Quaker State Euro L 5w30 isn't 30 weight

Patman

Staff member
I was looking up the technical specs on Quaker State's Euro L 5w30 and noticed that it's viscosity is 13 cst at 100c, making this oil a 5w40. How can they label this a 30 weight oil when it's clearly out of the range of a 30 weight oil? (it needs to be between 9.3 and 12.4 cst at 100c)

I've given up on emailing big oil companies, they rarely answer their emails and when they do they never seem to have a clue about anything technical, they just use marketing people to answer them
Yeah if you call them you'll just be talking to a typical call center employee.

Run the oil for an oil change interval and see how the oil viscosity turns out. I would rather have a thick end 30 wt than a thin end 30 wt that is a 20 wt. after use.

Run the oil for an oil change interval and see how the oil viscosity turns out. I would rather have a thick end 30 wt than a thin end 30 wt that is a 20 wt. after use.

I don't plan on switching my Corvette over to any other oil as long as they keep making Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. It's the only oil I've ever run in it so far and I'm happy with it's performance. But if they ever stop making it I would go with something like Quaker State Euro 5w30 or Pennzoil Euro 5w30, as I like the thicker 5w30s (with their higher HTHS numbers) for this engine.

Not in play here but in my experience Valvoline answers emails promptly and intelligently. At least they used to.

I use a lot of Shell products and believe they are top notch but their data sheets have been consistently and perplexingly bad.

My guess is it is 12.5cst like PP euro l 5w30 as they are likely the same oil just different bottles. QSFS Euro 5w40 is 13.3cst so probably is just a mistake in the print for the 5w30. Could be wrong but just a thought

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-102144_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-102144_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220901-102444_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-102444_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
I used to own a Volkswagen TDI that required the 507.00 spec oils… Most if not all of them were heavy 30 weight oils and their low temperature cranking were on the higher end as I often thought of the 507 oils as a heavy robust 10w30/40 oil that gave up low temperature performance for lower volatility-original Mobil 1 5w30 esp had noack of 5.4, excellent high temperature stability-most had excellent high flashpoint numbers, and higher viscosities for thirty weight oils to give the Diesel engine similar protection that traditional forty weight oils gave, but relatively lighter viscosity also gave better fuel economy compared with a forty weight oil.

Back