QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

I am starting to wonder if SOPUS teamed with Wally's to dump off a bunch of SN Plus overstock, and now their moving on. I hope not.
I definitely think you're on to something there unfortunately. It's not on the Walmart website when I search for it anymore, though still is on the app. So doesn't look like they're going to stock it just for online orders either. It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to determine if it was a fast or slow seller, but I could be wrong. The locations that are dumping it have a much smaller Quaker State product section overall than before.

Yeah that would be really interesting, probably go over as well as Valvoline Modern Engine haha. Didn't have the chance to take a pic at Wally World, so it's next in line after the Ravenol. Gonna try that this winter and see it actually makes a difference in starting, over a typical LL-01 5w-30/40.
Both are the same approximate HT/HS and the same winter rating?

I definitely think you're on to something there unfortunately. It's not on the Walmart website when I search for it anymore, though still is on the app. So doesn't look like they're going to stock it just for online orders either. It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to determine if it was a fast or slow seller, but I could be wrong. The locations that are dumping it have a much smaller Quaker State product section overall than before.

BITOG discovered this gem about May 7th, less than 2 months later it's already on clearance? I think I'm going to start grabbing some while available it's exactly what I want at a great price.

I found a different way to search Wally's and sure enough it's now showing up on clearance at a couple near me (but not all). Just sent the wife out with pictures LOL.

At this point I'm convinced Shell had a surplus of PP Euro SN plus left over and they unloaded it this way. I'm hoping to snag at least 8 OCI's worth, it was a smoking deal at regular price. I can use it in literally all of my vehicles so it's just a win all the way around.

Well I've managed to score 11 OCI's worth of this on clearance. It may have turned out to be a flash in the pan but I'm going to get my use out of it anyway LOL. Already in the Passat and my son in law to be's car. Almost all I found was SN plus, I think maybe one jug of SP but I don't think in this case there is any difference anyway.

Both are the same approximate HT/HS and the same winter rating?
Apologize for the delayed reply. The Ravenol SSO I'm going to try this winter is the same HT/HS (3.57), but is a 0w-30 as apposed to the 5w-30 Bmw TPT I had last winter. Viscosity is a little thinner @ 40 C, but about the same @ 100 C. It's approved for LL-98 and MB 229.5.

Last winter was my first one with the X5 and at temps below -10F it would crank slower, which is a bit sooner than my non-euro cars. But my main issue was at temps below -20F, it would start, almost stall out for a few seconds, then idle fine. Had it at the local Indy and they couldn't replicate it or find any issue. I've only had Asian and US vehicles the past 7 years I've lived up here. I've used 5w-20 or 5w-30 wally world oils in all with no issues, other than the expected slower cranking speeds at temps below -15ish.

I'm not sure if I'm just not used to thicker euro oils and their behavior below 0F, or if it's something else entirely. So I'm curious if the 0w will make any difference with those issues or not. Might be an even more interesting comparison now that I'm running QS Euro 5w-40 until late December.

Well I've managed to score 11 OCI's worth of this on clearance. It may have turned out to be a flash in the pan but I'm going to get my use out of it anyway LOL. Already in the Passat and my son in law to be's car. Almost all I found was SN plus, I think maybe one jug of SP but I don't think in this case there is any difference anyway.
That's a good haul! I found 3 more OCI's worth for 7 total, so I should be set for the next 2-3 years lol. All I found was SN plus here, but I agree looks like it was definitely a flash sale on old stock. Not gonna argue with them though, great oil and was a big money saver at about $15 per change with 7 qts each.

I bought 2 jugs for the regular price yesterday. They had 4. Two were sn+ and 2 were sp. I got the sn+. Guess they haven't gotten the clearance orders in northwestern Va.

Apologize for the delayed reply. The Ravenol SSO I'm going to try this winter is the same HT/HS (3.57), but is a 0w-30 as apposed to the 5w-30 Bmw TPT I had last winter. Viscosity is a little thinner @ 40 C, but about the same @ 100 C. It's approved for LL-98 and MB 229.5.

Last winter was my first one with the X5 and at temps below -10F it would crank slower, which is a bit sooner than my non-euro cars. But my main issue was at temps below -20F, it would start, almost stall out for a few seconds, then idle fine. Had it at the local Indy and they couldn't replicate it or find any issue. I've only had Asian and US vehicles the past 7 years I've lived up here. I've used 5w-20 or 5w-30 wally world oils in all with no issues, other than the expected slower cranking speeds at temps below -15ish.

I'm not sure if I'm just not used to thicker euro oils and their behavior below 0F, or if it's something else entirely. So I'm curious if the 0w will make any difference with those issues or not. Might be an even more interesting comparison now that I'm running QS Euro 5w-40 until late December.
An oil of the same grade with a 0W winter rating is only guaranteed to be thinner than one with a 5W rating at temperatures below -35F or so. Above that it may be slightly thicker or thinner, but only slightly.

Walmart report from the WA state. I hit three stores in western WA and found one had none, with no shelf tag, and two others had it at normal $18.97 price. I went ahead and bought three left at one store I visited. What was odd there, was three jugs on the shelf, but no shelf tag. But it scanned a the normal price. The other store that still had stock had two jugs and the shelf tag still there.

I may hit a couple more stores tomorrow out of curiosity.

Curious what's going on...doesn't seem consistent across the USA

Its regular price here, but they've physically moved all of it to the clearance shelf off to the side. Only a couple jugs left, where as a few months ago there was tons of it. Sad, this was shaping up to be my new go-to oil. Guess I'm going to have to whip out an additional $4 and go back to M1 0W-40 for everything again.

It's showing up on clearance here at stores that were regular price when some others were already down to $10 bucks a jug, all within 50 miles of each other. I believe it will be clearance everywhere soon.

I learned you can see which stores have it on clearance by doing individual store searches, saves some driving around.

There is still more floating around here but I've got 11 OCI's worth so I'm done. By the time that's used up I'm sure there will be something else that will check all my boxes.

Saw a few bottles today - still reg price here in Richmond VA.

Picked up 5 jugs at Walmart near me...

$14 a jug...

I think I have 11 oil changes for the Smart...

I believe this is the same brew as Pennzoil Euro, Shell Helix, and a few others...
The 0W-40 and 5W-40 versions also have the same additive package...

Picked up 5 jugs at Walmart near me...

$14 a jug...

I think I have 11 oil changes for the Smart...

I believe this is the same brew as Pennzoil Euro, Shell Helix, and a few others...
The 0W-40 and 5W-40 versions also have the same additive package...
You're good for, what, about 7-8 years now? Used to have an 08 Smart....fun car and so easy to change oil and filter.

Back