Fram PH9837 Cut open. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Hey, at least they don't tear ... while we're talking about "questionable and inconsistent quality".
wink.gif

It's junk too. Your point?

My point is he could have done worse by using an even MORE "questionable and inconsistent quality" oil filter.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
That filter looks terrible after 3k miles. I have had other brands that didn't look that bad after 9k (Pureone being the closest comparable model as I don't use classics.)

Since different filters were not run under the same exact conditions as this one, nobody can say for sure if other filters would have come out looking better or not. If this engine has issues, it could be other filters won't look any better after use.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Each time with NextGen 5w30. The first was with a Pure One filter, the last two with the basic Fram. No issues with the first two changes....I cut apart the filter each time. This last (3rd change) BOOM...UGLY!

I am trying to figure out what happened since. Perhaps, as some have suggested, a coolant gasket went...leaking into the oil or something. Coolant level has not moved... I check it weekly...but something caused this.

A theory: NextGen was once caught with some inconsistent quality problems.
See http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/Press Releases/Lubes_N_Greases/Valvoline nextgen fails.pdf
Its NOACK was way too high. Does Valvoline NextGen have a problem with quality consistency control at its factory?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Each time with NextGen 5w30. The first was with a Pure One filter, the last two with the basic Fram. No issues with the first two changes....I cut apart the filter each time. This last (3rd change) BOOM...UGLY!

I am trying to figure out what happened since. Perhaps, as some have suggested, a coolant gasket went...leaking into the oil or something. Coolant level has not moved... I check it weekly...but something caused this.

A theory: NextGen was once caught with some inconsistent quality problems.
See http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/Press Releases/Lubes_N_Greases/Valvoline nextgen fails.pdf
Its NOACK was way too high. Does Valvoline NextGen have a problem with quality consistency control at its factory?

Two possible issues with the theory:

1. That quality issue was only with the 5w20 version of NextGen. I have not seen any reports on the 5w30 I used.

2. I bought all three jugs at the same store, at the same time. While I can not be certain, I would think that they came from the same shipment, and perhaps even the same case of oil. If there was a problem with the oil, I would have expected to see it in one of the earlier oil changes.

I still think it something other than the oil or the filter. Several good suggestions have been made...coolant leak, PCV valve, Severe Service, etc. I will keep running them down while I let the M1 TDT and the Purolator Synthetic filter hopefully work their magic.

2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 V-6
Just under 3000 miles on this run. 3rd oil change since son got this Vue from his aunt. Regular oil changes at the aunt's dealer previously.

Two previous oil changes since getting it looked fine. Now, a sea of crud appears. Lots of waves in the pleats, but no ripping.

This was a Fram PH9837 with Valvoline Next Gen 5w30. 2970 miles in 9 months.
Previous was same...NextGen w/ 9837. 3000 miles.
First change was NextGen with Purolator Pure One. 3000 miles.

All short trip severe service, less than 5 miles to work.

Anyone have any thoughts why this one looks so bad?

]Overview[/url]

Typical FRAM. Its a pathetic sight to see. I don't care how sludged an engine is after just 3k miles it shouldn't look like a like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OCOD looks like [censored] because they are built like [censored]. Nothing new here. There is a reason it earned the name orange can of death. You will be much happier with the build quality of the P1.

There's also a reason why a certain filter got the name Tear-o-lator.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with "build quality" with a filter that fails.
crackmeup2.gif

I just cut a P1 14477 after 7500 miles and one year on T6. Fo5323E1. It's built like a tank. No tears,+ the ABV was still holding oil in even after a month of sitting. You people run your mouths about Puro and then look at the ceiling when someone opens a POS OCOD.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The OCOD looks like [censored] because they are built like [censored]. Nothing new here. There is a reason it earned the name orange can of death. You will be much happier with the build quality of the P1.

