Purolator PureOne PL14612 - cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Originally Posted By: pbm
It looks to me that Purolator is trying to skimp on paper (filter material) to save a few pennies....why else would the pleat spacing be so irregular?

I've always wondered this myself... why can't they keep the spacing the same. It's one thing if its just irregular all the way around. Its another when it only near the crimp that the spacing gets wider.

I was wondering if it was spaced, so they can get a tool in to apply the crimp, i.e. the media is wrapped around the center tube, adhesive applied, end caps attached and then the media is crimped. Or is the media crimped first, then put over the center tube and yada, yada, yada.

Either its by design, doesn't matter (in the opinion of the manufacturer) or simply poor QA.

The cheap, Chinese made, DriveWorks filters at AA seem to have perfectly even pleat spacing so Purolator should be ASHAMED of it's lack of quality control....

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: gallydif
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
F09F08E3 = 9/8/2014

Use something better next time.
whistle.gif

How true is this statement: Purolator filters made on December 2014 and after don't have this same tearing problem.

Also where did you get the 2014 from? I see the 9 and 8 for 9/8 but don't see the '14' in the code.

Not sure what evidence there is that Purolators don't tear if made after Dec 2014. I've never seen any proof of that.

Here's how to read the Purolator date code - the letter signifies the year.

If I read that right, E3… 3rd shift, figures
wink.gif

^^^ LoL ... robots don't care what shift they work on. I doubt there is much "QC" of the guts actually done by humanoids, and apparently wide pleat spacing at the seam is by design.

Two videos, showing a filter being manufactured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26L90WufII

What's interesting is the tool that grabs the media for crimping has two large "fingers". Now I can see why their's a wider space at the crimp. After the machine releases the media, that spacing remains basically the same (i.e., it doesn't close back up).

In the Fram video you can see the media/center tube dropping into the can… look at the spacing! Not just at the crimp, but randomly around…

So I can only assume that the filter manufactures must know and maybe have to keep a "slightly" wider spacing near the crimp for manufacturing purposes.

By the time a human is involved, the media is already inside the can and cannot be seen.

Originally Posted By: gallydif

How true is this statement: Purolator filters made on December 2014 and after don't have this same tearing problem.

Also where did you get the 2014 from? I see the 9 and 8 for 9/8 but don't see the '14' in the code.

The 2014 is the second in F09F08E3

Sometime during 2014 (F12F..) Purolator revised the crimp design. and the pleat spacing at the crimp isn't as wide as it used to be.

Regardless, the 14612 is one of the lesser offenders; the 14610 is one of the worst (and is a longer version of the 14612). shorter length relative to diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back