Letter from Purolator about a failed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed oil in the Cobalt a few weeks ago and since filter is a cartridge type I took a close look at old filter. It was in use for about a year and 10K miles (Penzoil full syn oil). OLM had just reached 0%. Anyway, upon inspection, ribs/fins on filter were wavy and not straight any more. Shined a light down the center tube and could see a hole, not a tear, about the size of a ballpoint pen tip. Contacted Purolator and they asked me to return it, at their expense, which I did. Received a reply yesterday from MANN+HUMMEL:
Quote:
We are in receipt of the above referenced cartridge oil filter recently returned to us with the complaint pleats. Further, with light a pinhole could be seen in the media. The filter was serviced for about 10,122 miles.

The returned filter was manufactured on March 6, 2013.

Physical inspection of the filter found its pleats slightly compressed. Microscopic analysis found a pinhole in the media. These conditions are likely caused from the filter approaching or exceeding its containment holding capacity. The L15436 filter is manufactured with a center tube. As long as the center tube is present, it will prevent the filter from totally collapsing.

We will retain the filter for 30 days prior to disposal.

Sincerely,

Field Services Department
MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC

So bottom line, in other words, they are saying that their filter can not be trusted to last long enough for a manufacturer specified oil change interval. There is no telling how long it took for the pinhole to appear.
shocked2.gif

That seems a bit high to be running a $4 filter. I don't run a classic over 5k.

I would think that a filter should last long enough to cover a manufacturers recommend oil change interval. I was always under the impression that you changed oil because the oil would "wear out", not because a filter would fail. I guess I'm done using Purolator. Classics

Originally Posted By: ben550
That seems a bit high to be running a $4 filter. I don't run a classic over 5k.

...and from the filter manufacturer's response they agree with you.

I run what I think are good filters for both my cars and don't try anything less. I pay a few dollars more but since oil changes are a trivial expense and I tend to keep cars and I'm going to continue with the current plan.

For my 4Runner V8 I use a longer Mobil 1 M1-209 and for the Honda it's a NAPA Gold 1392.

I had Hengst paper cartridge oil filter in my 2000 E430 for 2 OCI's total 23k miles, it was perfect when I changed it out last year.

In a clean engine a paper oil filter can be easily in service for more than 10-15k miles.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
So bottom line, in other words, they are saying that their filter can not be trusted to last long enough for a manufacturer specified oil change interval. There is no telling how long it took for the pinhole to appear.
shocked2.gif

They have contradictory information on their website for how long the classic and P1 can be used.

Here from the Classic site:

PurolatorOilChart.jpg

Here from the PureOne site:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Here from the Synthetic site:

"Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters are a long-lasting filter, providing engine protection for 10,000 miles."

I have had a similar experience with correspondence from Purolator. The filter I sent them was evaluated and they said it was used for to long. I told them my owner's manual said it was fine to go that long but they said no, that was not true. I sent them the page number from my manual and they replied they had no information on the requirements of a filter for use in a dodge vehicle older than 2004. I told them they shouldn't sell filters for my 99 dodge and I will buy my filters elsewhere.

Interestingly they sent me a link to their guarantee which states they warranty all of their filters for the life outlined in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Link here...https://col126.mail.live.com/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=mgOKqn1Qac5BG5owAhWtanCg2&folderid=flinbox&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&n=11460332

I agree with the OP's opinion. Puro filter quality on their cheap filters can't be trusted for full OCI with modern cars. This is just another example of quality shortcoming they have. There are better brands out there.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have had a similar experience with correspondence from Purolator. The filter I sent them was evaluated and they said it was used for to long. I told them my owner's manual said it was fine to go that long but they said no, that was not true. I sent them the page number from my manual and they replied they had no information on the requirements of a filter for use in a dodge vehicle older than 2004. I told them they shouldn't sell filters for my 99 dodge and I will buy my filters elsewhere.

Interestingly they sent me a link to their guarantee which states they warranty all of their filters for the life outlined in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Link here...https://col126.mail.live.com/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=mgOKqn1Qac5BG5owAhWtanCg2&folderid=flinbox&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&n=11460332

Just another example how they act like an amateur organization.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
shocked2.gif

They have contradictory information on their website for how long the classic and P1 can be used.

Here from the Classic site:

PurolatorOilChart.jpg

Here from the PureOne site:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Here from the Synthetic site:

"Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters are a long-lasting filter, providing engine protection for 10,000 miles."

Based on that chart Purolator is basically saying don't use our classic filter unless you only drive on the highway...occasionally

That clears things up
crazy.gif

I kind used common sense to know the cheap filters are probably not the best choice for long runs with the OLM, so I always steped up to at least the upper tier paper filters (PureONE, Bosch, Wix/Napa Gold) on my Silverado using the OLM...especially since I was also using synthetic oil.

That said, just put a mileage figure on the box like Fram does so the customer at least is given the information up front.

I used to use PureOnes exclusively, but they don't exude much confidence in their product. And for my longer OCIs, Fram has a better filter anyway.

I wrote them off when the torn media became popular here. I was under the impression their filters were designed to last the OCI set by the car maker. Obviously I was wrong. No biggie, it just further justifies "my decision" to write them off. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
I used to use PureOnes exclusively, but they don't exude much confidence in their product. And for my longer OCIs, Fram has a better filter anyway.

+1 Now I'm using OEM filters. Will be trying FU and Napa Gold/Wix (if I can actually get one for a decent price) in the future, though.

Last edited:
You used a classic for 10k miles. Purolator makes great filters, but the classics are not designed to run 10k. That is just ridiculous. This is a prime example of why Purolators "fail." I have said it before and I will say it again. Proper use = proper result. Improper use = writing a letter complaining because your filter "failed" and blaming others for what is essentially your mistake. Sorry man, I can't see any way how this is the manufactures fault. Feel free to join in on the "are Purolator filters safe to use thread." A lot of people there would want to hear about your experience.

Hengst makes the OEM filter for this engine and they are excellent. They sell for $6-$7 at most stores and I see absolutely no reason to use anything else.

shocked2.gif

nope, the bottom line is you used that filter under conditions that exceeded its specifications. frankly i get [censored] off spending more money at a restaurant when they get my order wrong versus spending $4 and getting 12 months of use out of said product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back