Letter from Purolator about a failed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: jk_636

Oh and the Pureone is much better. That is my go to filter for all 5k and below OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Well that sucks if the P1 is for those 5k or less OCIs!

As more manufacturers are moving towards OLMs instead of mileage-based OCIs, it looks like Purolator is no longer an option for some.

In some vehicles the pureone would have no problem with 5k mile OCIs or more. My truck handles them just fine past 5k. Im just saying that it is my policy to run a Pureone through my vehicles no more than 5k. After 5k I go to the synthetic line. Its called using the right tool for the job!!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

A direct quote from their written limited warranty:
Quote:
...which was properly installed and changed following the engine manufacturer's recommended service intervals and was in accord with current Purolator catalog recommendations, ...

This is the basic of Purolator denied warranty if the classic is used for more than 3k miles, P1 is used more than 7k miles and more than 10k miles with synthetic filter.

So, virtually none of Purolator oil filter can be used in most Honda engines, because FCI of most Honda engines is 2 times OCI's and that can be up to 15-20k miles or longer.

As of today I don't have any Purolator oil filter for any car I have, I have Wix, Fram Ultra, Hengst, Mann, Honda PCX-004. I don't plan to buy any Purolator in near future, even at $1/ea or less.

I used various low end to mid range oil filters in my LS400 with FCI of 1 year, the car has more than 370k miles now, so average FCI was 18k miles. I did used P1 in it for several years, but didn't cut open any so I don't know if media was intact or had any tear(s).

^^^ Geeez, I wonder who the "catalysis" is for that to happen?
grin.gif

Hallelujah! Another BITOGer that has common sense!

How is it common sense that a part listed for a particular application will not work in that application? That seems completely illogical and unreasonable to me.

robert

I think it breaks down to three general thrusts here:

The legal:
Purolator written warranty clearly states that they will warrant against equipment damage or failure should their filter be the root cause as long as you use their prescribed filter for the OEM prescribed duration. (There is zero delineation as to any tier application; a Classic is covered just as a Syn or PureOne). Their "budget" filters are covered to the exact same level as any other offering, to the exact same duration as defined by the OEM. Because Puro willingly offers a Classic for sale for these applications, and they warrant the filters equally, there is a complete expectation by the consumer that the Classic should fulfill all stated applications for the full OEM OCI duration. The "budget" topic does not hold water, legally. They are all equal by FTC compliant written warranty. Because their warranty says nothing about replacing the failed filter, they apparently have no obligation (or feel compelled) to replace one. One could even play devil's advocate here and say that a Puro filter for a tranny would not be covered, because the limited written warranty specifically and only uses the term "engine" in reference to damage ... Generally a poorly written document from the consumer's point of view.

The reality:
Some (unknown) percentage of Puro filters are failing in what I would call "normal" service applications. It's somewhat anecdotal because we don't have volume figures to understand the total failures and total exposure, but from the outsider's viewpoint, it ain't pretty ... tears, holes, voids all lead to failure to perform as intended and expected.

The denial:
Puro has made no real attempt to assuage the concens of most complaints. They would rather blame the user, even though plenty of evidence exists to show these were used in accordance with the warranty provisions. If they want/need to create a structured warranty system based upon OCI duration for the three tiers of filters, then they need to alter their written warranty, too. But instead they'd rather blame the user, regardless that he actually followed the prescribed conditions.

I can accept that there is no perfect product 100% of the time. But what a company does in the aftermath tells me a lot about their attitude towards the customer and a desire for future sales.

I've bought my last Puro Product some time ago. Between a heightened risk of failure and a whiz-poor attitude to the customer, my money is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
At least with their oil filters, my money is definitely better spent else where. The only filter readily available for me is the Classic anyways.. so I am better off going to the cheaper competition anyways.

Add that to their poor QC and its a no brainer for me to just keep doing what I'm doing.

The P1 air filters seem pretty stout though. Bought mine for around $20 at AAP. Packed with pleats and has oiled media.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Besides, should not the bypass valve open before the media yields? Isn't that the entire purpose of the bp valve? Seems to me that Purolator has thinned their media so much (probably in a cost savings mode) that they've created a condition where the media IS the bypass valve.

