Letter from Purolator about a failed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Here we go again. Purolators website is very clear. X number of months or X number or miles (whichever comes first...)

Nope
33.gif
... you only read half of their use statement. Those blinders are hard to get off.
grin.gif

Whichever comes first is the understood variable in that statement. Or don't. Jusr don't complain when a perfectly fine filter fails because you didn't use it in the correct application.

Here is Purolator's statement ... what part don't you grasp? There are TWO "or" statements, and a qualifier on the first half of the statement.

"Purolator oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

And yet some people still don't get it....
21.gif

Dude ... LOL!
crackmeup2.gif

Listen to the ludicrous accusations being made about Purolator. Goodness gracious. The man used a classic for 10k miles. That isn't puros fault, that is his fault. I'm surprised that Purolator wrote anything back. It must have been difficult to type while they were laughing that hard....

But Purolator says right on their website that is meets OEM specs and change intervals. So now they claim they can't meet their own claim ... I guess so.
crazy.gif

You'd think someone in the auto industry would know theres more to life than 3k intervals with newer cars.
21.gif

I do like how the competion has the mileage listed on the box. It's pretty hard to argue what should have been used when the manufacturer suggests it from the beginning. No guessing games.

What other part for a car do you buy that you would expect not to meet OEM specifications? I don't believe it is reasonable for Purolator to sell a filter for a particular application that does not meet OEM requirements.

If this was, say, a Gates timing belt that broke at 40K miles when the OEM change interval was 60K miles, would anyone be saying "well, obviously, you should have changed it at 30K!"

robert

Their actual warranty statement:
http://www.pureoil.com/warranty.htm
Guys and gals - never, ever read their marketing hype and believe it to be a legal document.
They have a written limited warranty, in compliance with the FTC laws and regulations.
Read this about warranty:
http://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

A direct quote from their written limited warranty:
Quote:
...which was properly installed and changed following the engine manufacturer's recommended service intervals and was in accord with current Purolator catalog recommendations, ...

Here's the devil in the details ...
following the OEM recommendations shall cover you, as long as you use a filter from their application catalog (note this is a warning to those who use "bigger" filters; they will not cover you with warranty!).

OK - my daughter's 2000 Galant has an owner's manual that states the "normal" OCI is 7.5k miles. And the maintenance schedule shows that the FCI is every other OCI, or one year. So in theory the Classic should be OK for use for 15k miles, because the equipment OEM states as such. Therefore the Purolator Warranty should cover my use of the Classic for 15k miles, despite the outward jibberish they show in their marketing hype.

I personally have used a Classic for 10k miles and it was perfectly fine upon dissection. However, given the propensity we've seen for tears and holes in Classics, I've shy'ed away from them.

If you follow the equipment OEM schedule for OCI and FCI, then any properly selected Purolator product would be covered. If it's 5k miles, 10k miles, 15k miles, or set by the OLM or IOLM, it shall be covered. Purolator warrants their product for the OEM application. In this thread, if he ran the filter in accordance with the OEM criteria, then Purolator is legally bound to cover the product. The burden of proof is upon them because the OP followed the prescribed OEM criteria.

It is kind of disheartening that they indicate the loading at 10k miles is the cause of the hole. I suspect that's accurate, if you accept the fact that there was probably already a weak point in the media to begin with. And that to me is the whole underlying point of the Tearolator issues.

Poor quality control in the media may make for a thinner section that has a propensity to become compromised in "normal" use. Whether it's a tear or a hole, does not matter to me. Any substrate that yields is a problem.

Frankly, as clean as today's cars run, I would not think that a filter should load up that badly as to tear or puncture after 10k miles. I would suspect the particulate load is WAY less than it was from the old carb'd days with poor combustion controls.

