Quaker state full synthetic vs Quaker state full synthetic ultimate durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Better" I honestly cannot answer, I'm guessing a more current add pack that meats the newest API standards. Me personally, I would go for the newest formulation. I'd guess it should be better since lubrication is an ever-evolving technology (y)
Right now Walmart has QS HM full synthetic on sale for $18.97. Is it worth for my 2001 Pontiac grand prix with 3800 V6 117k miles? I never used synthetic or high mileage oil in my 3800v6.

Basically. Also d1g3 approved which is an improvement over d1g2. But gm only gives it to 0w-20 and 5w-30 grades not 5w-20 or 10w-30 which I think is silly.
Dexos testing and approvals are paid for. If the oil maker pays for Dexos testing for *only* their 0w20 and 5w30 oils, then those are the only oils that will be tested and (hopefully) approved. Typically an oil maker will pay for Dexos testing for only a few of their most popular oils. And I can see why an oil maker would not shell out the money to test all of their different flavors: 0w16 0w20 0w30 0w40 5w20 5w30 5w40 10w30 10w40 10w50 10w60 20w50... plus the HM versions... plus the EP versions. That is a LOT of flavors and gets expensive fast.

Well plus each dexos license only permits certain grades and winter ratings. None of them allow a 10W winter rating or higher, nor are there any 50-grades or higher.

Dexos testing and approvals are paid for. If the oil maker pays for Dexos testing for *only* their 0w20 and 5w30 oils, then those are the only oils that will be tested and (hopefully) approved. Typically an oil maker will pay for Dexos testing for only a few of their most popular oils. And I can see why an oil maker would not shell out the money to test all of their different flavors: 0w16 0w20 0w30 0w40 5w20 5w30 5w40 10w30 10w40 10w50 10w60 20w50... plus the HM versions... plus the EP versions. That is a LOT of flavors and gets expensive fast.
I know. Amsoil, redline. or hpl oil without a gm dexos, ford wss, bmw, ect approval doesn't mean the cheapest oil with it is better than it. They just know that their customer base won't be enough to make up the cost of getting the certification. And the consumer can rest assured that its at least good and also safe enough to use per manufacturer standards. Which is just fine for the most people. Buying the cheapest certified oil for use with the engine and using those savings to spend more on a better oil filter and/or just change it more frequently is a guaranteed safe bet for long term ownership that reduces the amount of work a regular joe has to do to figure out what to use. But some of us bitogers like to complicate things and use hdeo's or euro oils that manuals don't call for and go longer. Ill use an oil that isn't dexos approved in my 2021 as long as it wont cause lspi and damage it. But that cant happen if I just stop being a knucklehead and use a dexos oil which most people would rather do. But i refuse.

I just bought a jug and it didn't indicate gen 3. Do the jugs say it yet or is it just listed on the approval list?
They have the license on their website but is also for 0w-20 and 5w-30 only but the HM oils don't appear to have it as it's a different oil they'd have to spend money on getting approved.

They have the license on their website but is also for 0w-20 and 5w-30 only but the HM oils don't appear to have it as it's a different oil they'd have to spend money on getting approved.
Yeah it was 0W-20, non HM. Purchased from WM which is pretty high turnover, so should be relatively new stock.

They probably didn't update the packaging just yet but it's the same formulation. https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/e18feccd-2a27-4bb7-9c47-e109ad4c3445.pdf
I think SOPUS is slow and now is just getting their D1G3 (Dexos 1/Gen3) packaging out. Bought two 5 quart jugs of PP yesterday at Walmart. Four jugs on the shelf. Two jugs (I bought these) were D1G3 and had a production date of early May 2022. Two other jugs were D1G2 and had a March 22 production date. I suspect the QSFS D1G3 packaging will be coming out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back