Purolator/Motorcraft Tearing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever happened with all the Purolator filters with the media tearing? My Ranger is due for an oil change. I've always used Motorcraft FL-820S filters on it, but I'm not sure if I should keep using them because of this issue. Were/are these filters affected by the media failures?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No, not really. I would not worry about Motorcraft filters.

+2

And I'm not just saying that, I run Motorcrafts myself.

I cut open my Motorcraft 820S filter off my last oil Change on my 2002 Ranger 4.0L SOHC. It was PERFECT. I would have No worries to keep using same.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
What ever happened with all the Purolator filters with the media tearing?

I think after the tearing fiasco, hardly anybody here is still using Purolators - that's why we haven't seen hardly any photos of Purolators posted up here lately. I'm actually running a PureOne 14610 on my Altima right now, but it's old stash - made March 2011. Will be awhile until it come off for a look.

What ever happened with all the Purolator filters with the media tearing? My Ranger is due for an oil change. I've always used Motorcraft FL-820S filters on it, but I'm not sure if I should keep using them because of this issue. Were/are these filters affected by the media failures?

Do you want to be discouraged form using Motorcraft filters?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think after the tearing fiasco, hardly anybody here is still using Purolators - that's why we haven't seen hardly any photos of Purolators posted up here lately. I'm actually running a PureOne 14610 on my Altima right now, but it's old stash - made March 2011. Will be awhile until it come off for a look.
" Hardly anobody here", what is your basis for saying that?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

" Hardly anobody here", what is your basis for saying that?

How many here have posted up photos of cut open Purolators since all the tearing issue started this summer. Not many compared to the number of cut & posts that were being done. You got any better data that says otherwise? I don't think many are still using Purolators after the whole tearing issue broke out - many members here have said they stopped using Purolators.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

I didn't know if only certain part numbers had the tearing issue and if the FL-820S was one of them. I'm willing to keep using them if they weren't affected, or if the problem is fixed. I went to Wal-Mart today to get a Motorcraft, but they had only one left in stock with a torn open box and two huge dents in the filter. So I went to Napa and got a Napa Gold 1372. Keep the comments coming though; I might continue to use Motorcrafts in the future.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

I didn't know if only certain part numbers had the tearing issue and if the FL-820S was one of them. I'm willing to keep using them if they weren't affected, or if the problem is fixed. I went to Wal-Mart today to get a Motorcraft, but they had only one left in stock with a torn open box and two huge dents in the filter. So I went to Napa and got a Napa Gold 1372. Keep the comments coming though; I might continue to use Motorcrafts in the future.

That's what I'm using now instead of the fl-820s filter. Call me chicken little if you wish, but I do not trust Purolator or Purolator made filters anymore.

I still trust and like Motorcrafts. I have not run one in a while though I am thinking of running another FL-400s over the winter.

No issues here with my Purolator made Mopar filters. The pleats are a bit wavy, but that seems to run in the 820s lineup as well. My Jeep is quiet(er) with them at start up too, but I'm not fond of the price. MC filters are a great value.

I have a 400s ready for my winter OCI.. Most likely around Christmas or so.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
There are two Motorcraft filter failures listed in the Excel spreadsheet on BITOG tracking Purolator oil filter tearing issues.

See row 35 (FL-820S) and row 39 (FL-910S)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

Pic of the FL-820S can be found in this thread

Torn FL-820S

Note that the failure depicted in that thread is NOT the same as the Purolator tearing issue (this was a big hole punched in the media at the bottom of a pleat, vs the pleat tearing sideways on the Purolator filters) and may have been a pre-existing issue with the filter.

I've cut and posted a pile of FL-820S's, as have many others and they all look generally very good.

I'll be posting pics of a Purolator in a week or two. I don't buy them any more but still have two to use up. While I like the local Walmart price of $3.27 for the filter I need, I'm going to run two OCI's on a Fram TG and come out a little ahead.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
There are two Motorcraft filter failures listed in the Excel spreadsheet on BITOG tracking Purolator oil filter tearing issues.

See row 35 (FL-820S) and row 39 (FL-910S)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

Pic of the FL-820S can be found in this thread

Torn FL-820S

Note that the failure depicted in that thread is NOT the same as the Purolator tearing issue (this was a big hole punched in the media at the bottom of a pleat, vs the pleat tearing sideways on the Purolator filters) and may have been a pre-existing issue with the filter.

I've cut and posted a pile of FL-820S's, as have many others and they all look generally very good.

I reckon you can take that up with the keeper of the spreadsheet, but for now, it exists. Even if it was a pre-existing issue with the filter does this not speak of an undesirable issue, documented and with a pic?

If they generally look good, what do the ungenerally ones look like?

I'd say I've followed/watched the Puro tear issue as long as anyone here, and can say I'd use any Motorcraft filter with complete confidence. Been a few tears reported but not a pattern of failure.

Of course as I've never had a tear in a PL14610 and some Classic variants over substantial OCI's, I'd have no issue using them again, but that's an aside. And currently obtaining Napa Gold for
I would say if I owned a Subaru, I'd be more wary of using the PL/L14610 as they seem have more tear issues in my observation, for whatever reason(s). If used there I'd keep the fci's shorter. Other than that, recently the 14610/14612's used over reasonable to a bit longer fci's, have looked ok.

Normally don't comment on the tear subject anymore especially with one poster who 'imo' trolls the topic with useless/redundant thread starters, with information easily found with an easy search of this board. But, I don't see that as the case here so I give my assessment.

Bottom line, use the Motorcraft with confidence. My .02

I reckon you can take that up with the keeper of the spreadsheet,

The keeper of the spreadsheet is aware that it is not the same failure model. It is included in the sheet because it is a Purolator product. That said, of all the Motorcraft filters on this site of the FL-820S variety that have been cut, and yet only two of them have shown any issues. Which is on-par with the issues we've seen with filters from all the other manufacturers. It is insignificant.

but for now, it exists. Even if it was a pre-existing issue with the filter does this not speak of an undesirable issue, documented and with a pic?

Just like the FRAM failures, the WIX failures the....etc. There are plenty of filters that we see posted. I recall a recent FRAM with the EXACT same failure model as this Motorcraft, it looked like somebody popped their finger through the media. The thing is they are uncommon, and the number of Motorcraft filter issues are in that same vein: uncommon.

If they generally look good, what do the ungenerally ones look like?

That's not even a word
wink.gif

But the ones that have looked "not as good" have distorted (but not torn) media. Which we've seen with all brands. Usually has to do with the media being exposed to moisture. Common with filters run over the winter.

IMHO, in all the data I've seen regarding the Purolator issues, the Motorcraft filters, with the Ford-spec media, don't seem to be experiencing the same issue. That's not to say they are perfect; no filter is. Simply that they are not experiencing the specific pleat-tear issue that the Purolator-branded products have exhibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back