Question for pour over coffee users.

Originally Posted by ripcord
If you think about it, K-cup coffee is vending machine coffee.

When I think vending machine I think of the absolute worst cup you've ever had in your life made consistently (badly) every time,

...and as bad as it is its 100% better than no coffee.

UD

s-l640.jpg

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by PimTac

I guess that is what is called flexible generationality. That might be a new word or phrase. Seems like everything else is becoming flexible. I'm slightly younger than you but I am a boomer.

A pretty good one as well. Patent Pending â„¢ - PimTac

The way I wrote that wasn't super clear - to clarify I was born in 66 and am 53.
I think Gen X was from 65- 73.?

The grinder part is important. I definitely prefer a burr, but Ive had great cups from a blade.

Takes more than it seems to put together a good cup of Joe.

UD

I gotcha.

When I think vending machine I think of the absolute worst cup you've ever had in your life made consistently (badly) every time,

UD

I remember lots of night shifts trying to drink coffee from the hospital vending machine. Sometimes it wouldn't dispense the coffee syrup so all you got was colored hot water. Sometimes it was the other way around.

God awful stuff. I eventually learned to brew my own at home and bring a thermos.

UD

While in France, I had espresso shots from a vending machine. They were fairly decent, IMO.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

UD

While in France, I had espresso shots from a vending machine. They were fairly decent, IMO.

The "Euros" had us beat for most of the 2000's vending machine wise actually being able to get something decent from them.They seem to do a lot more espresso over there.

We shun the dedicated pod type coffee machine at home and the office - far too much waste, and no good on top of it.

The japanese have the strangest pour over setups in hotel rooms.

UD

The "Euros" had us beat for most of the 2000's vending machine wise actually being able to get something decent from them.They seem to do a lot more espresso over there.

We shun the dedicated pod type coffee machine at home and the office - far too much waste, and no good on top of it.

I missed those but had coffee made from a siphon setup in a hotel cafe. That was good. One of the more potent coffees I've had was at the Ya Kun Kaya Toast in the airport in Manila. Talk about a eye opener. At 0500 that stuff got me upright in short order.

Our distributor in Japan built a coffee stand in our booth at Interbee.

The servers were extremely attractive Japanese ladies wearing identical outfits with smocks with bizarre attempts on them like - "Im best choice" or "yes good job"

You can see the " coffee bar" in the background - they poured a nice solid cup.

UD

IMG_3110.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few different ways I make coffee. My daily is the Moccamaster Cup One, makes 10oz cup at a time. On the weekend I use a Chemex. I also like the Clever Dripper, it's like French Press only with a filter and one I don't use much is a Melitta Ready Set Joe.

You have a kettle but is it a gooseneck?

Last edited:
It's not a gooseneck, it's a Oxo glass kettle 1.75 liter size which takes care of two of us. It has a regular spout.

A simple purchase decision for me could be a good glass French Press like a Bodum Chambord for example. On occasion I make coffee for guests so a larger size is preferable.

UD

Pizza anyone?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If you use reusable filter cups, I will allow you to use the Keurig.

Otherwise, they should be banned for being terribly wastful.

Man, these new gen X and Y largely don't care about the environment a bit.

Selfish, spoiled, wasteful lazy brats.

Maddening and Saddening

I have a stainless steel reusable filter cup. I totally agree, that's the ONLY way to own a Keurig. The repacked pods are a joke and a ripoff.

Yeah … lots of chatter … but as city council "crew changed" all of our recycling bins went away …

Today I bought a Kalita Wave 185 along with a large Hario glass carafe. Should have them along with filters by the end of the week along with some new coffee. The carafe is 800ml size so that should be enough for my daily intake.

There are several machines that provide pour over quality... assuming good beans and a decent burr grinder. There is validity to the SCA Golden Cup standard.
Moccamaster is at the top in terms of price... but there are others not so pricey. Oxo, Breville, Melitta, Bonovita, Bunn, Motif(US version of Melitta).
I scored two new Motif Essential machines with stainless, thermal carafes back in the Fall. I use a burr grinder.... Feima 600n, not very common but remarkably consistent for pour over grinding. I could probably up my game with water as I use our tap water in both houses but I get great coffee with it.

Well I brewed up my first coffee this morning using the Kalita. I have to say that it is a world of difference from the press pot coffee I was drinking before. The taste is very clean with no sludge. Using lighter roasts one can definitely taste more of the coffee nuances.

I'm sold.

Back