Good point, and why do others deem it necessary to put wire mesh behind certain media types, especially synthetics? It looks like a goof by Purolator to me. No more Purolator soup for me..

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Good point, and why do others deem it necessary to put wire mesh behind certain media types, especially synthetics? It looks like a goof by Purolator to me. No more Purolator soup for me..

Using a wire mesh backing is primarily a full synthetic media thing. Full synthetic media doesn't have enough structural integrity by itself, like cellulose media does.

Pretty lame that a premium level filter can't take a vehicles regular OCI. Obviously Purolator is dragging behind the market. I remember when PureOne was supposed to be the best on the market.

Has anyone really thought about the percentage of lossed filtering that one small "pin hole" makes. Probably not much! Newer cars with cleaner burning engines....10k no problem with the Classic filter. Really people think about the pin hole. I've been running the classic for years at 10k FCI's. Don't know I they have holes or not. Just change them out and don't look back.

^^^ Most people don't want to use inferior products that fail. Some people still do even knowing that failure is possible ... and that's fine as they can use whatever they want.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I always thought the p1 was good for 10k

It can be, depending on overall engine health and driving conditions. I know some of this sounds like a broken record, but a general rule of thumb (based on observations and experience) would be Classics for 3k, Pureones up to 5k and Synthetics out to 15k. Perhaps more based on the variables above.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Pretty lame that a premium level filter can't take a vehicles regular OCI. Obviously Purolator is dragging behind the market. I remember when PureOne was supposed to be the best on the market.

The Pureone is not their premium filter. It would be the equivalent of a Fram Tough Guard. And the Pureone is capable of taking "regular" OCIs, just not extended ones. Their premium filter is the synthetic line, and it is more than capable of handling extended OCIs.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Has anyone really thought about the percentage of lossed filtering that one small "pin hole" makes. Probably not much! Newer cars with cleaner burning engines....10k no problem with the Classic filter. Really people think about the pin hole. I've been running the classic for years at 10k FCI's. Don't know I they have holes or not. Just change them out and don't look back.

The pinhole is miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but I agree that I would rather it NOT be there. That being said, the main complaint on here is that filters "look ugly" more than the tears or pinholes. That argument doesn't carry a lot of weight with some of us. I wouldn't run classics for 10k, but if it works for you, keep on with it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Most people don't want to use inferior products that fail. Some people still do even knowing that failure is possible ... and that's fine as they can use whatever they want.
grin.gif

Lots of things are possible. Every manufacturer has had issues in the past. I remember claims of OCODs disintegrating into motors, Wix displaying false advertising over their efficiency rates, etc. The deciding factor isn't if something is possible, rather how probable it is.

Does it actually specify the recommended use on the box like Fram?

5k, 10k, 15k or something of the nature?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
grin.gif

Lots of things are possible. Every manufacturer has had issues in the past. I remember claims of OCODs disintegrating into motors, Wix displaying false advertising over their efficiency rates, etc. The deciding factor isn't if something is possible, rather how probable it is.

Well, based on the data collected around here, it's pretty possible and probable that Purolators can still have a media tearing issue.

Like I said, MOST people don't use interior products unless they are a) too brand loyal (ie, super fanboy), b) too blind to reality, c) don't have enough money for something better or d) just go through life not really caring about much.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I always thought the p1 was good for 10k

It can be, depending on overall engine health and driving conditions. I know some of this sounds like a broken record, but a general rule of thumb (based on observations and experience) would be Classics for 3k, Pureones up to 5k and Synthetics out to 15k. Perhaps more based on the variables above.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

The Pureone is not their premium filter. It would be the equivalent of a Fram Tough Guard. And the Pureone is capable of taking "regular" OCIs, just not extended ones. Their premium filter is the synthetic line, and it is more than capable of handling extended OCIs.

Are you the new marketing director for Purolator? Best contact them and have them update their technical information and website.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back