Proper ATF 2003 Odyssey

Well I searched online, but since I trust you guys more than some other random sources out there...

A older lady friend of mine is getting a used (obviously) 2003 Odyssey and I'm going to help her out with some basic service. One of which initially will be a drain and refill of the ATF.

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna and I know you don't need Toyota ATF as Valvoline Maxlife works just fine. But I heard, or maybe I just dreamed it, that Honda transmissions are a little weird in that regard.

So I want to know is what after market ATF I can put in there that would most likely be compatible with whatever else is already in there, as I'm guessing that the Honda brand that Honda wants you to put in is probably a lot more expensive then say Valvoline Maxlife from Walmart.

But, if the Honda brand is the only magic fluid that is acceptable, then that is what I want to use.

Thanks

Last edited:
Take your pick. There's:

Honda DW1 - The only 'official' fluid

Idemitsu H Plus
Aisin DW1
Castrol Transmax Import
Valvoline Maxlife

As well as a few others from Beck Arnley and I'm sure I'm missing one.

I have used DW1 and the Idemitsu for years, however, I am switching to Valvoline Maxlife because the Idemitsu has priced itself out of the game. Used to be able to pick up 5qts for $30, now that it's $45 and climbing I can't justify it.

Used to be you could get Honda DW1 for $90 shipped (12 quart case). I just looked on eBay and it appears as though it is up around $120+ for 12 quarts, so not really much of a deal there to be had there anymore.

For me, it will be Maxlife from here on out.

If it has never been done, plan on doing 2-3 D&F's with a few miles drive in between them.

Odds are it's still got the original ATF in there. Unless she has service records stating otherwise, assume that's what's in it. I'd stick to Honda DW-1. You can get it for $8/quart at the dealer and yeah, it's 2x what Valvoline Maxlife costs, but it's without question "safer" to use. A single drain/refill is only ~3.5 quarts so less than $35 in fluid...

AMSOIL ATF (red cap) - you won't be disapointed.

Maxlife is a great choice for your Ody :)

Other good choices are Castrol Full Synthetic ATF and any other synthetic ATF that mentions Honda Z1 or DW1 on the bottle (or mfr's website).

You don't have to use DW1 from the dealer (the new DW1 was back-spec'd from the original Z1 Honda used when your car was new).

Idemitsu H Plus is the closest, the regular DW has some additive difference that some of the universal atf's do not have

It is not a planetary automatic transmission, its an automated manual gearbox.

I used Idemitsu H-plus in my 06 odyssey.

There is a difference between maxlife and Dw-1/H-plus regarding the friction modifiers. You might notice difference in shifting.

Really you can use pretty much whatever atf but it’s all going to come down to shift feel. If you put maxlife in and it shifts weird is it the fluid or a transmission issue. With Honda dw1 at least the transmission will feel like Honda intended it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I appreciate your input up to this point.

What I'm really afraid of now is that it has a crappy transmission period. Just got done reading about all the horror stories on the Honda transmissions from around that time.

Now the only question is, if it's made it to 205k with no problem, does that mean there's not likely to be any problem outside of the norm, or that it's going to go any second?

That's rhetorical, as I know that's an unanswerable question. Would just hate to be responsible for putting my elderly friend in that bad situation. Kind of why I don't like helping with this car buying stuff in the first place for her, but if I don't do it I'm afraid somebody will really sell her some crap that would be obvious to most anybody else.

Last edited:
Now the only question is, if it's made it to 205k with no problem, does that mean there's not likely to be any problem outside of the norm, or that it's going to go any second?
I highly doubt it is the original automatic. An 03 should have had the oil jet recall performed, so look for an unusual contraption where the fill plug is normally located. If it still has that contraption, then it is the original automatic.

THANKS AGAIN ALL - but I went and saw the car today, and even though it was one of the rare offerings where the person had actually had it smogged, as required by California law, and ready to sell, it was otherwise cosmetically and maintenance-wise deficient. 💩

THANKS AGAIN ALL - but I went and saw the car today, and even though it was one of the rare offerings where the person had actually had it smogged, as required by California law, and ready to sell, it was otherwise cosmetically and maintenance-wise deficient. 💩
did you check the dipstick to see the condition?

did you check the dipstick to see the condition?
Oh yes. Power steering, brake trans and oil all varying degrees of black with varying degrees of negative viscosity. Coolant had a slight brown tinge to it.

Was willing to risk it if the seller had accepted the 1,500 I offered, but other than that it needed too much out the gate;

Timing belt/water pump - major tune-up - replacing ALL fluids and related filters - steam cleaning the interior - replacing rear hatch struts - shocks all around - cover over rear hatch handle area was missing - left headlight and turn signal assembly had been puttied into place because he got hit in a parking lot.

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head. I can't do much of the work except some of the simple drain and refills of the fluid. But I have a retired mechanic friend who keeps his hand in and his labor is half the price of what most local shops charge. But even with that would be over $1,000

DW-1 is not special by any means. Maxlife will work great in it.
Analysis of the fluid says it is actually "special". Most Dexron-based ATFs are very similar with slight variations, but DW-1 is formulated with substantially different amounts of (2) (as I recall) components and no aftermarket ATFs come anywhere close. Why does Honda do this ? No one can publicly say, but they must be doing it for a reason.

Analysis of the fluid says it is actually "special". Most Dexron-based ATFs are very similar with slight variations, but DW-1 is formulated with substantially different amounts of (2) (as I recall) components and no aftermarket ATFs come anywhere close. Why does Honda do this ? No one can publicly say, but they must be doing it for a reason.
No.

Back