Carquest Red/Purolator cut open, No tears, Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This CQ Red is made by Purolator, I got it at AAP, it is equivalent to the Purolator Classic L14610 Honda filter. They do not stock it on the shelf with the other filters, you have to ask for it at the counter. It cost $3.79. This one was on my Honda Civic, it had 5,003 miles on it with Carquest Synthetic (bottled by Amalie) 0W20. 50,213 miles on the odometer. This was the first time I have ever cut open an oil filter, I cut it with tin snips and found it surprisingly easy to do.

The date code was F12HO6E2, so it was made at the Fayetteville, NC plant in December 2016. I think the filter held up just fine and would be good for a 5K OCI. I thought the media was a little on the stiff side, but there were no problems with tears in the media or cuts in the ADBV. Whether this means Purolator has fixed the torn media problem is above my pay grade, but to me the filter looked to be in very good shape. I tried to remove one of the end caps but it would not budge. The glue must be very strong.

Prior to dissection:

Cut open, parts disassembled:

It still held a few ounces of oil after removal:

ADBV was a little stiff, but still pliable. It did not have any cuts or abrasions:

Pleats looked very good, evenly spaced and I did not find any tears anywhere:

There was no grit in the can:

Thanks for the c&p.

FYI the only filters that I've ever been able to cut open with tin snips were puro's and MC.

All the other brands seem to have a slightly thicker can.

Looks great, thanks for the C&P. I use a bunch of the CQ red and blue filters (RA closeouts) on the civic, versa and viking. Never a problem.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Looks great, thanks for the C&P. I use a bunch of the CQ red and blue filters (RA closeouts) on the civic, versa and viking. Never a problem.

Most of those closeout filters were either Wix or Fram made. Puro got the contract for them in early/mid 2016.
I would (and have) used any of the Wix/Fram made CQ filters, but will not use a Puro made one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back