Prius c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed matters, but so does long drives. This tank of gas in my Tundra managed 20.2mpg. That is on winter fuel and temps around 30F lately. But while I had some short drives down the block most of the miles were put on 30+ at a time, so few cold starts.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Based on reviews I have seen, it seems like it may be worth it to make the jump onto the base trim of a normal Prius instead of buying a Prius C. Note that normal cars are starting getting decent mpg on highway. The 2013 Honda Accord gives you about 35mpg highway EPA estimates, and the fuel economy observed in real world is pretty close. The Prius on a highway may give you 50mpg on a level road, going under 70mph, but there is certainly a hybrid price premium. The new one stickets at +24K which is over 2K more than the similarly equipped base Accord LX.

The base Accord LX would also be a much, much nicer car to commute in than any version of the Prius. It has a better driving position, lower noise and better handling.

The 35mpg is a fairly ideal scenario, so one should be more concerned with the EPA combined estimate.

The bigger concern with the Accord would be its CVT, as Honda's track record with those units has not been the greatest.

The Critic is right about driving position on the Accords. They had the best visibility of the cars we tested. You can hunt down a 6 speed manual Accord and skip the CVT gamble. Camry got out of selling manuals all together so we didn't bother looking at Toyota.

The power, comfort, handling, space, entire package really, makes us not care that its only rated 34 highway. We are used to 50 mpg diesels. 34 is good enough.

Sometimes I think we bought the last Camry with a stick. Not the last year, but literally the last one made...

Wife says, according to her record book, that she gets 32ish. As high as 35-36 in it. 32 in our rural commuting, not bad. I get 28 flogging it. I'm guessing we wouldn't hit those numbers if it was an automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back