Proper ATF 2003 Odyssey

Your in-depth, thorough and technical explanation has changed my mind. Thanks !
That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works. Your emotions and baseless opinions do not constitute the facts of the situation.

Analysis of the fluid says it is actually "special". Most Dexron-based ATFs are very similar with slight variations, but DW-1 is formulated with substantially different amounts of (2) (as I recall) components and no aftermarket ATFs come anywhere close. Why does Honda do this ? No one can publicly say, but they must be doing it for a reason.
Different additive composition - yes
Different end result - ???
Some love maxlife in theirs some love amsoil some use nothing but Honda, whose to know whether it makes enough difference to make a difference?

Some love maxlife in theirs some love amsoil some use nothing but Honda, whose to know whether it makes enough difference to make a difference?
It's hard to judge end performance on additive package alone. Keep in mind many manufactures recommend their multi-vehicle ATF for DW-1. Like Amsoil, Redline, LiquiMoly, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol. I doubt that they're all wrong

Has to be a reason why too. It would be simpler, less expensive, etc for Honda to build transmissions that used regular, Dexron-type ATF, but they don't.

Plenty of people can feel the difference in shifting. Reality is, it's pretty much impossible to do a valid, side-by-side comparison.

amounts of (2) (as I recall) components and no aftermarket ATFs come anywhere close. Why does Honda do this ? No one can publicly say, but they must be doing it for a reason.
Zinc and magnesium. I do think that is for the synchronizers, Regular Dexron isn't going to kill the transmission by all means, you can run maxlife, but the only thing that will change is the shifting profile even if it does, it might not be noticeable. or if the transmission has less wear and it does.
Those syncronizers engage alot harsher even with a 100ppm difference for some reasson, but for some it doesn't , especially if they are a little worn.

Analysis of the fluid says it is actually "special". Most Dexron-based ATFs are very similar with slight variations, but DW-1 is formulated with substantially different amounts of (2) (as I recall) components and no aftermarket ATFs come anywhere close. Why does Honda do this ? No one can publicly say, but they must be doing it for a reason.

Even their special formula didn't help with those transmissions :sneaky:
You could change it annually with Z1 or DW1 from the dealer and it will still fail before 60k :D

Honda probably formulated their ATF differently because their automatic transmissions are of a different design. They didn't use planetary gears, due to patent issues. Honda's in-house automatic transmissions are just automated manual transmissions :unsure:

The new 10-speed auto they came out with recently is Honda's first in-house automatic with planetary gears. Honda also used the ZF 9-speed in some late-model cars. Most of the 10-speed Hondas are too new to need an ATF change, and the ZF9 can use any ATF that any other ZF9 can use (lots of cars from the past 10 years have the ZF9)

Which cars from the last 10 years have used the ZF9?

Edit

AcuraEdit

• TLX (V6 models, 2015-2020)
  • MDX (2016-2020, non-hybrid models)

Alfa RomeoEdit

ChryslerEdit

FIATEdit

Opel/VauxhallEdit

• Engine)

HondaEdit

InfinitiEdit

JeepEdit

Ram TrucksEdit

JaguarEdit

NissanEdit

Well I searched online, but since I trust you guys more than some other random sources out there...

A older lady friend of mine is getting a used (obviously) 2003 Odyssey and I'm going to help her out with some basic service. One of which initially will be a drain and refill of the ATF.

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna and I know you don't need Toyota ATF as Valvoline Maxlife works just fine. But I heard, or maybe I just dreamed it, that Honda transmissions are a little weird in that regard.

So I want to know is what after market ATF I can put in there that would most likely be compatible with whatever else is already in there, as I'm guessing that the Honda brand that Honda wants you to put in is probably a lot more expensive then say Valvoline Maxlife from Walmart.

But, if the Honda brand is the only magic fluid that is acceptable, then that is what I want to use.

Thanks
Maxlife has worked great for me in 4 different auto Hondas.
Use it with confidence.

That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works. Your emotions and baseless opinions do not constitute the facts of the situation.
Here are the facts of the situation:

... and THAT's how that works.

Well I searched online, but since I trust you guys more than some other random sources out there...

A older lady friend of mine is getting a used (obviously) 2003 Odyssey and I'm going to help her out with some basic service. One of which initially will be a drain and refill of the ATF.

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna and I know you don't need Toyota ATF as Valvoline Maxlife works just fine. But I heard, or maybe I just dreamed it, that Honda transmissions are a little weird in that regard.

So I want to know is what after market ATF I can put in there that would most likely be compatible with whatever else is already in there, as I'm guessing that the Honda brand that Honda wants you to put in is probably a lot more expensive then say Valvoline Maxlife from Walmart.

But, if the Honda brand is the only magic fluid that is acceptable, then that is what I want to use.

Thanks
Sounds like you said "no" and she didn't buy... which is a win right there.

A 2003 Honda Ody transmission with 205K miles and no major work would be a rare bird indeed.

My well-cared-for 2005 Pilot made it to 210-ish K before having problems, and was totally done at 214K... and that transmission had many improvements over the 03.

Back