Racing oil in a street car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine that runs a very successful race team gave me 24 qts of Valvoline synthetic racing oil. It's 10w30 and says exceeds API service SH/CD.It is printed very prominently on the cases and the individual containers that it is for motorsports use only.I don't need it for any of my vehicles but both my young, cash strapped sons have older vehicles that could use some free oil.What exactly is in, or not in, a racing formula oil like this that precludes it from being used in a street engine?

As always thanks in advance.

Depends, but I believe in this case, it's just loaded with more ZDDP. You might want to check to see if it has the detergency needed for a daily driver.

I've seen this advisory on PZ 25-50 racing oil too.

Blend it in with common Valvoline oil ...or SuperTech for that matter
dunno.gif
(50/50 - still very cheap).

Thanks Buster.The detergency question was what I wondered about. I went to the data sheets at Valvoline and they mention several things such as reduced friction, etc but nothing about detergency, which is probably not that important in a race engine.Oh well it looks impressive in my ever growing stash of oil in my garage.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Thanks Buster.And Gary.Good suggestion on the blending.The detergency question was what I wondered about. I went to the data sheets at Valvoline and they mention several things such as reduced friction, etc but nothing about detergency, which is probably not that important in a race engine.Oh well it looks impressive in my ever growing stash of oil in my garage.
grin.gif

Oops, screwed that up. Trying to type,watch Mythbusters and talk to my daughter all at once.

Good thing your not chewing gum
grin.gif
I ran 10w-30 Valvoline VR-1 Exclusivly through my old turbo Talon and it worked flawlessly. However, Valvoline specifically states that VR-1 can be used in passenger cars as well as racing engines. Some of the other Valvoline racing oils are indeed low detergent formulas and you mentioned the warnings on the box yourself. If it was free and your sons are broke, then I don't see how bad it could be for a few free low mileage intervals. It'll protect the valvetrain, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back