There's also a reason why a certain filter got the name Tear-o-lator.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with "build quality" with a filter that fails.
crackmeup2.gif

I just cut a P1 14477 after 7500 miles and one year on T6. Fo5323E1. It's built like a tank. No tears,+ the ABV was still holding oil in even after a month of sitting. You people run your mouths about Puro and then look at the ceiling when someone opens a POS OCOD.

Any pics?

HerrStig - good luck next time.
wink.gif
Fact is, if a Purolator was used under these same circumstances it would probably look worse and might have even torn. The point was, it's ridiculous to shill up a filter that is know to have quality issues.

HerrStig - good luck next time.
wink.gif
Fact is, if a Purolator was used under these same circumstances it would probably look worse and might have even torn. The point was, it's ridiculous to shill up a filter that is know to have quality issues.

He isn't shilling up anything. I have posted pure ones used for up to 7k that were just fine, as he described. You can plug your ears and close your eyes but there are people that have positive experiences with them.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Try something else. Motorcraft will hold up much better. Puro syn was a very good choice and u can extend oci or double fci.

Puro syns are great choices. Up to 15k ish should be fine for them. They don't filter as well as the paper media filters, but they are built a lot bette and last much longer.

Puro syns are great choices. Up to 15k ish should be fine for them. They don't filter as well as the paper media filters...
Out of morbid curiosity, why do you recommend using a PSL for up to 15K (which is 150% of what Purolator recommends) and bash those who use P1 or Classic filters longer than 3 or 5K? Also, why would a paper filter perform better than a synthetic?

Originally Posted By: car51
Probably because he does NOT want to acknowledge the Purolator tearing problem like the ones I posted LOL!

That's a symptom of fanboyism (is that a word? If not, Mr. Webster should consider adding it to his dictionary).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Puro syns are great choices. Up to 15k ish should be fine for them. They don't filter as well as the paper media filters...
Out of morbid curiosity, why do you recommend using a PSL for up to 15K (which is 150% of what Purolator recommends) and bash those who use P1 or Classic filters longer than 3 or 5K? Also, why would a paper filter perform better than a synthetic?

That what ultimate shilling is all about! LoL

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Probably because he does NOT want to acknowledge the Purolator tearing problem like the ones I posted LOL!

That's a symptom of fanboyism (is that a word? If not, Mr. Webster should consider adding it to his dictionary).

Here's a few good messages with a little humor thrown in ...
wink.gif

Purolator says they can be used up to 10k miles. Keep in mind that I have always said that amount of time a filter should be in use should be based on experience and not what the manufacturer necessarily advertises or recommends. Even though purolator says 10k, my personal experience with them has revealed them to be well made filters that could go past the 10k mark. Classics and other budget made filters are not as well made and my experience with the those has led me to believe they should be used for shorter intervals. Pure one filters are durably made and may also be able to exceed certain obligatory mile marks. Before you scoff and call me crazy, look at others here who share the same mentality. People run oil and filters well past the manufactures recommendations. It all boils down to experience and what you (the individual) have found to work

As for the filtration remark, it seems that paper media does seem to have higher filtration with lower service time, while synthetic media has a slightly lower filtration capability but much longer service intervals. Just an observation I have made, no strong science behind it.

I acknowledge them as much as you acknowledge the many purolator filters (of all varieties) that I have posted tear free.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

It's only the pot calling the kettle black if fram isn't involved right?

It isn't shilling when there is proof and hard evidence to support a theory. See above.

And cute pictures. Are they approved by fram corporate or is that just freelance work you do away from the office?

Something like that. Funny how asinine it has become.

It isn't shilling when there is proof and hard evidence to support a theory. See above.

I guess you don't really know what shilling is, even though you do it a lot ... see here.
wink.gif

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shilling?show=1

And cute pictures. Are they approved by fram corporate or is that just freelance work you do away from the office?

Actually, Batman and Mr. T were bored down in the secret lab, so thought they could do some public service messages in their spare time.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back