Besides, should not the bypass valve open before the media yields? Isn't that the entire purpose of the bp valve? Seems to me that Purolator has thinned their media so much (probably in a cost savings mode) that they've created a condition where the media IS the bypass valve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Their actual warranty statement: http://www.pureoil.com/warranty.htm
Guys and gals - never, ever read their marketing hype and believe it to be a legal document.
They have a written limited warranty, in compliance with the FTC laws and regulations.
http://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

Quote:
...which was properly installed and changed following the engine manufacturer's recommended service intervals and was in accord with current Purolator catalog recommendations, ...

I do not think anyone was reading the information on the label or website and using it as a "warranty claim", but instead the recommended intervals which it can be used. For myself--the information is conflicting at best and misleading at worst. Unless the packaging has changed in recent times, the image that I posted is on the back of each Classic and P1 so one could be 'misled' into assuming the filter is good for the intervals (which seem to be only a suggestion) listed. As marketing information goes both FRAM and WIX seem to be much more transparent and to the point than Purolator.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Their actual warranty statement: http://www.pureoil.com/warranty.htm

Quote:

I do not think anyone was reading the information on the label or website and using it as a "warranty claim", but instead the recommended intervals which it can be used. For myself--the information is conflicting at best and misleading at worst. Unless the packaging has changed in recent times, the image that I posted is on the back of each Classic and P1 so one could be 'misled' into assuming the filter is good for the intervals (which seem to be only a suggestion) listed. As marketing information goes both FRAM and WIX seem to be much more transparent and to the point than Purolator.

Good point.

I didn't mean to imply that all folks take the marketing hype for facts, but there are those that think the "recommendation" on the box is the official limit.

The Limited Warranty statement clearly defines the FCI as equal to the OEM defined limit.
In many older vehicles, that is a static limit of X miles or Y months, depending upon service factor.
In many newer vehicle, those limits are larger, or there is an IOLM that sets the limits.
It's ironic that my 2007 MGM would indicate a 5k mile FCI for a Classic, but my 2000 Galant would be 15k miles for a Classic FCI. But technically, both would be the official limit based upon OEM application.

Which brings some amount of question into the realm of the topic. Two of them, actually ...

Say one has an IOLM and you follow it. And you take off a filter and discover some failure of the filter. Their written warranty says nothing about FILTER replacement or reimbursement; it ONLY speaks to the damage possibly incurred by the vehicle. I would presume they would (out of good customer relations) offer another filter, a coupon, etc. (not that I'd want another WCOD at this point .....)

Secondly, what if the engine itself is damaged. You can send them the filter, but they'll have to send a tech out to examine the engine. In this case, they may be able to see the IOLM, if someone has not reset it already ... If it's been reset, they have no idea what the FCI was. You cannot even look at a historical record, because any change (pro or con) to the driving pattern during the FCI would be UNIQUE to that FCI duration!

How do they know what your OCI exposure has been? Especially with IOLMs now, there's no real set expectation for a distance. How does the Purolator evidence team who reviews the info really know exactly how many miles were on the filter, other than what the customer would tell them? In this example, if the IOLM was at or near "O"%, it would be deemed reasonable to presume the products (oil and filter) were appropriately used and not abused. So how does a hole in the filter media indicate that the filter was over-loaded with particulate, when the IOLM did not indicate a change was overdue?

Generally, I see this one particular example as a wee-poor attempt from Puro to discard a complaint. If the OP indicated the IOLM was still in a serviceable state, then how is it that the media was past it's capacity by OEM definition? The written warranty states to follow the OEM directives; follow the IOLM and everything should be covered. Frankly, I'd be miffed if that is the answer I got back, and I'd press for more details. That alone would make me want to quit purchasing the product; poor customer serivce irks me to no end.

Generally, I see this one particular example as a wee-poor attempt from Puro to discard a complaint. If the OP indicated the IOLM was still in a serviceable state, then how is it that the media was past it's capacity by OEM definition? The written warranty states to follow the OEM directives; follow the IOLM and everything should be covered. Frankly, I'd be miffed if that is the answer I got back, and I'd press for more details. That alone would make me want to quit purchasing the product; poor customer service irks me to no end.

