Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Syn 5W40 European

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Looks like a good one for the Euro crowd - not as much calcium as some of the other popular ones so good for LSPI.

OilReports-page-001.jpg

Will be interesting to see how much shear resistance it displays since it's starting quite thin.

Will be interesting to see how much shear resistance it displays since it's starting quite thin.
I'll know in about 2K miles. Then in with the M1 FSx2 5W40. Then...I'll probably just go back to Liquimoly b/c I'm a fanboi...hahahah

Is this API SP oil? If so, or I guess regardless, do oil analysis reports indicate SAPS levels? I am wondering also if SP limits SAPS. This seems like essentially a 30 grade API SN+/SP oil with presumably the benefit of a higher HTHS value. If it has too much calcium for a Dexros1 Gen2 cert, it can't be too far off. At least nothing like typical euro oil levels. When looking for a 30 grade SP oil for an engine that might dilute a bit, this seems like the better choice than PP 5w-30, for example. At least it would become a 30 grade quickly rather than cease being a 30 grade.

Is this API SP oil? If so, or I guess regardless, do oil analysis reports indicate SAPS levels? I am wondering also if SP limits SAPS. This seems like essentially a 30 grade API SN+/SP oil with presumably the benefit of a higher HTHS value. If it has too much calcium for a Dexros1 Gen2 cert, it can't be too far off. At least nothing like typical euro oil levels. When looking for a 30 grade SP oil for an engine that might dilute a bit, this seems like the better choice than PP 5w-30, for example. At least it would become a 30 grade quickly rather than cease being a 30 grade.
It's a full saps SN Plus Euro oil.

I am wondering also if SP limits SAPS.
Phosphorus is limited to 800 ppm in SP oils. SN exempts xxW-40 and heavier oils from this limit, hence the SN rating for this product.

thank you for the info and the link. 920 seems not that much over the 800 limit. Motorcraft 5w-30 is in the 700s I believe. Is the phosphorus value alone a reliable indicator of the SAPS level of an oil?

thank you for the info and the link. 920 seems not that much over the 800 limit. Motorcraft 5w-30 is in the 700s I believe. Is the phosphorus value alone a reliable indicator of the SAPS level of an oil?
You're welcome.
920 isn't a lot over the limit, but is considerably higher than many ILSAC oils contain today.
As SAPS content is generally measured by several elements and compounds, phosphorus alone isn't a measurement of SAPS content. Also zinc, calcium, and magnesium levels will show up in an oil analysis and can indicate SAPS values. Sulphur content is another component.

Thank you again- Would the higher SAPS level than what would be found in a 5w-30 SP oil be detrimental to an engine that called for a SP 5w-30? Specifically, a 2020 2.7 Ecoboost. (A twin turbo gasoline with both direct and port injection.)

You're welcome.
920 isn't a lot over the limit, but is considerably higher than many ILSAC oils contain today.
As SAPS content is generally measured by several elements and compounds, phosphorus alone isn't a measurement of SAPS content. Also zinc, calcium, and magnesium levels will show up in an oil analysis and can indicate SAPS values. Sulphur content is another component.
Phosphorus in and of itself doesn't contribute to the SA value, right? Only when coupled with a metal.

How would sulfur be determined when sulfuric acid is used to perform the test?

Thank you again- Would the higher SAPS level than what would be found in a 5w-30 SP oil be detrimental to an engine that called for a SP 5w-30? Specifically, a 2020 2.7 Ecoboost. (A twin turbo gasoline with both direct and port injection.)
I don't like to speculate, but I can say say a couple of things.
It is said that a high calcium level, which through chemical reaction can lead to higher levels of sulfated ash, can exacerbate low speed pre-ignition in turbocharged, gasoline, direct injection engines. I understand this is more prevalent in engines smaller than yours.
I would be certain to use, and document the use of, oils certified to comply with the warranty requirements of my engine. After the warranty expires, you could experiment a bit. Avoid giving the OEM a reason to deny a warranty repair.

Phosphorus in and of itself doesn't contribute to the SA value, right? Only when coupled with a metal.
My understanding is that is so. Of course you know Phosphorus represents the P in SAPS
How would sulfur be determined when sulfuric acid is used to perform the test?
Other than taking the word of the blender, I don't know. That's a question for someone who got better than a C in chemistry. 😂

My understanding is that is so. Of course you know Phosphorus represents the P in SAPS

Other than taking the word of the blender, I don't know. That's a question for someone who got better than a C in chemistry. 😂
Right, just as the second S stands for sulfur. But it’s not the “SAPS test”, SAPS stands for the Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulfur in the oil in a very general sense. There’s no value for SAPS, there are just high, regular or low-SAPS oils. The reported value is the sulfated ash (SA) which is really just the “ash” since the sulfated ash test reacts the metallic elements with sulfuric acid. There’s not “sulfated ash” in the motor oil per se since it is sulfated during the ASTM procedure. It essentially reports the amount of non-combustible material present in the oil sample.

I do have a minor in chemistry which included a grand total of one fuels and lubricants class with a lab, so I’m no expert either.

Last edited:
Right, just as the second S stands for sulfur. But it’s not the “SAPS test”, SAPS stands for the Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulfur in the oil in a very general sense. There’s no value for SAPS, there are just high, regular or low-SAPS oils. The reported value is the sulfated ash (SA) which is really just the “ash” since the sulfated ash test reacts the metallic elements with sulfuric acid. There’s not “sulfated ash” in the motor oil per se since it is sulfated during the ASTM procedure. It essentially reports the amount of non-combustible material present in the oil sample.

I do have a minor in chemistry which included a grand total of one fuels and lubricants class with a lab, so I’m no expert either.
That coincides with my understanding. Not from university level coursework, but from many technical workshops geared towards a sales force. We would be given rudimentary background so we would at least a basic working knowledge. If we needed assistance, chemical engineers were just a phone call away. Those were rare occasions, as seldom did our customers or prospects require that level of technical knowledge.

I don't like to speculate, but I can say say a couple of things.
It is said that a high calcium level, which through chemical reaction can lead to higher levels of sulfated ash, can exacerbate low speed pre-ignition in turbocharged, gasoline, direct injection engines. I understand this is more prevalent in engines smaller than yours.
I would be certain to use, and document the use of, oils certified to comply with the warranty requirements of my engine. After the warranty expires, you could experiment a bit. Avoid giving the OEM a reason to deny a warranty repair.
Solid advice, well taken. RGT 5w-30 is on its way in as it carries the motorcraft 946-B1 cert, next will be a 961-A1, the SP version of the same. I realize that these are appropriate oils and will serve the engine perfectly, but there is something addictive about pursuing a higher HTHS value that what would be in an SP (only) bottle. I guess that, and the Hyundai example above makes me want to put an oil like this in, again, for not detectable benefit other than satisfaction.

Back