Purolator One cartridge filter, 4,554 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
With nearly all of our driving being short trips, stop & go driving, I have started going by the OLM on both vehicles. Decided to do an oil change on both of them Friday night, since my truck was down to 16% and it was easier to just do them both at the same time.

The filter I want to talk about is the filter for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. The van has a little over 38k on it, the OLM was at 24% and it had been 4,554 miles since I last changed it. Purolator One PL36296 Cartridge filter, and Carquest synthetic 0w20 is what was in it, and also what I put back in, as I bought more when it was on sale at AAP and already had it on hand.

When I took the old filter out, I noticed some of the pleats were uneven on one side. Didn't think too much of it at first, and finished up the oil change. Took a closer look at the filter a little later, and was surprised to see 3 different tears in the media. The filter box states this filter can be used up to 10k, when used with synthetic oil.
I think I'm only going to go to 3-4k on this OCI.

I would like to point out that these pics of the filter are exactly the way it looked when I took it out. I did not pull the pleats apart, or manipulate them in any way to cause it to tear.

On a side note, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read on here that the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator. I've been using the FL820S for the last several OCI's on the F150, and while I've never had an issue, I've also never cut one open. I had a little under 3k on this last OCI with the OLM at 16%
I have one more Motorcraft filter on the shelf, and after I use that one I think I'm going to try Wix XP filters for both vehicles.

Here are some pics of the cartridge filter.

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

filter3.jpg

I run the OEM Mopar filters to 10K miles and they look brand new when they come out. I dont bother with aftermarket filters in this application.

The twisting is normal in a Pentastar, but that one is far worse than I've seen and the tearing is unacceptable. I am pretty sure Purolator supplies Mopar filters. I haven't seen one of them torn, but they do get the twist worse than the Fram Ultras I've been running. I'll be running a Mobil 1 filter next time around, so we'll see how it holds up to the Pentastar Twist.

Last edited:
NOW!!!

......since this did not come out of a "cut open can" (the lame excuse purolator always uses)

I'd like to see them try to refute their quality with this!!!

Wow!! Just one more reason to stick with Ultra or Mobil 1 filters for my 3.6L Wrangler.

Well, this'll probably get closed soon since apparently we're not allowed to say anything bad about any product any more....

This is an example of a filter that is too weak to follow the OLM driven OCI / FCI recommendations. The filter manufacturer should recall the filters and pull it from the market until they fix the issue(s).

On the FL820S, I used up my stash on short oil changes just so they did not have an issue. Once my stash was used up, I have run other after market replacements with no huge issues. My Ranger did best on FRAM TG2 and Full Synthetic oils such as Valvoline AFS 5W30.

Thanks for the C&P. It is very informative.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Well, this'll probably get closed soon since apparently we're not allowed to say anything bad about any product any more....

I hope not, I'm not badmouthing the product, I'm simply posting my experience and observations. I thought that's what this site was for.
I did read and follow the Filter Forum Rules.
Honestly though, what is even the point of having a filter forum, if we can't talk about a filter failing to hold up under normal usage? I would actually consider it light usage, being that it was used for less than half the mileage that the filter manufacturer specifies.

Jay1981

If you go by the OLM numbers you gave us, Chrysler expects the filter to go 6000 miles with your driving conditions. 4554/(1-0.24) = 5992 miles. The OLM likely would respond to time in service also.

I would guess the filter had some below zero starts.

Even so, I agree with you, pretty light usage.

Originally Posted by Jay1981
Originally Posted by JLTD

I hope not, I'm not badmouthing the product, I'm simply posting my experience and observations. I thought that's what this site was for.
I did read and follow the Filter Forum Rules.
Honestly though, what is even the point of having a filter forum, if we can't talk about a filter failing to hold up under normal usage? I would actually consider it light usage, being that it was used for less than half the mileage that the filter manufacturer specifies.

Agreed. My previous post was rife with sarcasm.

Why would anything happen to this topic?
The filter had damage, that's factual.
No one has used imaginary names for the filter or company.
No one has been trolling about unproven allegations.
No one has used profanity because they can't express their thoughts like adults.

My mode of operation is when repeated failures of the same type (media tearing in this case) are reported it's time to choose a different filter brand. Consumer voting with their wallets sends a message to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Gearhead
After seeing all the posts on Purolator filter pleat failures, I'm done with their use.

I stopped with them years ago when they changed their top of the line filters to the metallic flake puke color, and they had metallic flecks over-spray on the base plates. From there they spiraled downward into the torn media problems. Now I wouldn't touch a Purolator filter with a ten foot pole. They've lost my business for good. It's a shame I pass on any oil change special that contains anything from Purolator.

Originally Posted by Linctex
NOW!!!

......since this did not come out of a "cut open can" (the lame excuse purolator always uses)

I'd like to see them try to refute their quality with this!!!

I sent them an email explaining the situation, along with the pics I posted here. I don't plan on using their products after this, but still interested to see what they have to say, if anything. If they do reply, I'll post their reply here.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Jay1981

If you go by the OLM numbers you gave us, Chrysler expects the filter to go 6000 miles with your driving conditions. 4554/(1-0.24) = 5992 miles. The OLM likely would respond to time in service also.

Yes, there were some below zero starts. I have recently researched the filters my truck takes, to see what other brands I might want to try. In doing so, I have a pretty good idea of how the spin on filters work, the ADBV, bypass valve, etc. I'm new to cartridge filters however. I'm just curious, what do below zero starts have to do with the filter failing?
I really don't know how this type of system works, or if there is any sort of bypass.

If Chrysler expects the filter to go 6,000 miles, and the filter manufacturer claims on the box that this filter can handle up to 10,000 miles, I think this is a serious problem, cold starts or not.

I recently had bought and returned two regular Purolator L36296 oil filters. The filter pleats were wound too tight against the center cage that is suppose to spin freely to keep the media from twisting when installed.

I suspect your center cage did not spin freely when installed and due to a friction fit against the media, it tore.

It really is a cr@p shoot on the aftermarket oil filters for the FCA Pentastar 3.6L. Even had to return some WIX filters that were just rebadged China made stuff that had previously been made in Poland and those were of decent quality. I am pretty much down to just sticking with the MOPAR OEM or FRAM filters.

Originally Posted by Jay1981
Originally Posted by WellOiled
Jay1981

Yes, there were some below zero starts. I have recently researched the filters my truck takes, to see what other brands I might want to try. In doing so, I have a pretty good idea of how the spin on filters work, the ADBV, bypass valve, etc. I'm new to cartridge filters however. I'm just curious, what do below zero starts have to do with the filter failing?
I really don't know how this type of system works, or if there is any sort of bypass.

If Chrysler expects the filter to go 6,000 miles, and the filter manufacturer claims on the box that this filter can handle up to 10,000 miles, I think this is a serious problem, cold starts or not.

Jay1981 - If the filter does not have a bypass valve, then generally there will be a bypass valve mounted on the block somewhere near the filter.

With respect to MC FL820S replacements, I have had good luck with the following: WIX 51372 and it's NAPA Gold 1372 twin, FRAM TG2, AC Delco PF1250 and STP S2. The Ford Ranger demonstrated startup rattle on WIX 51372, NG 1372, AC Delco PF1250 sometimes. The Ford Ranger did not demonstrate startup rattle using FRAM TG2 or the STP S2. You might consider a full synthetic filter such as WIX XP or FRAM Ultra.

Other manufacturers make excellent cartridge filters.
Have a look:

Mann Cartridge

I hope you have better luck getting a response from Purolator than I did getting a response from Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back