Agreed--there are a few things to consider:

1. Tearing filters--a simple marketing logo of "new and improved" would at least suggest that changes were made, whether they were or not.
2. Incredibly vague marketing and use materials--how long can the filters be safely used?
3. Inconsistent FCI in the same filters or filter family which can "legally by warranty" be used for 3K on some vehicles due to a set OCI in the OM or be used for 10K based upon iOLM.
4. The lame response they gave in this instance, acknowledging the hole, but doing little to retain confidence in the products by at least offering a replacement and not specifically stating what the FCI should have been to prevent it from reoccuring.

Talk about a company trying to maintain some brand loyalty LOL. They didn't even offer a free filter to replace the one that failed. Blame the user for following the OCI required by the OEM seems to be standard operating practice for Puro.

Shame on them!

Besides, should not the bypass valve open before the media yields? Isn't that the entire purpose of the bp valve? Seems to me that Purolator has thinned their media so much (probably in a cost savings mode) that they've created a condition where the media IS the bypass valve.

Exactly ... IF an oil filter is designed correctly, the media should never tear even if almost fully clogged up because the bypass valve should relieve the pressure delta across the media.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

That chart from Purolator you've shown/referenced a couple of times has always been confusing. It's been discussed many times over the last 5 years, and frankly I still think it's unclear what they are trying to convey.

So after reading this, I'm seeing a budget filter being used for a premium OC. OEM or not, this is not a one-covers-all filter here. It's a BUDGET filter, as I can take one look at this filter and tell it's not an extended filter. The P1 looks much better, and actually looks like it can go more than 5-7k. Heck, if I did use classics, I'd leave the oil and change the filter every 5k.....

I feel a lack of sense here...using a long term oil, and cheap filter? Pony up extra cash and use the RIGHT filter..

Sure, I could have a plummer do my roof because he can, but what kind of job do you expect I will get?

On crack, maybe...
crazy.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
This is meaningless. That filter should have been changed long ago.

01.gif

And every OEM is wildly different too....like 3k to 15k....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
So after reading this, I'm seeing a budget filter being used for a premium OC. OEM or not, this is not a one-covers-all filter here. It's a BUDGET filter, as I can take one look at this filter and tell it's not an extended filter. The P1 looks much better, and actually looks like it can go more than 5-7k. Heck, if I did use classics, I'd leave the oil and change the filter every 5k.....

I feel a lack of sense here...using a long term oil, and cheap filter? Pony up extra cash and use the RIGHT filter..

Sure, I could have a plummer do my roof because he can, but what kind of job do you expect I will get?

On crack, maybe...
crazy.gif
wink.gif

Hallelujah! Another BITOGer that has common sense! I second your motion. If you want to run an oil for a crazy long interval, change your budget filter or buy one that can handle the interval.

Oh I forgot, that logic will never work here. On BITOG you have to use the cheapest tool for the job and then expect it to last forever, and if it doesn't last, it is a peice of junk. Where have you been?
crackmeup2.gif

Oh and the Pureone is much better. That is my go to filter for all 5k and below OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Hallelujah! Another BITOGer that has common sense! I second your motion. If you want to run an oil for a crazy long interval, change your budget filter or buy one that can handle the interval.

Yeah, like something that can handle the job ... a Fram Ultra.
grin.gif

Oh and the Pureone is much better. That is my go to filter for all 5k and below OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

You are right, the Purolators just can't handle a normal OCI anymore.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yeah, like something that can handle the job ... a Fram Ultra.
grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

You are right, the Purolators just can't handle a normal OCI anymore.
eek.gif

Like my frams too!

thumbsup2.gif

Well that sucks if the P1 is for those 5k or less OCIs!

As more manufacturers are moving towards OLMs instead of mileage-based OCIs, it looks like Purolator is no longer an option for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back