Purolator PL25288
Son's new 2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 w/ 93k
Spotty previous owner records
Results of first oil change:
2750 miles on this filter and Valvoline NextGen 5w30

Overall

Torn Pleat

Inside can crud

Saw previous tearing on a Classic. Didn't expect it on a PureOne. Still have 3 Purolator Synthetics on the shelf yet to install.

I'm just about done with Purolator.

Last edited:
Yep, typical wide "V" pleat that we've seen over and over.

Tight, even, uniform pleats is all it takes. It's not rocket science.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Saw previous tearing on a Classic. Didn't expect it on a PureOne. Still have 3 Purolator Synthetics on the shelf yet to install.

I'm just about done with Purolator.

Plenty of torn PureOnes reported. Only one other 25288 reported before yours.

Filter Failure Spreadsheet (Link)

To be more specific...

I've seen tearing on previous Classics that I installed.

Hadn't seen any problems on the Pure One's I installed.

This is the first. Now I'm concerned it is across their whole product line.

Will post the Synthetic pix when I install. They claim a wire backed media.

Yes it's both Classics and PureOnes ... been hashed over for the last 6 months.
grin.gif

Bring the unused purolators back to the store DONT use them anymore. You can bring them back just say you lost your receipt unless you still have it but if the receipt is from auto zone or advance the writing is probably worn off anyway.

Don't take a chance! if a chunk of that torn media comes off and clogs something and your engine gets damaged its your problem even if you sue and win which is possible your time and being without that car is a pain in the neck.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Bring the unused purolators back to the store DONT use them anymore. You can bring them back just say you lost your receipt unless you still have it but if the receipt is from auto zone or advance the writing is probably worn off anyway.

No need to take back the three Purolator Synthetics he has. There have been no reported tears with the Synthetics, only with the Classics, PureOnes, Bosch Premiums, and Motorcrafts.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
How do I add my results to the spread sheet?

The spreadsheet is updated by the owner .... Stu_Rock (member here).

Used Purolators for years until the tear problems first began to be reported. Will not go back to them. FU exclusively since using my last EA from Amsoil.

Last edited:
Some are so scared of this that I'm happy the price of Pure Ones has dropped on Amazon. I will now stock up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
....No need to take back the three Purolator Synthetics he has. There have been no reported tears with the Synthetics....

Accurate and unbiased information. Best imo to ignore the trollish comments on PSL usage.

OP, if you still have access to the manufacture date code, could you post it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Some are so scared of this that I'm happy the price of Pure Ones has dropped on Amazon. I will now stock up.

LOL, good luck with that. It's amazing that BITOG'ers continue to use them after ample evidence and correspondence with the company indicating a serious issue that has yet to be addressed.

It reminds of the ecore users that continued to blindly trust the design in my epic ecore failure thread.

Some people will never be convinced no matter how many failures are reported.

I was a huge advocate of Puro's classic and P1 lineup. I can't do that any longer until substantial evidence comes forward proving this issue has been addressed.

I'd say that the Quality Manager who told us to buy new stock has lost some more of his credibility on this.

And with him Purolator / Bosch whatever they call themselves in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back