Letter from Purolator about a failed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Does it actually specify the recommended use on the box like Fram?

5k, 10k, 15k or something of the nature?

Trolling.gif
Nice try, maybe someone else will bite.
hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I always thought the p1 was good for 10k

It can be, depending on overall engine health and driving conditions. I know some of this sounds like a broken record, but a general rule of thumb (based on observations and experience) would be Classics for 3k, Pureones up to 5k and Synthetics out to 15k. Perhaps more based on the variables above.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Pretty lame that a premium level filter can't take a vehicles regular OCI. Obviously Purolator is dragging behind the market. I remember when PureOne was supposed to be the best on the market.

The Pureone is not their premium filter. It would be the equivalent of a Fram Tough Guard. And the Pureone is capable of taking "regular" OCIs, just not extended ones. Their premium filter is the synthetic line, and it is more than capable of handling extended OCIs.

Are you the new marketing director for Purolator? Best contact them and have them update their technical information and website.
eek.gif

As for the mileage recommendation, that is obviously my opinion and is in no way a representation of the Purolator company. With regards to the grades of filters? Thats just common sense. Classic is base model, Pureone midgrade and Synthetic premium. That is how they market them at least.

^^^ The answer is NO ... the use duration statement is only shown on the Purolator website, but some people (who twist it all around) can't seem to grasp a one sentence statement made by Purolator themselves.

I'm looking at a PureOne PL20195 box right now, and it says absolutely nothing on the box as to how long the filter can be used.

As for the mileage recommendation, that is obviously my opinion and is in no way a representation of the Purolator company. With regards to the grades of filters? Thats just common sense. Classic is base model, Pureone midgrade and Synthetic premium. That is how they market them at least.

Yes, I know it's your opinion and it probably makes more sense than what Purolator claims ... yet Purolator did design, test and qualify those filters, so you would think they know what they are talking about and recommending to the consumers of their product. You see the disconnect yet?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Pretty lame that a premium level filter can't take a vehicles regular OCI. Obviously Purolator is dragging behind the market. I remember when PureOne was supposed to be the best on the market.

The Pureone is not their premium filter. It would be the equivalent of a Fram Tough Guard. And the Pureone is capable of taking "regular" OCIs, just not extended ones. Their premium filter is the synthetic line, and it is more than capable of handling extended OCIs.

That's a stupid argument. The Synthetic has only been on the market for 3 years. They've been making PureOne filters for cars that only have extended OCI'S since before then. So you're telling me that until 3 years ago, not only did Purolator not have a premium filter, but they were also defrauding people by selling them a product engineered for their vehicles that Purolator knew was incapable of surviving the OCI'S spec'd by the vehicles they engineered those filters for.

You've been straining to do some explaining since the get-go, and now you're really going to put the final nail in your big yellow textured gripped coffin.

Quote:

The pinhole is miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but I agree that I would rather it NOT be there.

Are you insane? When people pay for a product that was engineered for their vehicle and it's specifications, they [censored] well better get what they paid for.

^^^

I'm looking at a PureOne PL20195 box right now, and it says absolutely nothing on the box as to how long the filter can be used.

I bought some PSL20195 filters at Kmart a month ago and it said on the box that they were designed to work for up to 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
^^^

I bought some PSL20195 filters at Kmart a month ago and it said on the box that they were designed to work for up to 10k miles.

Yes, I can believe that since Purolator also says their PSL is good for up to 10K miles on their website.

Purolator Synthetic Info

The pinhole is miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but I agree that I would rather it NOT be there. That being said, the main complaint on here is that filters "look ugly" more than the tears or pinholes. That argument doesn't carry a lot of weight with some of us. I wouldn't run classics for 10k, but if it works for you, keep on with it.

Just for clarification, "pinhole" was Purolators description, not mine. I described it as the size of a ballpoint pen tip meaning that I felt it to be much larger than a pinhole. Also there is no telling how large the whole may have been while filter was in use with pressure/flow behind it or if there were others which closed up and did not show without any oil flow.

I found a place locally that sells the Baldwin P7442. Would this filter hold up to a 10k oci?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I always thought the p1 was good for 10k

It can be, depending on overall engine health and driving conditions. I know some of this sounds like a broken record, but a general rule of thumb (based on observations and experience) would be Classics for 3k, Pureones up to 5k and Synthetics out to 15k. Perhaps more based on the variables above.
[/quote]

Except P1 have several (many) reported failures at less than 5K miles. I had two failures by (or before) 3.7K and 3K. And this is the P1 NOT the classic.

The point being that P1 spec-ed a filter for my car (and Subie filters are specific) and could not even make it to the Manufacturer's OCI for a car that is 15 years old (3,750 OCI minimum, for severe 7.5 acceptable).

People are not mis-using the product, Purolator is just churning out low-quality products and then ignoring the customer in most cases. If they are not careful, they might have to ditch measuring their filtration % in centimeter sized particles.

If Purolator is going to claim that it is the manufacturer's OCI, then they need to make the filter to last that long. No ifs, ands, or buts. Because they use that magic word "or" in their disclaimer, by classical logic, if a manufacturer makes an OCI 100,000 and Purolator lists one of their "Classics" as being acceptable for that vehicle, it better last 100,000 .... "budget" filter or not. At least they could say "whichever is shorter" so that they make all their filters 3K filters and thus nix any confusions.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Take the Purolators & give them away, or throw them away, or scrap them-when a company REFUSES to honor the terms of their limited warranty, even when a customer goes through the aggravation of shipping it back (& it's a cartridge filter, meaning they can't use their standard weaseling out[because you "cut it open"])-what is going to happen when one takes out an engine?? They can't even REPLACE ONE FREAKING DEFECTIVE FILTER? I'm not a "Framite" by any measure, but at least Jay's people stand behind their products-there is NO REASON any Classic shouldn't be able to last an OEM OCI-NONE!
Yawn

Originally Posted By: Lubener
This is meaningless. That filter should have been changed long ago.

01.gif

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back