QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

Anyone know HTHS value for this oil?
1620576447000.png

Assuming it's just rebranded PP, it should be around 3.8

I got the virgin analysis back. TBN is 10.3 which is pretty dang good. Lots of zinc, phosphorous, magnesium, and calcium. Moly and Boron higher than averages too. Looks like it's stuffed full of anti-wear and anti-dispersant with a lot of detergents for the long haul.

Can't wait to beat on this oil in my EcoDiesel for 10k and see what it looks like. For $3.79 a quart this is awesome.

I got the virgin analysis back. TBN is 10.3 which is pretty dang good. Lots of zinc, phosphorous, magnesium, and calcium. Moly and Boron higher than averages too. Looks like it's stuffed full of anti-wear and anti-dispersant with a lot of detergents for the long haul.

Can't wait to beat on this oil in my EcoDiesel for 10k and see what it looks like. For $3.79 a quart this is awesome.
Post it up.

What BMW spec are you supposed to have? This meets BMW LL-01.
This is the confusing part since the 2017 BMW 540i owner's manual specifies the following:

Suitable engine oil types

Add engine oils that meet the following oil rating standards:

Gasoline engine

BMW Longlife-01 FE. BMW Longlife-14 FE+.

The oil rating BMW Longlife-14 FE+ is only suitable for particular gasoline engines.

More information about suitable engine oil ratings and viscosities of engine oils can be requested from a dealer’s service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.

Alternative engine oil types

If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added:

Gasoline engine

BMW Longlife-01.
API SL or superior oil rating.

Viscosity grades

Gasoline engine:

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-20. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a label in the engine compartment. Alternatively, also engine oils with viscosity grades SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-40 can be used.

The viscosity grades SAE 0W-20 or SAE 5W-20 are only suitable for particular engines.

But then the highlighted text doesn't indicate what these "particular gasoline engines" are and I assume that since the 2017 manual was printed before the LL-17FE+ specification was available, the LL-17FE+ 0W-20 isn't listed as an option. However newer B58s require LL-17FE+ 0W-20, at least here in the US. I have read the threads about BMW changing the specifications to meet EPA/CARB requirements but I'm a bit uncertain on what to use for my car which is a 2017 and still under the factory warranty and CPO. To make things more confusing, I've placed an order online to a BMW dealer for 7 Qts of BMW LL-17FE+ 0W-20 and I've received 7 Qts of LL-01 FE 0W-30 instead!

This is the confusing part since the 2017 BMW 540i owner's manual specifies the following:

Suitable engine oil types

Add engine oils that meet the following oil rating standards:

Gasoline engine

BMW Longlife-01 FE. BMW Longlife-14 FE+.

The oil rating BMW Longlife-14 FE+ is only suitable for particular gasoline engines.

More information about suitable engine oil ratings and viscosities of engine oils can be requested from a dealer’s service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.

Alternative engine oil types

If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added:

Gasoline engine

BMW Longlife-01.
API SL or superior oil rating.

Viscosity grades

Gasoline engine:

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-20. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a label in the engine compartment. Alternatively, also engine oils with viscosity grades SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-40 can be used.

The viscosity grades SAE 0W-20 or SAE 5W-20 are only suitable for particular engines.

But then the highlighted text doesn't indicate what these "particular gasoline engines" are and I assume that since the 2017 manual was printed before the LL-17FE+ specification was available, the LL-17FE+ 0W-20 isn't listed as an option. However newer B58s require LL-17FE+ 0W-20, at least here in the US. I have read the threads about BMW changing the specifications to meet EPA/CARB requirements but I'm a bit uncertain on what to use for my car which is a 2017 and still under the factory warranty and CPO. To make things more confusing, I've placed an order online to a BMW dealer for 7 Qts of BMW LL-17FE+ 0W-20 and I've received 7 Qts of LL-01 FE 0W-30 instead!
BMW confused stuff as much as they could.
They are using LL17, LL14, and LL01FE ONLY to get a bump in mpg. That is it.
What they are saying is that the engine is going to do well using any of those viscosities (and considering the nature of that engine I would stick to LL01) but bcs. CAFE, they also must to say to use 0W20, LL17 as advertised MPG is achieved with that oil.

Thanks edyvw, that clarifies it quite well. Back to using this oil, one of the main issues I would like to address is minimizing the carbon built up in the valves due to DI and high SAPS oils. You've mentioned in a previous comment that this is GTL based with the possibility of Noack being around 8% so in your opinion, would this be a descent LL-01 oil to address that or would you choose something better which is not LL-04 due to warranty?

Thanks edyvw, that clarifies it quite well. Back to using this oil, one of the main issues I would like to address is minimizing the carbon built up in the valves due to DI and high SAPS oils. You've mentioned in a previous comment that this is GTL based with the possibility of Noack being around 8% so in your opinion, would this be a descent LL-01 oil to address that or would you choose something better which is not LL-04 due to warranty?
I would stick to LL01. But, to further minimize CBU, I would go to LL04 after the warranty period and cut OCI to 5-7.5k miles. Basically, LL17FE is thin LL04. But BMW still does not (and I do not think it ever will) recommend LL04 for gas engines in the US.
However, since this is B58 engine, I would strictly stick to LL01 or LL04 and not deviate from that as updated BMW specifications (2018) have a specific test for B engines.
If you are out of warranty, go Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. Available in Wal Mart for $22 for 5qt.

This is about as friendly (anti-LSPI) of an oil you'll find that is LL-01. Walmart also has Pennzoil Euro L which is LL-04 and formulated to be LSPI resistant as well.

Thank you for submitting a VOA.
Please post the results.

This is about as friendly (anti-LSPI) of an oil you'll find that is LL-01. Walmart also has Pennzoil Euro L which is LL-04 and formulated to be LSPI resistant as well.
Not an issue in B58. Actually, never was an issue in BMW inline-six turbo engines. N20 and B48 occasionally have this issue, mostly connected to Eco mode on transmission.

Frankenstein lives! 😜
View attachment 56244

I am reasonably certain the QS 5w40 is going to look like this PP 5w40 VOA already posted. If you check the PDS's they appear to be dead ringers for each other. I've been looking for a Euro oil that meets all the popular specs but is not calcium loaded. I think I've found it, and at a smokin' price to boot!
I do hope that KV100 is just Blackstone's margin of error, bcs. if it is not, it confirms Scott's hesitance to use SOPUS products.

I do hope that KV100 is just Blackstone's margin of error, bcs. if it is not, it confirms Scott's hesitance to use SOPUS products.
They seem to have difficulty making anything thick with predominately GTL base and all of their GTL base oils seem thin for grade. But I also think it's Blackstone, surely Shell would not produce a 40 grade that didn't at least barely make 40 grade.

Back