Quaker State Winter Synthetic Blend oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used this stuff for a couple winters (It usually goes on sale just before the winter at Cdn Tire for $2.xx bottle). It works well based solely on noises heard and how easily the engine turns over. This year, since I managed to get PP for dirt cheap, that'll be my winter oil. We'll see how it compares.
I'd use the QS winter again.

Alex.

PP won't gum up you engine like the green bottle of doom will. Look inside the oil fill after using Quaker State for 30K miles and all you see is sludge.
smile.gif

NOTE to Gary and everybody else on this forum...

Quaker State is BAD!!!! Pennzoil too!!!
laugh.gif

Ship all of it to me, and Ill put in my "cars that I dont care about"

Ill give you 10c a case for it since its junk....

ADMIN can you lock this post?????
smirk.gif

Do you know who produces the stuff that is in the green bottle?...the same people who formulate the fabulous yellow bottle...I can't believe you would change oil all these years and not know that SOPUS blends the green bottle...QS is serviceable oil...you must be joking with us? If you are serious then I am glad you're here...keep reading...

And now back to our program...does anyone know the CCS of this oil at -35°? I looked on the website but couldn't find any specs...not being lazy just thought someone here might be a fan of this oil and could point me in the right direction....

Quote:

.........And now back to our program...does anyone know the CCS of this oil at -35°? I looked on the website but couldn't find any specs..........

For the 5W30:
CCS= 3750 cP @ -30C
MRV= 8100 cP @-35C

Quote:

Are you just jumping to that conclusion or you've seen some specs for it that show more ZDDP?

As I sais, "IMO." It has been discussed that the higher zddp is good for flat tappen camshafts, particularly in high performance engines. SM probably will do fine for general applications. I just prefer having extra for a margin of safety. Same for oil viscosity. Don't care for 5w20 when 10w30 works fine and gives margin of safety on HTHS and oil film over 5w20.

The walmart here stocks it all winter, then blows it out in the spring for $1 per quart.

I buy it all up in the spring, and have ran it in various cars.

Quote:

Are you just jumping to that conclusion or you've seen some specs for it that show more ZDDP?

Whoops. Think I totally misread your point. You mean the conclusion that the SL has more zddp. The phosphorus limit was reduced for SM from around 1000 for SL to around 800 for SM. Zinc usually goes down when phosphorus does because normally they are tied together in the zddp. Product sheets for most SL I have looked at are around 1000 ppm for z and p, whereas SM data sheets typically show arond 750 ppm for each, usually phosphorus lower of the two.

Quote:

Quote:

.........And now back to our program...does anyone know the CCS of this oil at -35°? I looked on the website but couldn't find any specs..........

For the 5W30:
CCS= 3750 cP @ -30C
MRV= 8100 cP @-35C

With a cold cranking spec this stout I would use this oil if I frequently saw sub-zero temperatures during Winter...which I do...but this oil has not been available here for a couple of years...Wonder how SOPUS gets such a good CCS...quite possibly a lighter than ususal base oil blended with slighty more VI index improvers....

Quote:

Quote:

Whoops. Think I totally misread your point. You mean the conclusion that the SL has more zddp. The phosphorus limit was reduced for SM from around 1000 for SL to around 800 for SM. Zinc usually goes down when phosphorus does because normally they are tied together in the zddp. Product sheets for most SL I have looked at are around 1000 ppm for z and p, whereas SM data sheets typically show arond 750 ppm for each, usually phosphorus lower of the two.

I know, I've read all the previous posts about SL vs SM, ZDDP, etc.
What I mean is how do you know that this PARTICULAR oil has (much) more ZDDP? Based on the SL label alone, or some other info. Or just guessing. Sounds like you are guessing.

It is not a crticism or anything like that. Just curios where your info is from.

Well Bob, I'm just guessing, but educated guess. Perhaps the data sheet is up on QS web site to see what they say, or can call them. Are you looking for more zddp?

hmmm... looks good. seeing as its on sale at Canadian Tire, i think i may grab a case and give it a run in our company delivery van.

will it be ok during the summer too, or do i need to drain it immediately come spring?

Nah, just a great deal I couldn't pass. I didn't even know it was SL until after I put it into trunk. As my driving is rather mundane and here in Canada we don't have too much heat, I am not too concerned about ZDDP level. That being said I don't mind a higher ZDDP content either.

No, I was just curios why would there still be SL oil on sale such a long time after SM was introduced. Old inventory or QS doing it on purpose.

Also, I would expect SL (ZDDP) for thicker oil used in summer when engine runs hotter. I would think there is less of a need for ZDDP during cold winter days. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back