QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

Seems like most of the A3/B4 oils carrying MB229.5 in 0W30/0W40, and 5W30/5W40, I really view them as being the same grade it's like they're formulated targeting and a certain HTHS with volatility below 10% which results in a final product that has a KV100 right on the edge of 30 or 40 grade.
MB229.5 is max 10%.

On clearance.
IMG_20210625_111941944.jpg

That's insane, it was a really good deal at regular price (still is here).

I gave up stashing but if this goes to 15 bucks locally I'm backing up the car. I thought about loading some up at regular price just because it's too good to be true surely it's going to go away. :unsure:

Man - VW seems to be moving it’s standard to 0w30 504 for most new vehicles. Really wish we had cheaper options for that.

Every UOA and VOA I've seen plus Shell's published specs make this a dead ringer for Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Without the advertising budget. Of course there could be minor differences but that would likely cost Shell more money rather than save any.
Shell announced internally shortly after acquiring Pennzoil-Quaker State that Pennzoil would be the brand that would be promoted, and that Quaker State would be sold at a lower price reflecting less promotion and advertising expense.
At least until 2016, when I retired, there were differences between virtually all PZL and QS products. A lot of money had been spent on infrastructure to facilitate this at the blending, storage and distribution levels. In comparison to this, the cost of changing a blend a small amount is pretty inconsequential. Large changes to blend very different grades happen every day, so no biggie.
In any case, it probably shouldn't be assumed SOPUS products are identical by information gleaned from VOAs, TDS, and MSDS. There's just not enough there.

Found out in the Minneapolis area only certain Walmart's have it on clearance at the moment. Different stores also price the clearance quite differently. Found some 5 qt jugs for $12 and some for $8. They were also getting rid of all the QSUS HM flavors it seems as well.
euro1.jpg
euro2.jpg

I am starting to wonder if SOPUS teamed with Wally's to dump off a bunch of SN Plus overstock, and now their moving on. I hope not.

ravenol at walmart 🧐 ⁉️
Yeah that would be really interesting, probably go over as well as Valvoline Modern Engine haha. Didn't have the chance to take a pic at Wally World, so it's next in line after the Ravenol. Gonna try that this winter and see it actually makes a difference in starting, over a typical LL-01 5w-30/40.

Back