Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 cut & post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a couple of Purolator PL24651 filters in my stash and thought I would run at least one of them for 3000 miles to see how these were doing rather than use them for target practice. I figured the filter should go 3000 miles in 2 months using Maxlife 5W30.

Purolator PL24651
Date code: F07F30G1

After 3000 miles, I did notice a little startup rattle so I arranged to see if the ADBV held or not. I came in from a long run, parked the truck and after a couple hours spun the filter off expecting to see a flood of oil which would be normal for this engine. About a tablespoon of oil fell into the drain pan from removing the filter. This means the filter did not have ADBV function. The photos will show the ADBV is in pristine condition so the source of the leak down is not likely the ADBV itself. The ADBV had no tears or cuts and was one of the best ADBVs I have touched. I suspect the sealant they use between the base plate and the external can which holds the gasket is not complete or failing. I had to use a cap wrench to remove the filter as it would not budge. The gasket stuck to the filter mount. I like the gasket, but that is not why I would buy the filter.
smile.gif

If you look closely at photo #5 at about 9 O'clock on the base plate, you will see some black residue. I believe that to be the sealant. I do not know if this is the leakage path or not. It would need closer examination and dissection.

IMG_0567-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter label
23mmnp2.jpg

IMG_0569-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Date Code
2l8i0sm.jpg

IMG_0566-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside of can with leaf spring
2r77pmu.jpg

IMG_0570-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside surface of the base plate with silicone ADBV in place
3322rzq.jpg

IMG_0571-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside surface of the base plate with silicone ADBV showing inlet side of the ADBV
im1a3a.jpg

IMG_0580-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Base plate exterior view
1zb9xdz.jpg

IMG_0573-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media showing wide pleat spaces either side of the splice
wlcgg5.jpg

IMG_0574-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 90 degrees
j90z9w.jpg

IMG_0575-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 180 degrees
65zbep.jpg

IMG_0576-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 300 degrees
20b020i.jpg

IMG_0577-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Bypass valve
2334mu.jpg

IMG_0578-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inlet/Outlet end of the filter
5pg7sj.jpg

IMG_0579-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inlet/Outlet end of the filter on axis view
mr4iec.jpg

Since the filter did not tear on the short run, I will use the second one on another short run. I think the Valvoline Maxlife 5W30 shears down a bit after 2000 miles or so and this may contribute to how quickly the oil drains back.

Since the wide pleat spaces are still there, I do not want to take a risk running the filter type for a longer OCI / FCI.

Enjoy and let the discussions begin.

Welloiled.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I had a couple of Purolator PL24651 filters in my stash and thought I would run at least one of them for 3000 miles to see how these were doing rather than use them for target practice. I figured the filter should go 3000 miles in 2 months using Maxlife 5W30.

Purolator PL24651
Date code: F07F30G1

After 3000 miles, I did notice a little startup rattle so I arranged to see if the ADBV held or not. I came in from a long run, parked the truck and after a couple hours spun the filter off expecting to see a flood of oil which would be normal for this engine. About a tablespoon of oil fell into the drain pan from removing the filter. This means the filter did not have ADBV function. The photos will show the ADBV is in pristine condition so the source of the leak down is not likely the ADBV itself. The ADBV had no tears or cuts and was one of the best ADBVs I have touched. I suspect the sealant they use between the base plate and the external can which holds the gasket is not complete or failing. I had to use a cap wrench to remove the filter as it would not budge. The gasket stuck to the filter mount. I like the gasket, but that is not why I would buy the filter.
smile.gif

If you look closely at photo #5 at about 9 O'clock on the base plate, you will see some black residue. I believe that to be the sealant. I do not know if this is the leakage path or not. It would need closer examination and dissection.

