QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

@KCJeep thoughts? Here's all my Euro VOA data tabulated.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
They seem to have difficulty making anything thick with predominately GTL base and all of their GTL base oils seem thin for grade. But I also think it's Blackstone, surely Shell would not produce a 40 grade that didn't at least barely make 40 grade.
It should be, what, 12.9? That is a big difference.

Just copied from his VOA above. I actually submitted one for VOA too and I'll just still have them run it b/c why not/more data.
I'm glad we have a VOA but I'm also glad another is coming. Everything looks too high to me on that one except viscosity, which is low. I'm calling Blackstone shenanigans.... :rolleyes: I have seen other Blackstone analysis that looked about 20% high on everything, don't know what they do, but those also usually included viscosity. I dunno. I believe the PDS has this oil barely over 12.5 cst@100 to make 40 grade.

At least we have confirmed the add pack appears very similar in composition to PP (if not quantities).

Question about SAPS levels...if my engine (a US auto) calls for SN+ or now a SP oil but I know that generally all non-Euro or North American car market oils are low or mid SAPS, is there even the slightest chance that using an oil like this, even though it is an API SP oil will be detrimental to valves, catalysts, etc? I like the benefit of a higher HTHS than the run of the mill 40 grade SP oil but not at the expense anything in the engine or emissions systems due to ash.

The QSUD Euro 5w40 is full saps but is still formulated to be LSPI friendly (low calcium plus magnesium add pack) versus the very high calcium add pack often found in Euro oils.

I'm glad we have a VOA but I'm also glad another is coming. Everything looks too high to me on that one except viscosity, which is low. I'm calling Blackstone shenanigans.... :rolleyes: I have seen other Blackstone analysis that looked about 20% high on everything, don't know what they do, but those also usually included viscosity. I dunno. I believe the PDS has this oil barely over 12.5 cst@100 to make 40 grade.

At least we have confirmed the add pack appears very similar in composition to PP (if not quantities).
The problem here is that both Blackstone and PP are note examples of consistency and accuracy. Though Blackstone actually says that their VOA will not be that accurate as methodology is more geared toward UOA.

If their boron and moly levels are true that’s a stout looking oil
QSUD is known for good amount of moly. 5W-30 A5/B5 had Mo 129. Don't know if the new QS FS 5W-30 has same amount though.
Hope it was just a name change and add pack remained the same.

The problem here is that both Blackstone and PP are note examples of consistency and accuracy. Though Blackstone actually says that their VOA will not be that accurate as methodology is more geared toward UOA.
Why don’t more people use ALS, through NAPA, WIX etc. It’s a lot cheaper, more accurate and includes TBN and soot.

you wanted a budget a3/b4 oil and you got it. corners had to be cut somewhere

in typical sopus fashion it’s pretty much out of grade but for the price you can look over that.

Last edited:
Back