QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

I've noticed that significant boost and pull happens at around 3,100 RPM that's when the turbo kicks in. Would driving below that RPM help with LSPI or longevity of the engine?

No, that's pretty high. I'd expect it may not be prone to LSPI based on that fact. In comparison, the GM EcoFlex 1.4L makes peak torque from 1,850RPM to 4,900RPM (VCT).

No, that's pretty high. I'd expect it may not be prone to LSPI based on that fact. In comparison, the GM EcoFlex 1.4L makes peak torque from 1,850RPM to 4,900RPM (VCT).
Ran M1 0w40 in our 2013 for the last 45k (+/-100-145k) … that year was not DI …

Also the new Gen3 E888 engine I have the turbo and exhaust is cooled so that should be some positive on engine oil.
Even after I turn the engine off after driving at 213-215°C oil temp. the pump kicks in and cools the turbo. In the past they advised to idle the engine till the oil temp came down to prevent oil coking in turbo. I suppose that's also a reason I get heat in the car in winter in just a few minutes.

Last edited:
Also the new Gen3 E888 engine I have the turbo and exhaust is cooled so that should be some positive on engine oil.
Even after I turn the engine off after driving at 213-215°C oil temp. the pump kicks in and cools the turbo. In the past they advised to idle the engine till the oil temp came down to prevent oil coking in turbo. I suppose that's also a reason I get heat in the car in winter in just a few minutes.

VW has been running a coolant pump after shutdown for at least 15 years now.

1.5L Turbo DI SUV
87 octane
Hard acceleration in 2nd gear from below 2K RPM
High Sodium/Calcium motor oil

Above driving condition is the "perfect storm" leading to LSPI. Which was still a rare occurrence, but happened often enough for car manufacturers and motor oil suppliers to take note and make changes.

BTW - the VW 1.8 isn't really having LSPI issues anyway. Never heard of it happening on the MQB VW EA888 engines (1.8 or 2.0) in the Golf variations.

Looking forward to filling out the QSUD line in my table. Here's the oils I've done VOAs on so far for my Sportwagen and Atlas. All data in ppm. Ceratec/MoS2 in there based on UOAs after adding them to the LM LLHT which has effectively 0 for both so should be close.

Capture.JPG

TGDI engines have the ability to produce power significantly lower in the RPM band than their naturally aspirated cousins, which will wind to the moon with similar levels of displacement. OEM's have been programming them to keep RPM low and take advantage of this low-end torque for a better driving experience (an engine not dropping two gears to go up a hill makes one feel that they have more power; results in a better driver experience) but the byproduct of this has been the discovery of LSPI, which occurs under those circumstances. Early TGDI cars from Porsche and Audi, while they had IVD issues, I don't believe were extremely small displacement nor programmed to create significant boost at low RPM so the issue wasn't discovered until later. This was with Japanese and American marques who were looking to exploit that characteristic (lots of torque at low engine speed) advantage of TGDI and "Super knock" showed up to the party.
Earlier models had 6 speed transmissions. It had to downshift. My Tiguan reacts to smallest input and downshifts which sometimes is annoying, but engine is always above 2,500r when any power is needed.

There are some cases. I think UG Passat had blown piston.
I've certainly heard of blow pistons on the MQB Golfs, especially tuned but none of it ever related to LSPI (but how would you know?).

I've certainly heard of blow pistons on the MQB Golfs, especially tuned but none of it ever related to LSPI (but how would you know?).
I think his was LSPI. He can chime in. You can find some cases. But far from being “infectious” like with Asian and American brands.

Looking forward to filling out the QSUD line in my table. Here's the oils I've done VOAs on so far for my Sportwagen and Atlas. All data in ppm. Ceratec/MoS2 in there based on UOAs after adding them to the LM LLHT which has effectively 0 for both so should be close.

View attachment 51776

Are you doing a VOA on the QS 5w40? Very much looking to seeing that one!

The VW Audi 2.0t is well known for carbon build up on the valves, I don't know if that is the same thing as LSPI or not.

The VW Audi 2.0t is well known for carbon build up on the valves, I don't know if that is the same thing as LSPI or not.
The carbon buildup is a separate issue but mutually inclusive in that both occur as a result of GDI / T-GDI (for LSPI).

View attachment 51776
It will be interesting to see how it compares to this VOA of QSUD FS Euro 5W-40 taken in 2012 on oil club ru.
QSUD Euro 5W-40.jpg

Yes, already sent it in. Carbon build up on teh intake valves is not the same as LSPI - low speed pre-ignition.

In today. I immediately felt the car was smoother plus at 140 mph the temp actually dropped to 190 vs. the normal 230. I'd call it a win..hahahahaha.....3 days late but April fools!

We will see how it goes - I expect it will exactly like every other 502 oil but I got the added benefit of some nostalgia...always remember using QS with my dad.
20210403_112446.jpg

Back