QSGB Formula change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have long wanted to try PYB's kissin' cousin QSGB in my Jeep. So I went ahead and bought the next OCI's worth to finally try.

I was interested as I wanted to try QSGB's boron heavy add pack to compare vs PYB's moly heavy add pack. For a long time now, QSGB has had 200+ ppm boron and about 100 ppm moly. PYB in SN formula has had about 100 ppm boron and 250 ppm moly. So I wanted to tinker with the QSGB for fun.

Then I stumbled on a recent VOA of QSGB that showed 100 ppm boron and about 170 ppm moly. And now I can't find it again, I think it was dated 2015. Anyway if that is the actual case, that makes QSGB more of a PYB "lite" IMO and I'd rather just stick with my trusty yellow bottle.

Anybody know? I can't find the link I saw again.
confused2.gif

That's it! The link I somehow lost. But now I am more confused, there are 2 2015 VOA's one is the former known brew the other is it new or just a fluke run of some type?

Is that the 5w40 Delo you are mentioning slug? Don't think I wanna pay for that, would be interested in the XLE 10w30 but I think it's basically like Rotella, ZDDP and not anything else IIRC. Since I do a lot of short trips now was interested in a boron add pack. Not that it really makes much difference but hey that is what oil nerds do!

Yes it is I ran the 15w40 once in the summer, mine however does not like oil THAT thick I ended up having to dilute it a bit. Others run 15w40 without issue though.

I checked my QSGB it's all January 2016 I am betting it's the "new" stuff.

frown.gif

Kinda defeats my purpose I think I'm gonna exchange it.

Well since QSGB is now apparently just a PYB "lite" I took it back and got some more Pennzoil instead. I have been running Pennzoil in the Jeep for several years and was going to tinker with QSGB for fun but I guess not.

It occurred to me as I was exchanging that SOPUS tinkered with both Defy and now QSGB this last year, and I don't think either change was particularly an improvement.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with QSGB. But if it is going to use the same add pack as PYB, except less of it, I'll take the PYB thank you.

I wish they had left it alone but I guess I can't complain cause I really never got around to using it. Defy is another matter they really messed that stuff up.

In my opinion PYB runs the highest quality base stock of any conventional. Its more shear resistant than many synthetics. Add to that what appears to be a stout add pack and high TBN.

Thats just opinion but seeing as I dont use it I got no dog in this fight.

KCJeep, what about Formula Shell or Kendall ? Last time I looked they both had a big dose of Boron and a small dose of Moly.

Good options both but not available here. I have been using Trop Artic in my other vehicles a good bit for several years, and it is boron heavy as well. But it is not available in the heavier grades I favor for the Jeep, and my only source for it just pulled out and left town anyway.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back