Suzuki Jimny and Auteco Zhidou

Quick few days in Bermuda and got to experience two extremes; a small Ute I wish we had here and a first for me, a vehicle that had absolutely no endearing characteristics.

The Suzuki Jimny was a blast, didn't get much seat time, but what a great little, quality basic utility 4x4. Wish they still sold them here, perfect lake house car or similar as well as a decent primary vehicle.

Now the Auteco, which appears to be a version of the Zhidou. It is a 2 seat electric 'city car', or island car in this case, but what a terrible vehicle. We rented this for a few days and a full charge gives you ~90 miles...which can go down as much as 50% if you use the A/C. We didn't. The vehicle was ~2 years old and was already blistering and running rust from various fasteners. Rattles, thumps and the worst brakes I have used in a road vehicle to the point where I poked under to see if we had any pad left due to the lack of stopping and noise; we did. While it was fine for the island, acceleration was tepid, and it slows a bit up steep hills. Awful.

Next time, we're getting the tandem seat vehicle, I am sure it is similar, but at least quirky enough to be entertaining.

I've seen the future and I am not happy :D

ZUDB52024.jpg

I love Bermuda and have posted some of the motorcycles and scooters there. I have a family member living there. I enjoy the British influence and every once in a while a car carrier arrives from Asia to bring in new cars, all right hand drive. On the power forefront Bermuda generates the majority of its power from oil, and incinerates it’s garbage, preheating water for the boilers I believe. Hopefully more solar will be added for car charging. Thanks for the post.

Here is some info on their waste incinerator power plant. The chimney waste gas is passed through a precipitator then simply blown east over the Atlantic Ocean by the prevailing winds. Enjoy.

3A0CE067-498D-4121-839E-3515A9541165.jpg

Last edited:
I love Bermuda and have posted some of the motorcycles and scooters there. I have a family member living there. I enjoy the British influence and every once in a while a car carrier arrives from Asia to bring in new cars, all right hand drive. On the power forefront Bermuda generates the majority of its power from oil, and incinerates it’s garbage, preheating water for the boilers I believe. Hopefully more solar will be added for car charging. Thanks for the post.
My Wife goes there for Board meetings, but I had not gone, and she is usually there for ~48 hours max. I truly enjoyed it. Aside from the historical and tourist activities, I actually drove through the power complex out of curiosity, saw a car carrier heading to the island and am fascinated by the water collection systems. We were lucky in that most of our days there were between cruise ships so even the touristy attractions weren't crowded. Forgot how much I liked wahoo and conch fritters.

Very pleasantly surprised by the Swizzle Inn, much better than we expected. Did see a RHD vintage MG which is probably the perfect fun car for there.

My Wife goes there for Board meetings, but I had not gone, and she is usually there for ~48 hours max. I truly enjoyed it. Aside from the historical and tourist activities, I actually drove through the power complex out of curiosity, saw a car carrier heading to the island and am fascinated by the water collection systems. We were lucky in that most of our days there were between cruise ships so even the touristy attractions weren't crowded. Forgot how much I liked wahoo and conch fritters.

Very pleasantly surprised by the Swizzle Inn, much better than we expected. Did see a RHD vintage MG which is probably the perfect fun car for there.
Swizzle Inn and Stagger out. A must when you are on the way to the airport.

Quick few days in Bermuda and got to experience two extremes; a small Ute I wish we had here and a first for me, a vehicle that had absolutely no endearing characteristics.

The Suzuki Jimny was a blast, didn't get much seat time, but what a great little, quality basic utility 4x4. Wish they still sold them here, perfect lake house car or similar as well as a decent primary vehicle.

Now the Auteco, which appears to be a version of the Zhidou. It is a 2 seat electric 'city car', or island car in this case, but what a terrible vehicle. We rented this for a few days and a full charge gives you ~90 miles...which can go down as much as 50% if you use the A/C. We didn't. The vehicle was ~2 years old and was already blistering and running rust from various fasteners. Rattles, thumps and the worst brakes I have used in a road vehicle to the point where I poked under to see if we had any pad left due to the lack of stopping and noise; we did. While it was fine for the island, acceleration was tepid, and it slows a bit up steep hills. Awful.

Next time, we're getting the tandem seat vehicle, I am sure it is similar, but at least quirky enough to be entertaining.

View attachment 220226
Is it supposed to be a Renault Twizzy copy?

View attachment 220226
From my reading/ hearing etc Suzuki was a cheap bottom of the barrel vehicles. The Suzuki Arashi was what Suzuki needed 10 years earlier to stay afloat in the USA.

I’m visiting potential future family in Norway. We’ve ridden around quite a bit in a very small Suzuki, gasser, NA, light hybrid, AWD, 5MT. It’s a small car. The seating holds 4 adults in comfort. It holds the road well. The NVH is quite low for its size. The MPG seems to be in the mid 40s. Engine makes power without balking at 1400 rpm and even a smidge lower. Zero squeaks or rattles. Arguably less plasticky interior than Honda, Toyota. For a small, inexpensive car, they have done quite a few things right.

From my reading/ hearing etc Suzuki was a cheap bottom of the barrel vehicles. The Suzuki Arashi was what Suzuki needed 10 years earlier to stay afloat in the USA.
I would say that the US market's perception of a very small basic vehicle necessarily being 'cheap' was greater than the reality which was that they were decent, well engineered vehicles for what they were.

Back