22 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins First oil change 17,500 Miles, consequences?

I have lots of vehicles, so don't keep track of the mileage between oil changes. When new I like to change the oil early, say 500 miles, after that they all get done once a year.

Buy some HPL Engine cleaner and start with a good synthetic going forward.

Why?

In the "old days" for fleet vehicles that weren't operated out of a centralized maintenance depot, the usual practice was "check oil level at each fuel fill" for whoever was driving it. I wonder if this is even done today?

All of that having to do with an OCI. Amazing.
Many people like to understand the root cause of the negligence highlighted by the OP. Maybe you don't like BITOG discussions switching from service intervals to societal issues, but there is definitely a connection in general. I appreciate people like Oilblivion who can make this connection crystal clear in just a few short paragraphs.

I would be worried more about the fuel filters having been replaced on time and oil should be checked every time before it’s fired up at the beginning of the day. Slip seating fleet vehicles causes problems in the long run vs assigned vehicles.

WE had this 2004 Ram Cummins at my old job.. 5.9.. I betya they might not have changed the oil in it every 30,000 miles.. and it got multiple drivers a day, people would leave it running for hours while not driving it,, beat to death.. it was past 200,000 city miles when I retired, thing wouldn't quit.. basically, if a person takes care of a Cummins ISB I'd be willing to bet it will last 800,000 miles or more becaue I know a couple people with Ram Cummins who are close to a million miles. So dont worry about what isn't your truck is my thoughts.
View attachment 158196
I’m not a Dodge/Ram guy, but if the truck is not in the salt belt, I’d probably agree with the 750k+ assessment for the Cummins. The rest of the truck, maybe not as much.

But if it’s in the salt belt, the truck will be rusted down to the frame long before the engine has seen it’s zenith.

Well, since that engine has several “eat your own vomit a few times” emissions systems, its cursed anyway long term. At least it finally got changed.

I’m not a Dodge/Ram guy, but if the truck is not in the salt belt, I’d probably agree with the 750k+ assessment for the Cummins. The rest of the truck, maybe not as much.

But if it’s in the salt belt, the truck will be rusted down to the frame long before the engine has seen it’s zenith.

That's why the Ram is referred to as a shipping crate.

Back