Thoughts on Purolator's tearing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of "glass media" post & threads contain data and references that have proven that cellulose based oil filters really are obsolete if maximum oil filtration efficiency is the end goal.

Meanwhile, tons of vehicles make it to 300,000 miles JUST FINE
with plain ol' conventional oil and "el cheapo" cellulose filters.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Also the way I read on tear issue is peoples using way over what the filter recommend to do .

How many people on here are far exceeding OEM OCIs?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Another thing that bug me is . Peoples here keep recommend fram TG or EG . Why not wix Napa gold .... they pretty much same price or not much different to make a different
crazy.gif

I guess availability and pricing matters. I don't recommend the lower tiered Frams often, just because they're priced way above their level here. Baldwins are half the price, and Wix regularly beats them, too, but not by as much. If someone wants to go to Canadian Tire and spend close to $10 on a Fram orange can for my F-150, they're free to do so, but I'll go for the $4.99 Wix or the $4 Baldwin.

I don't get why Frams are so expensive in Canada. Seems the filters that cost more than a Fram in the US are cheaper than a Fram in Canada.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I don't get why Frams are so expensive in Canada. Seems the filters that cost more than a Fram in the US are cheaper than a Fram in Canada.

"Canadian pricing" (that's a real thing) is a marketing tactic that takes advantage of the fact that Canadians will pay arbitrarily higher prices than their US counterparts. That means it's not accounting for logistical costs or anything like that, it's a higher MSRP just because it can be.
08.gif

Originally Posted By: MParr
ZeeOSix
It could be because, FRAM has no manufacturing locations in Canada.

I miss Kralinator filters, they were dark green and made in Canada.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's as much a Canada thing as a Fram thing, really. Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada are just silly. An independent parts store is always the best place to buy filters, aside from a CT or WM sale, especially on Fram Ultra.

I don't know why Baldwin is so cheap at Acklands here. For what they charge under $5 for last year and this year, in years previous they wanted $20. Someone obviously revamped something there, and I know they're not losing money on their filters even now. They also are selling the Casite filters for under $2.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My thoughts haven't changed, and most likely won't. I'm done with Purolator, there are much better filters for the same or less money. Why would I want to chance it?

+1 I agree with this. It can not be stated any better than this.

+2 Couldn't have said it any better. My Impala gets AC Delco filters, the rest Fram or Napa. Anybody that wants to use Purolator - go for it, but not for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back