IMG_0567-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter label
23mmnp2.jpg

IMG_0569-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Date Code
2l8i0sm.jpg

IMG_0566-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside of can with leaf spring
2r77pmu.jpg

IMG_0570-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside surface of the base plate with silicone ADBV in place
3322rzq.jpg

IMG_0571-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inside surface of the base plate with silicone ADBV showing inlet side of the ADBV
im1a3a.jpg

IMG_0580-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Base plate exterior view
1zb9xdz.jpg

IMG_0573-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media showing wide pleat spaces either side of the splice
wlcgg5.jpg

IMG_0574-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 90 degrees
j90z9w.jpg

IMG_0575-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 180 degrees
65zbep.jpg

IMG_0576-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Filter media rotated 300 degrees
20b020i.jpg

IMG_0577-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Bypass valve
2334mu.jpg

IMG_0578-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inlet/Outlet end of the filter
5pg7sj.jpg

IMG_0579-Purolator PL24651-F07F30G1 Inlet/Outlet end of the filter on axis view
mr4iec.jpg

Since the filter did not tear on the short run, I will use the second one on another short run. I think the Valvoline Maxlife 5W30 shears down a bit after 2000 miles or so and this may contribute to how quickly the oil drains back.

Since the wide pleat spaces are still there, I do not want to take a risk running the filter type for a longer OCI / FCI.

Enjoy and let the discussions begin.

Welloiled.

I'm a bit lost as to why only spoonful of oil drained out. This filter actually looks OK

If only I could get my dam stubborn brother to stop using Purolator stuff
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

I'm a bit lost as to why only spoonful of oil drained out. This filter actually looks OK

If only I could get my dam stubborn brother to stop using Purolator stuff
frown.gif

The ADBV failed and the oil drained back into the sump. The filter was full of oil.

And yes, the filter and the oil could have gone further.

Last edited:
I would have liked to had a couple of the new ones hot off the press. However, I am not sure it would be worth the effort. Way to many cut ADBVs.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for posting. I think rather than use them in your car, target practice would be the better option for them.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks for posting. I think rather than use them in your car, target practice would be the better option for them.

I feel like I wasted the Maxlife.
frown.gif
grin.gif

And, you are welcome.

Last edited:

We don't use any Purolators at work. On diesels which we don't have bulk oil for I use Autozone for oil and filter. Don't want a Purolator tearing on a diesel

The BITOG members in the know with diesels have given Purolator diesel filters two thumbs down. I defer to them.

We don't use any Purolators at work. On diesels which we don't have bulk oil for I use Autozone for oil and filter. Don't want a Purolator tearing on a diesel

The BITOG members in the know with diesels have given Purolator diesel filters two thumbs down. I defer to them.

LOL!

Even my pops uses nothing but Donaldson or Baldwin on his diesel pickup

frown.gif
grin.gif

And, you are welcome.
Well, you could have just changed the filter & left the oil in the sump (since virtually none was left in the removed filter)-Purolator, the ANTI-Ultra, TWO filters per standard OCI!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

frown.gif
grin.gif

And, you are welcome.
Well, you could have just changed the filter & left the oil in the sump (since virtually none was left in the removed filter)-Purolator, the ANTI-Ultra, TWO filters per standard OCI!

That would have worked.

Thanks again to the OP for reminding me that my decision to ditch Purolator for good was a wise one.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

frown.gif
grin.gif

And, you are welcome.

That would have worked.

Thanks again to the OP for reminding me that my decision to ditch Purolator for good was a wise one.

You guys are right. That would have worked. If I could have found a few more on close out, I could have done a Maxlife TBN retention study. 99.9% efficiency @ 20 microns ISO 4548-12 according to the box.
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
That would be just prior to the tear.
Bullwinkle, the filter was full of oil. Only a tablespoon or so came from above the filter.

If the ADBV failed then how was the filter full of oil?? Would the filter being full of oil when being taken off be a sign that the ADBV was working correctly??

Ahh so the base end is facing towards the hood of the vehicle vertically. If it is vertically aligned then I wouldn't be surprised if it was full of oil.. Don't know. I have a Toyota Camry with the base open end facing downwards at an angle. It has been empty at times. One time with a Fram Ultra. A Carquest red filter actually had a lot of oil in it. Way I figured it was that the Fram Ultra did not do well at all with it's ADBV. While the Carquest red filter actually did a very good job with it's ADBV because it had a lot of oil in it. Maybe I have that backwards.. but I don't think so. But maybe I am wrong... And if a filter is vertically aligned I would just think it would always be full of oil just because of the way it is positioned.
However, if when removed no oil came from above the filter then obviously it did fail.. That would make sense to me.

Not trying to give you a hard time here at all. Just trying to figure out what the deal was. And to learn/know what to expect if I ever get a filter that is set up very different from what I have seen to this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back