratching my head why?

M12 electric ratchets have gone up in price a lot since they came out. While other tools have dropped or just stayed par with inflation.

I kind of get the extended reach as Ive said before, these things are too bulky, even in the m12 form which is probably “best of”.

To be constrained to some pass through sockets puts you in a paradigm of a pretty expensive tool with less utility, and frankly, if I’m that badly hurting for room, I’d probably want to wrench with 1/4 drive hand tools anyway for maximum access. So it’s a win that it comes with adapters for 1/4 - 1/2 drive, which may be the saving grace, and supposedly it’s actually thinner with the adapter.

I may buy this to get an extended reach and 1/4” capability, neither of what I do have. I just have two regular 3/8” m12 ratchets. But time will tell…. We shall see if this is compelling… $399 is not… I’ve gone this long without a 1/4 electric ratchet…. I do love the two 3/8 m12 electric ratchets I own and use….

Last edited:
I picked up the M12 1/4" ratchet a couple years ago and it's great in tight places, especially changing hvac actuators...wish I had it sooner.

The Bosch 12V 1/4" driver has been my goto 1/4" for a long time and when it craps the bed I'll add the M12, but for small ratchets, the M12 could use a bit more power but it's not weak either

I have mostly all Dewalt 20V tools but the M12 has its place and I have a couple of those.

The M12 1/4" ratchet has decent power, using a 6" 1/4" extension on a swivel joint like the Koken can really reach into tight areas.

Screenshot_20230730-031127_Gallery.jpg

I love tools. I love diy because you can buy the tool and still come out ahead.

More and more recently I’m scratching my head why?

M12 electric ratchets have gone up in price a lot since they came out. While other tools have dropped or just stayed par with inflation.

I kind of get the extended reach as Ive said before, these things are too bulky, even in the m12 form which is probably “best of”.

To be constrained to some pass through sockets puts you in a paradigm of a pretty expensive tool with less utility, and frankly, if I’m that badly hurting for room, I’d probably want to wrench with 1/4 drive hand tools anyway for maximum access. So it’s a win that it comes with adapters for 1/4 - 1/2 drive, which may be the saving grace, and supposedly it’s actually thinner with the adapter.

I may buy this to get an extended reach and 1/4” capability, neither of what I do have. I just have two regular 3/8” m12 ratchets. But time will tell…. We shall see if this is compelling… $399 is not… I’ve gone this long without a 1/4 electric ratchet…. I do love the two 3/8 m12 electric ratchets I own and use….
I'm a professional who carries all their tools in the trunk of my car, not just a home gamer.

This new ratchet would give me more flexibility than the single M12 Fuel 1/4 I have now, giving me all 3 drive sizes without the addition length of a normal adapter.

The head shape and direction lever are also improvements in my opinion.

It's also $299 for the bare tool + sockets. The M12 Fuel Extended ratchet is $249 for the bare tool so the value is there.

Right angle is on my list. I may need it once or twice a year like I needed one a year or so ago ... But when you need it, you need it.

All my cordless tools are Makita. I may move the right angle up the list. I also have a sawzall on that list. I have a corded one that I used today but don't use it often enough to justify a cordless yet.

I'm a professional who carries all their tools in the trunk of my car, not just a home gamer.

This new ratchet would give me more flexibility than the single M12 Fuel 1/4 I have now, giving me all 3 drive sizes without the addition length of a normal adapter.

The head shape and direction lever are also improvements in my opinion.

It's also $299 for the bare tool + sockets. The M12 Fuel Extended ratchet is $249 for the bare tool so the value is there.
You still need to save a lot of time to justify another $299 expense ($399 if you want another battery, which is a consumable wear item, and whatnot IIRC) for something that you already have.

I see the merits of having the anvil adapters.

Head is still big compared to hand tools, direction lever never bothered me on my two 3/8 units.

Not trying to be argumentative, just not compelled. May become moreso in due time. I’m more surprised at the cost increases. I think I bought my first m12 kit for $149 with charger and battery, and the second bare tool for $99.

I picked up the M12 1/4" ratchet a couple years ago and it's great in tight places, especially changing hvac actuators...wish I had it sooner.

The Bosch 12V 1/4" driver has been my goto 1/4" for a long time and when it craps the bed I'll add the M12, but for small ratchets, the M12 could use a bit more power but it's not weak either

I have mostly all Dewalt 20V tools but the M12 has its place and I have a couple of those.

The M12 1/4" ratchet has decent power, using a 6" 1/4" extension on a swivel joint like the Koken can really reach into tight areas.

View attachment 169546
The m12 1/4 and 3/8 have the same 3/4” head size per everything I’ve seen, so I’m not sure how it’s better than anything else in tight spaces.

You still need to save a lot of time to justify another $299 expense
Not really, it's a drop in the bucket compared to some of my other tools that use far less frequently.

I’m more surprised at the cost increases. I think I bought my first m12 kit for $149 with charger and battery, and the second bare tool for $99.
I think that's what the regular M12 ratchets still sell for.

Not really, it's a drop in the bucket compared to some of my other tools that use far less frequently.

I think that's what the regular M12 ratchets still sell for.
It may be less than other seldom used tools. Question really is if those other tools have any real viable alternatives. Sometimes there isn’t much else that woukd work. I can think of about a million options for removing fasteners.

At 15s/fastener saved, take home pay of $60/hr, you need to remove 1200 fasteners that couldn’t be equally served by the electric units you already own. So probably in the big scheme ~5000 fasteners that you encounter. From a math perspective…

That said, I like tools :)

(Note I’m thinking about this harder than I should because I kind of want to find a justification to buy one… which I can’t easily make).

It may be less than other seldom used tools. Question really is if those other tools have any real viable alternatives. Sometimes there isn’t much else that woukd work. I can think of about a million options for removing fasteners.

