Ram first oil change

First change on the 6.4, @ 579 miles.
No sparkles like I saw with the Mazda first change.

Factory filter was super tight. Used a XG10060 , it took a full 7 quarts. Used the Pennzoil 0w-40 srt oil that meets spec.

Truck is so tall, I had to use a step ladder while on the ramps.

IMG_20210909_210327395.jpg
IMG_20210912_114021364_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210912_110759804_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210912_115123860_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210912_123005013.jpg

The factory installed filters are definitely on the tight side. Tighter than most brands, IMO. Not sure why.

I cannot imagine doing a lift kit on one of these trucks. Servicing the truck would be a nightmare....same with loading the bed.

Also, at hot idle, the oil pressure is only in the mid 20's. I wonder if that is sufficient for extending idling.

My favorite part of these trucks is sliding under them without ramps. Its definitely a luxury of a tall truck and being young still but sure makes it easy. Even so its quite a lean to pour the oil in.

I love the amount of info the Chrysler gauges give. I've driven just about every make, and the infotainment and gauge layout of the FCAs is the easiest to use and most thought out I've encountered.

That was one of the quickest 1st OCI's I have ever seen - 578 miles? I usually run the 1st OCI to 1500-2000 miles. Any particular reason you changed so soon?

That was one of the quickest 1st OCI's I have ever seen - 578 miles? I usually run the 1st OCI to 1500-2000 miles. Any particular reason you changed so soon?
I'm an early changer. At close to 600 miles, I think most of the break-in metals are already in the oil. Anything too small for the filter to catch needs to come out.

I love the amount of info the Chrysler gauges give. I've driven just about every make, and the infotainment and gauge layout of the FCAs is the easiest to use and most thought out I've encountered.
Not sure how the new ones are. I’m a little irritated, my grandpa’s 14’ Grand Cherokee doesn’t display the coolant temperature, but my grandma’s 14’ Grand Caravan does.

The factory installed filters are definitely on the tight side. Tighter than most brands, IMO. Not sure why.

I cannot imagine doing a lift kit on one of these trucks. Servicing the truck would be a nightmare....same with loading the bed.

Also, at hot idle, the oil pressure is only in the mid 20's. I wonder if that is sufficient for extending idling.
Every factory filter I have removed was installed dry. Making removal tough. 20+ psi is plenty. The big blocks in the 60's and 70's would often flash the oil pressure light @ idle.

Every factory filter I have removed was installed dry. Making removal tough. 20+ psi is plenty. The big blocks in the 60's and 70's would often flash the oil pressure light @ idle.
That's what I think, filter on tight, dry.

As far as oil pressure. I'm not sure idling is good for these engines. Did the lifters in the 60's engines sit at the same angle as these newer hemi's and LS engines?

Not sure how the new ones are. I’m a little irritated, my grandpa’s 14’ Grand Cherokee doesn’t display the coolant temperature, but my grandma’s 14’ Grand Caravan does.
Might be trim level dependent. My wife's '14 Grand Cherokee is the Overland model and you can scroll thru and see water temp, oil pressure, volts, ride height, all sorts of data.

It should.... My '16 showed everything under the sun.

Reactions: JC1
That's what I think, filter on tight, dry.

As far as oil pressure. I'm not sure idling is good for these engines. Did the lifters in the 60's engines sit at the same angle as these newer hemi's and LS engines?

Are you thinking about how the oil gets from the body to the roller because of how flat they lay? Used to be that it was a combo of body flow-by and rod spray that hit the cam, but these engines have a lot in the way between the rods and camshaft. The pictures I've found have been inconsistent (some show oil drain holes in the bottom of the lifter body, some don't). I'd expect the roller lubrication is primarily from body flow-by, which should still be quite good as long as manufacturing tolerances on the clearances are good (lots of flow) since the bores themselves are pressure lubed. Roller engines are far less demanding in this department than FT ones, and since this engine was designed as roller from the get-go (unlike the SBC and SBF) it's a bit of a knee-jerk for us to get concerned about lubrication here.

My early ‘14 build JGC Overland (May ‘13) shows coolant, oil, and transmission temps. It takes some horizontal scrolling, but they are there.

I'm an early changer. At close to 600 miles, I think most of the break-in metals are already in the oil. Anything too small for the filter to catch needs to come out.
I used to do the early OC, but it never helped. Seemed to be luck of the draw on having a good engine or bad.
But I cant argue with it being a big V8 and having hydraulic lifters. Boy's gonna do what a boys gonna do!
ps: did GF give you some free oil?

Might be trim level dependent. My wife's '14 Grand Cherokee is the Overland model and you can scroll thru and see water temp, oil pressure, volts, ride height, all sorts of data.
It should.... My '16 showed everything under the sun.
My early ‘14 build JGC Overland (May ‘13) shows coolant, oil, and transmission temps. It takes some horizontal scrolling, but they are there.
Very strange. It’s a 2014 Limited with a build date of June 2013.

D7E0ED42-EFBD-4661-A9B1-898381DA7F5D.jpeg

Back