QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

I wonder if the thinning is "baked into the formula" or if this wasn't anticipated to happen so soon into an interval by Shell.
Seems like most of the A3/B4 oils carrying MB229.5 in 0W30/0W40, and 5W30/5W40, I really view them as being the same grade it's like they're formulated targeting and a certain HTHS with volatility below 10% which results in a final product that has a KV100 right on the edge of 30 or 40 grade.

Just copied from his VOA above. I actually submitted one for VOA too and I'll just still have them run it b/c why not/more data.
You should try the Wix kits from ALS. Get them on Amazon for about $12. Tbn included.

M1 0w40 is the best thing since sliced bread. It even goes well on sliced bread.

Moving on from M1 0w40 FS and the Castrol 0w40 Edge European product, this might be the best price / performance Euro oil out there now. Pennzoil brands have had the newest formulations (at some point) and seem aggressive with their push to API SN Plus and now API SP on this 5w40 Euro QS product.

Short of the debate on PAO content on Castrol - this QS product has the latest API Donut, LL-01+ MB and Porsche A40 approvals with perhaps a 3.8 HTHS. BITOG should be flipping out at a sub $20 USD 5 QT product. I for one might have to add it to the collection.

Moving on from M1 0w40 FS and the Castrol 0w40 Edge European product, this might be the best price / performance Euro oil out there now. Pennzoil brands have had the newest formulations (at some point) and seem aggressive with their push to API SN Plus and now API SP on this 5w40 Euro QS product.

Short of the debate on PAO content on Castrol - this QS product has the latest API Donut, LL-01+ MB and Porsche A40 approvals with perhaps a 3.8 HTHS. BITOG should be flipping out at a sub $20 USD 5 QT product. I for one might have to add it to the collection.
Nope - I don't think so.

Question: best oil for the (about the same) price: QS 5w40 or PP Euro L 5w30 Requirements: low LSPI risk and low intake valve deposit risk in an American TGDI engine where either a 30 or 40 grade would be acceptable. *Or said another way, LL01 vs LL04, non-dexos vs dexos2, MB229.5 vs MB229.51, A3B4 vs C3, SP vs SN.
(If I am reading the bottles correctly, only the dexos, MB and API details are actual approvals, all others mentioned are simply "formulated to meet or exceed".)

Question: best oil for the (about the same) price: QS 5w40 or PP Euro L 5w30 Requirements: low LSPI risk and low intake valve deposit risk in an American TGDI engine where either a 30 or 40 grade would be acceptable. *Or said another way, LL01 vs LL04, non-dexos vs dexos2, MB229.5 vs MB229.51, A3B4 vs C3, SP vs SN.
(If I am reading the bottles correctly, only the dexos, MB and API details are actual approvals, all others mentioned are simply "formulated to meet or exceed".)
While I agree this is a interesting choice of words, their website doesn't indicate that same wording. Also https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/qsud-5w-40-now-at-walmart.338509/post-5727217 . Look at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166908-0001.pdf as well.

PP Euro L for anyone who has a DPF, or is sensitive to any research that might say valve deposits are lessened with lower SAPs, this MID SAPs oil is great and cheap at 22 bucks 5 qt. For more SAP action, QS 5w40 Euro seems great at API SP + LL-01 and the usual host of European specs.

M1 and their (relatively) hassle free rebate is hard to beat. 👍

M1 and their (relatively) hassle free rebate is hard to beat. 👍
Hardly hassle free - first time doing it for me and they didn't include the 0W40 or 5W40. Wrote a letter. PITA and never did get my money. I'll tell you what's zero drama - FCP Euro's lifetime replacement on Liquimoly oil change kits and that's a big zero/free vs. $10 back.

Hardly hassle free - first time doing it for me and they didn't include the 0W40 or 5W40. Wrote a letter. PITA and never did get my money. I'll tell you what's zero drama - FCP Euro's lifetime replacement on Liquimoly oil change kits and that's a big zero/free vs. $10 back.
FCP has thousands of my dollars. I’ve done a lot of business with them. Haven’t done the oil change thing yet. I don’t have time to deal with and ship back used oil. You foot the bill for that too.

FCP has thousands of my dollars. I’ve done a lot of business with them. Haven’t done the oil change thing yet. I don’t have time to deal with and ship back used oil. You foot the bill for that too.
You can get a refund on return shipping through paypal for upto 12 returns a year, although I'm surprised more places haven't dropped paypal due to them requiring the seller to eat the 2.9% fee on returns and cancelled orders, Paypal has turned rediculously greedy, used to be when a merchant refunded a transaction Paypal got to keep the 30 cent flat fee which was fair but now, say someone orders the wrong $1000 part and wants to cancel before it ships, now the merchant is out $29.30 for that purchase and PayPal did nothing worth keeping that $29.

You can get a refund on return shipping through paypal for upto 12 returns a year, although I'm surprised more places haven't dropped paypal due to them requiring the seller to eat the 2.9% fee on returns and cancelled orders, Paypal has turned rediculously greedy, used to be when a merchant refunded a transaction Paypal got to keep the 30 cent flat fee which was fair but now, say someone orders the wrong $1000 part and wants to cancel before it ships, now the merchant is out $29.30 for that purchase and PayPal did nothing worth keeping that $29.
I didn’t know that was a thing. Their other parts have the lifetime warranty, but when I saw new with shipping would be cheaper and hassle free compared to retuning, I declined.

That's because Castrol uses Titanium as their anti-wear additive.
Castrol made my engine noisy at startup as I got about 3k into the OCI. I don't know if it was the lack of moly or not but I've been running the 5w40 QSUD about 3k now and my engine has never run quieter. Really hope it's a permanent offering in their lineup because it not only looks good on paper but seems to be performing well for me and it's cheap. Probably will stick to it as my summer oil. Not sure what to make of Blackstone testing it as a 30 grade.

It definitely seemed more viscous when prefilling the filter and pouring it into the engine than M1EP HM 5w30 which is already a thick 30, M1 slides right down even if I just dump all 3.8 quarts in at once, this took a bit longer and I had to give it a break to avoid a funnel spillover. Definitely thinner than the Castrol Edge 0w40 though.

Of course you do but.....use PayPal to purchase and you get up to 12 return shipping refunds per year. Free.

How certain are we that this is the same formular as Pennzoil 5w40 Euro or Helix brands? Quaker State at some point was the bargain brand, but with LL-01 , A40, seems quality either way.

How certain are we that this is the same formular as Pennzoil 5w40 Euro or Helix brands? Quaker State at some point was the bargain brand, but with LL-01 , A40, seems quality either way.
I found the MSDS for both and they seem about exactly the same. The additive packages could be different, which is a potentially big exception.

They do indicate exactly the same. Euro L QS seems to match Pennzoil's 22 dollar Walmart offering as well.

With the certifications though, and the latest formulation dropping CA and phosphor diet, can probably use this 'with confidence' as they say here. Not many oils are at API SP, LL-01, MB 226.5, MB 229.3, MB 229.5, Porsche A40 , VW 502, VW 505 .

Every UOA and VOA I've seen plus Shell's published specs make this a dead ringer for Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Without the advertising budget. Of course there could be minor differences but that would likely cost Shell more money rather than save any.

I've got next year's o/c sitting. May buy one more change worth. ~$30 + a filter is very good.

Back