At 15s/fastener saved, take home pay of $60/hr, you need to remove 1200 fasteners that couldn’t be equally served by the electric units you already own. So probably in the big scheme ~5000 fasteners that you encounter. From a math perspective…

That said, I like tools :)

(Note I’m thinking about this harder than I should because I kind of want to find a justification to buy one… which I can’t easily make).
You're not factoring in comfort, convenience, or overall fatigue. Or space in my toolbox for multiple drive sizes. Or having two ratchets on top on an aircraft instead of one.

It may not be justifiable for you. I'm upset that I missed the preorder.

You're not factoring in comfort, convenience, or overall fatigue. Or space in my toolbox for multiple drive sizes. Or having two ratchets on top on an aircraft instead of one.

I’m factoring it in for myself. Most of those factors I personally don’t care for. YMMV.

But I’m toying with the concept. Despite having two others.

Unless the preorder was a special deal, it’s probably better to wait out a special on a later build that has whatever kinks worked out.

Not every tool I buy can be justified on a pure time/value basis.

Many of them are completely justified because they work better, or faster, and my frustration level goes down.

I will gladly pay to lower frustration and increase productivity with regard to dollars per hour, or whatever.

The m12 1/4 and 3/8 have the same 3/4” head size per everything I’ve seen, so I’m not sure how it’s better than anything else in tight spaces

Interesting..

I was only speaking of the M12 I have and how it's great in tight spaces.

If the 3/8" has the same head insert then.....it might also be great in tight spaces..I don't have one. However it starts to defeat the purpose if you need to use a 3/8-1/4 adapter in some cases.

Most of the bolts or fasteners I use for the M12 are 10MM or less, occasional larger bolts or nuts, but it does well with the 13MM stuff.

I went with the 1/4" as I already have the DeWalt 20V and that is quite larger than the M12 and is saved for the more difficult tasks.

Screenshot_20230730-114816_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230730-114834_Gallery.jpg

DeWalt really needs a 20V 3/8 impact ratchet, would be a much welcomed addition.

@supton that Makita you posted looks nice, I just can't add another rabbit hole of a platform..lol.

Next large ratchet will be impact....the Milwaukee impact needs a bit more grunt for me...hoping this holiday season brings some goodies from the makers.

Interesting..

I was only speaking of the M12 I have and how it's great in tight spaces.

If the 3/8" has the same head insert then.....it might also be great in tight spaces..I don't have one. However it starts to defeat the purpose if you need to use a 3/8-1/4 adapter in some cases.

Most of the bolts or fasteners I use for the M12 are 10MM or less, occasional larger bolts or nuts, but it does well with the 13MM stuff.

I went with the 1/4" as I already have the DeWalt 20V and that is quite larger than the M12 and is saved for the more difficult tasks.

View attachment 169621

View attachment 169622

DeWalt really needs a 20V 3/8 impact ratchet, would be a much welcomed addition.

@supton that Makita you posted looks nice, I just can't add another rabbit hole of a platform..lol.

Next large ratchet will be impact....the Milwaukee impact needs a bit more grunt for me...hoping this holiday season brings some goodies from the makers.
Good insights/photos. That’s why I never bought a 1/4 m12 standard ratchet. If I really need the small delta between say a 1/4 drive 10mm socket, and a 3/8” drive 10mm socket, I’ll just use my hand tools and be done.

Impact rated ratchets are intriguing but I agree the power level needs to be a bit more interesting.

That’s why I never bought a 1/4 m12 standard ratchet. If I really need the small delta between say a 1/4 drive 10mm socket, and a 3/8” drive 10mm socket, I’ll just use my hand tools and be done.

Impact rated ratchets are intriguing but I agree the power level needs to be a bit more interesting.
I agree with all that. I guess it comes down to when you need that tiny angle of "ratcheting" and find yourself manually turning the adapter back to get that one "click" in tight areas gets cumbersome and It comes down to saving time and frustration.

The M12 has enough power for 1/4" tasks, and I can hand tighten the rest or get an inch-pound wrench in there.

I guess you are splitting hairs if you already know the powered ratchet will be time saving, as opposed to sticking with the hand ratchet and working more tediously in a money-making environment.

I agree with all that. I guess it comes down to when you need that tiny angle of "ratcheting" and find yourself manually turning the adapter back to get that one "click" in tight areas gets cumbersome and It comes down to saving time and frustration.

The M12 has enough power for 1/4" tasks, and I can hand tighten the rest or get an inch-pound wrench in there.

I guess you are splitting hairs if you already know the powered ratchet will be time saving, as opposed to sticking with the hand ratchet and working more tediously in a money-making environment.
The problem I’ve found is if you’re truly constrained to that tiny one click range with a ratchet, then the relatively large head and giant cylindrical body of the ratchet isn’t going to fit at all. And the extended reach ones are smaller but still much larger than a ratchet. Especially a 1/4 ratchet.

The problem I’ve found is if you’re truly constrained to that tiny one click range with a ratchet, then the relatively large head and giant cylindrical body of the ratchet isn’t going to fit at all. And the extended reach ones are smaller but still much larger than a ratchet. Especially a 1/4 ratchet.
Yes and no I suppose, the speed of the M12 is nice, running out 6MM fender liner bolts is a breeze, behind the dash panel with the right extensions and adapters, etc.

But again, the M12 has a fair amount of torque, it won't strip a M10 bolt, but can really crank them down.

If you know it will fit and already know what configuration you need, it's a time saver if you want to justify a purchase.

But I also agree that a hand ratchet with the right extensions will do the same job, but why do we use these power tools for the most part? To mainly save time and make the job easier when needed...can very well be a preference thing.

Back