QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

In today. I immediately felt the car was smoother plus at 140 mph the temp actually dropped to 190 vs. the normal 230. I'd call it a win..hahahahaha.....3 days late but April fools!

We will see how it goes - I expect it will exactly like every other 502 oil but I got the added benefit of some nostalgia...always remember using QS with my dad.
View attachment 52619
Lol. I was like ***?

So it went in the Sportwagen? How long you going to run it? (Back handed way of asking how long I have to wait for a UOA ha ha).

The Wally's close to me (close to city) hardly has any of this on hand. I went to the country one today and they were stuffed with it. I guess farmers don't want Euro oil. Now I know where to get it.

So it went in the Sportwagen? How long you going to run it? (Back handed way of asking how long I have to wait for a UOA ha ha).

The Wally's close to me (close to city) hardly has any of this on hand. I went to the country one today and they were stuffed with it. I guess farmers don't want Euro oil. Now I know where to get it.
5K so 3-4 mos.

So with the MS-12991 spec right there on the bottle, this oil is compatible with the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine used in my Ram 1500.

At $3.79/quart right off the shelf from the local ChinaMart, this is the least expensive MS-12991 rated oil by a H U G E margin, 100% to 175% less cost than the competitors' MS-12991 offerings.

I was about to mail off a virgin sample to Blackstone so I could get a base line on this Quaker State oil before actually running it in my truck. But I'm seeing a TBN at 9.2 listed in this thread? That seems low!

So with the MS-12991 spec right there on the bottle, this oil is compatible with the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine used in my Ram 1500.

At $3.79/quart right off the shelf from the local ChinaMart, this is the least expensive MS-12991 rated oil by a H U G E margin, 100% to 175% less cost than the competitors' MS-12991 offerings.

I was about to mail off a virgin sample to Blackstone so I could get a base line on this Quaker State oil before actually running it in my truck. But I'm seeing a TBN at 9.2 listed in this thread? That seems low!
Are you taking into consideration higher DPF pollution?

Are you taking into consideration higher DPF pollution?

I'm taking into consideration that it is THE spec that engineers have decided to use for this new engine with it's new emissions system, after having an absolute nightmare with the Gen 2 engine. So, after all of that, if they are still spec'ng an oil that's bad for their own equipment, then shame on them. I have a 100,000 mile warranty.

I'm taking into consideration that it is THE spec that engineers have decided to use for this new engine with it's new emissions system, after having an absolute nightmare with the Gen 2 engine. So, after all of that, if they are still spec'ng an oil that's bad for their own equipment, then shame on them. I have a 100,000 mile warranty.
They are. They are only company specing. full SAPS oil in passenger vehicle diesel engine. FCA is not on par BMW, Mercedes and VW/Audi when it comes to diesel technology in 6cyl diesel engines (or 4cyl). They were there at the end of 1990's (not quite as good as BMW).
This oil is still patch on the potential issues in the engine. More likely than not, SCR/DPF equipment in RAM is coming from same suppliers as for BMW, GM, MB, VW etc. However, all those companies recommend C3 oils.
Your DPF is not going to die at 100k, it will die at 130-150k.

They are. They are only company specing. full SAPS oil in passenger vehicle diesel engine. FCA is not on par BMW, Mercedes and VW/Audi when it comes to diesel technology in 6cyl diesel engines (or 4cyl). They were there at the end of 1990's (not quite as good as BMW).
This oil is still patch on the potential issues in the engine. More likely than not, SCR/DPF equipment in RAM is coming from same suppliers as for BMW, GM, MB, VW etc. However, all those companies recommend C3 oils.

Every MS-12991 oil I've researched so far shows a SAPS level of
What would be considered a low SAPS oil?

I'm not really concerned about DPF life. It's under warranty, and the first time it fails out of warranty the DPF will be gone forever.

What I am concerned about is protecting the warranty, and I'm afraid that using oils that are outside of the manual specification will potentially cause me grief IF I do end up needing a major warranty claim. So regardless, we EcoDiesel guys have to stick with MS-12991.

I'm not really concerned about DPF life. It's under warranty, and the first time it fails out of warranty the DPF will be gone forever.

What I am concerned about is protecting the warranty, and I'm afraid that using oils that are outside of the manual specification will potentially cause me grief IF I do end up needing a major warranty claim. So regardless, we EcoDiesel guys have to stick with MS-12991.
Well than stick to this oil.
Many people cannot get rid of DPF as they have to do an emissions check. IDK do you have to or not, or are you going to get rid of vehicle.
Anything ACEA C3 ( But, I mean, if the warranty is a priority, yeah, makes sense. But, this FCA mumbo jumbo around recommendation for 3.0 EcoDiesel is really shady.

Well than stick to this oil.
Many people cannot get rid of DPF as they have to do an emissions check. IDK do you have to or not, or are you going to get rid of vehicle.
Anything ACEA C3 ( But, I mean, if the warranty is a priority, yeah, makes sense. But, this FCA mumbo jumbo around recommendation for 3.0 EcoDiesel is really shady.

I have been using Motul X-cess 5W40 up until now. It has the MS-12991 spec also.

But, it's $45ish dollars for a 5 quart jug, compared to $19 for a 5 quart jug of the Quaker State. I will at least try the QS with oil analysis at the end to see how it does. If it's terrible, I can always go back to Motul.

I have been using Motul X-cess 5W40 up until now. It has the MS-12991 spec also.

But, it's $45ish dollars for a 5 quart jug, compared to $19 for a 5 quart jug of the Quaker State. I will at least try the QS with oil analysis at the end to see how it does. If it's terrible, I can always go back to Motul.
You can get 8100 X-CESS GEN2 5W-40 (Qty4) for $147.90. That's $37 for 5 Liter jug.

QSUD is basically repackaged Pennzoil. Do UOA, sometimes PP has a serious drop in flash point. Not sure why. If UOA is good, not worth the price difference.

In 3-4 years time this is not going to be as easy as today. EPA is cracking down on tuners (and shops) who do this, big time.

IMO, a good thing.

I have a VOA on this sent in sent in a few weeks ago....waiting on results.

In 3-4 years time this is not going to be as easy as today. EPA is cracking down on tuners (and shops) who do this, big time.

IMO, a good thing.

It won't be an issue. Canadians aren't restricted and so Americans are now just shopping up there.

Furthermore, there are MYRIAD reasons why the current EPA emissions requirements and associated equipment is BAD for the environment, which I won't go into here. A guy should be free to maintain his own property in a way that makes it more fuel efficient and have more longevity. Consuming fuel and throwing things in landfills earlier than need-be is counterproductive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be an issue. Canadians aren't restricted and so Americans are now just shopping up there.

Furthermore, there are MYRIAD reasons why the current EPA emissions requirements and associated equipment is BAD for the environment, which I won't go into here. A guy should be free to maintain his own property in a way that makes it more fuel efficient and have more longevity. Consuming fuel and throwing things in landfills earlier than need-be is counterproductive.

You're talking to a Canadian who works in the diesel fuel injection business, these modifications are dying here too. 90%+ of the actual tunes used up here were developed in the US anyway.

So, I did research on this subject with several colleagues, and have peer-reviewed work on this issue. All ears here!

As I said in another post, Chrysler may be more worried about the engine than the DPF with all the trouble they've had. MB and BMW seem more worried about the DPFs.

BINGO!

Back