PUP 5W30 Changes From SM , SN/SN+ , SP Versions ?

There was no SL version of PU and I'm pretty sure there was no SL version of PP either. I think the last SL version of Pennzoil synthetic was the one which used 'Pennzane' IIRC.
I still have a few PU SM dated 2010 and PP from when it first came out in 2007 in my collection. I know that the original SM PU was thought to be awesome on this site and it's status among BITOGers declined as time went on for the reasons stated in this tread. In reality I think that both are very good oils in all their past and present formulas.
I think it's strange how hard it got kicked go the curb here. Even if the NOACK isn't so incredible as it was before, it's still an excellent oil at a good price. It's about $3.50 a jug cheaper than Mobil 1 at Walmart right now and has been for awhile. I don't think we've seen the popularity of any oil brand skyrocket and then fall so hard as we have with Pennzoil here. GTL went from being all the rage to being basically ignored.

I think it's strange how hard it got kicked go the curb here. Even if the NOACK isn't so incredible as it was before, it's still an excellent oil at a good price. It's about $3.50 a jug cheaper than Mobil 1 at Walmart right now and has been for awhile. I don't think we've seen the popularity of any oil brand skyrocket and then fall so hard as we have with Pennzoil here. GTL went from being all the rage to being basically ignored.
It went from remarkable to relatively common on the specs front and that resulted in it rather rapidly losing its allure.

Where would you rank PP against Edge, M1, and Valvoline synthetic?
At first blush I'd be inclined to rank it the same as standard M1, but standard M1 has a 10,000 mile interval claim, while PP doesn't, and PU doesn't have a claim either, while M1 EP has an even higher one so it makes it a bit difficult to line them up. Castrol's easy, because they mirror what Mobil does with the mileage claims.

That said, I'd assume that's how Shell is targeting them.

Back