Purolator One cartridge filter, 4,554 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jay1981
Yes, there were some below zero starts.

I'm new to cartridge filters however. I'm just curious, what do below zero starts have to do with the filter failing?

I really don't know how this type of system works, or if there is any sort of bypass.

When it's below zero the oil is very thick, which causes a lot of delta-pressure across the filter. At that temperature you can bet the filter bypass valve was opening. Without a filter bypass valve a filter could be destroyed in a cold start situation.

It's possible the filter bypass valve malfunctioned, but it's more likely the media could not take the max delta-p that the bypass valve regulated/allowed across the filter.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I'm new to cartridge filters however. I'm just curious, what do below zero starts have to do with the filter failing?

I really don't know how this type of system works, or if there is any sort of bypass.

When it's below zero the oil is very thick, which causes a lot of delta-pressure across the filter. At that temperature you can bet the filter bypass valve was opening. Without a filter bypass valve a filter could be destroyed in a cold start situation.

It's possible the filter bypass valve malfunctioned, but it's more likely the media could not take the max delta-p that the bypass valve regulated/allowed across the filter.

Interesting comment considering that the OP stated he was running Carquest 0w20. This gets confusing. Is the 0w20 still thick at cold starts yet flowing easier?

Originally Posted by PimTac

Interesting comment considering that the OP stated he was running Carquest 0w20. This gets confusing. Is the 0w20 still thick at cold starts yet flowing easier?

All oils are at least 10 to 15 times thicker at below zero. A 0W-20 will not be quite as thick as a 5W-30 for instance, but it's still thick enough at below zero to cause the filter bypass to open.

Anytime the bypass opens means there's max delta-p across the filter. And if the bypass valve can't "keep up" with the flow it's possible for the delta-p to spike higher than the bypass valve setting.

Anytime
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by IndyFan
The twisting is normal in a Pentastar, but that one is far worse than I've seen and the tearing is unacceptable. I am pretty sure Purolator supplies Mopar filters. I haven't seen one of them torn, but they do get the twist worse than the Fram Ultras I've been running. I'll be running a Mobil 1 filter next time around, so we'll see how it holds up to the Pentastar Twist.

All the ones I've pulled out of my Pentastars had straight pleats, but my vehicles are never short tripped. Basically 95% highway with distances of 20 miles or more one way. Also it never get's that cold around here.

I wonder if this one was short tripped

Last edited:
Whatever filter Carmax put in was wavy in my 300... the Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra were as well. We'll see how the Mopar holds up.

Here's Purolator's reply to my email explaining what happened with the filter:

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. You will need to submit a claim to the Purolator product warranty department. For assistance, please call 1-800-848-3783. You can also view the terms and conditions online at http://www.pureoil.com/en/aboutus1/warranty/.

Their warranty, in a nutshell says that IF it meets their criteria for a warranty claim, they'll replace the filter free of charge, or pay for engine damage if applicable.
I don't want a free filter that I'm not going to use, so I'm not going to bother making a claim. I'll just go with a different brand.

At least with a cartridge filter you can make a warranty claim. All the guys who cut open spin-ons that had media tears would be denied warranty because the can was cut open.

Here's Purolator's reply to my email explaining what happened with the filter:

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. You will need to submit a claim to the Purolator product warranty department. For assistance, please call 1-800-848-3783. You can also view the terms and conditions online at http://www.pureoil.com/en/aboutus1/warranty/.

Their warranty, in a nutshell says that IF it meets their criteria for a warranty claim, they'll replace the filter free of charge, or pay for engine damage if applicable.
I don't want a free filter that I'm not going to use, so I'm not going to bother making a claim. I'll just go with a different brand.

If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts

Lol, not worth the effort.

At least with a cartridge filter you can make a warranty claim. All the guys who cut open spin-ons that had media tears would be denied warranty because the can was cut open.

Good point, but somehow I see them weaseling out of that too. Maybe saying the filter cap was over tightened or an O-ring not lubed properly, etc. The typical B_S a company would claim to avoid a costly repair. I often wonder if they have an excuse book they refer to. In this case they might mail out a filter for goodwill. Huff an engine due to a filter failure and be prepared for a long stormy uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back