Vacationing in the C43

My wife and I made our annual pilgrimage to Seabrook Island recently and the C43 performed like a champ, delivering over 30 mpg on some stretches. As before, the typical cruising speed was between 80-85 mph- a velocity that resulted in me being passed by approximately the same number of cars that passed me. We did run into a few backups, and the Distronic Plus proved to be a godsend- not nagging me to grab the wheel until the car reached 20 mph.
There weren't very many exciting cars to be found on Seabrook; it seemed like everyone drove an SUV- the majority being German, followed by Asian and American CUVs. In our complex there was an X5 M Competition, a Cayenne and a Carrera 4S, but aside from that, nothing even remotely entertaining.
I did put my time driving around the island to good use by perfecting my bystander annoyance technique- courtesy of the AMG Performance Exhaust. The procedure is very simple; put the car in Sport+ and activate the manual shift mode- then, as you approach a stop sign or traffic circle, quickly downshift to second or first. The resulting pops and bangs are simply glorious.

a velocity that resulted in me being passed by approximately the same number of cars that passed me.
I think you missed a word in there somewhere.
I'm not to familiar with current Mercedes options I am in need of googling a few things apparently (distronic Plus etc)

I think you missed a word in there somewhere.
I'm not to familiar with current Mercedes options I am in need of googling a few things apparently (distronic Plus etc)
You are correct; I meant to say that I passed the same number of cars that passed me.
Distronic Plus is essentially Level 2 autonomy; it''s adaptive cruise coupled with lane keeping assist. It functions down to 0 mph and will stay activated in stop and go traffic as long as the car in front of you doesn't sit for too long. Above 20 mph the system requires you to still pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel- and will operate up to 125 mph. The system will even change lanes if it is safe to do so- you just use the turn signal and the car follows suit. It's really helpful on long interstate slogs.

Wherever Seabrook is, I'm sure all the others on holiday loved your noisy exhaust.
I'd hope so. The AMG Performance Exhaust was a factory option, but it should be standard; my only complaint is that it defaults to quiet on restarts. The overall sound reminds me of the exhaust on my E24 M6, especially after the catalytic converter of the 6er accidentally fell off in the garage one Saturday morning.

Unless I had it wrong all these years, doesn’t BMW do the complete opposite? Even on fake dual exhaust factory systems, there is always a flap on one side that closes, to quiet the exhaust? I mean in 2007 people did the golf tee mod to disable the closing of the flap…

I was always told my N54 has a true dual as exhibited by separate manifolds per 3 cyl, an x pipe and an h pipe. I like having it as it’s just the engineers being able to do what they wanted back then

My wife and I made our annual pilgrimage to Seabrook Island recently and the C43 performed like a champ, delivering over 30 mpg on some stretches. As before, the typical cruising speed was between 80-85 mph- a velocity that resulted in me being passed by approximately the same number of cars that passed me. We did run into a few backups, and the Distronic Plus proved to be a godsend- not nagging me to grab the wheel until the car reached 20 mph.
There weren't very many exciting cars to be found on Seabrook; it seemed like everyone drove an SUV- the majority being German, followed by Asian and American CUVs. In our complex there was an X5 M Competition, a Cayenne and a Carrera 4S, but aside from that, nothing even remotely entertaining.
I did put my time driving around the island to good use by perfecting my bystander annoyance technique- courtesy of the AMG Performance Exhaust. The procedure is very simple; put the car in Sport+ and activate the manual shift mode- then, as you approach a stop sign or traffic circle, quickly downshift to second or first. The resulting pops and bangs are simply glorious.
Glad the car performed well. Seabrook is a great place - we have a place there. Do yourself a favor and leave the fart can exhaust noises off the island. You are probably violating a noise ordinance and the locals are not tolerant - people go there because they don’t want crime, grit, the smell of weed, or people who disregard basic civility. With a car making all that noise, you will come off as someone who hails from a trailer park or some sort of ghetto. Plus the fact that in most states, modifications that make the car louder than stock are not legal. And unlike in other places, South Carolina police still actually enforce the law. Particularly in Seabrook. So you will get grabbed at some point.

Last edited:
Unless I had it wrong all these years, doesn’t BMW do the complete opposite? Even on fake dual exhaust factory systems, there is always a flap on one side that closes, to quiet the exhaust? I mean in 2007 people did the golf tee mod to disable the closing of the flap…

I was always told my N54 has a true dual as exhibited by separate manifolds per 3 cyl, an x pipe and an h pipe. I like having it as it’s just the engineers being able to do what they wanted back then
Noise restrictions over the last decade have become more stringent in various markets. Engineering Explained in a video on a limited edition 911 commented how the sound test for California changed either the shift points or the tuning of that particular 911. Something about the max db at 3rd gear.

Your N54 only has dual headers because BMW went with the more expensive to assemble twin turbo vs using the single twin-scroll.

Last edited:
Noise restrictions over the last decade have become more stringent in various markets. Engineering Explained in a video on a limited edition 911 commented how the sound test for California changed either the shift points or the turning of that particular 911. Something about the max db at 3rd gear.

Your N54 only has dual headers because BMW went with the more expensive to assemble twin turbo vs using the single twin-scroll.
At any rate sounds like good fuel economy with the C43. Seabrook is SC? I was thinking NH at first.

My lesson in exhaust is when my manual Maxima’s exhaust broke at age 12. I learned to drive and shift to keep the noise down. There was in fact a time when loud exhaust was embarrassing, and that’s how I felt with a broken exhaust..

Glad the car performed well. Seabrook is a great place - we have a place there. Do yourself a favor and leave the fart can exhaust noises off the island. You are probably violating a noise ordinance and the locals are not tolerant - people go there because they don’t want crime, grit, the smell of weed, or people who disregard basic civility. With a car making all that noise, you will come off as someone who hails from a trailer park or some sort of ghetto. Plus the fact that in most states, modifications that make the car louder than stock are not legal. And unlike in other places, South Carolina police still actually enforce the law. Particularly in Seabrook. So you will get grabbed at some point.
ICYMI, the exhaust on my car was installed at the factory. I seriously doubt that I’ll be branded a scofflaw by driving my car in Sport+- especially since I’ve obeyed the traffic laws and remained ticket-free over the 23 years we have visited here.
But rest easy, I’ve returned to my trailer park ghetto to commiserate with my M Car and AMG owning neighbors. Feel free to go back to yelling at the kids to get off your lawn.

ICYMI, the exhaust on my car was installed at the factory. I seriously doubt that I’ll be branded a scofflaw by driving my car in Sport+- especially since I’ve obeyed the traffic laws and remained ticket-free over the 23 years we have visited here.
But rest easy, I’ve returned to my trailer park ghetto to commiserate with my M Car and AMG owning neighbors. Feel free to go back to yelling at the kids to get off your lawn.
In 1991 I had a gf who asked if I’d rather live in a trailer, or an apt. With that question, I knew she was “the one.” She broke up with me as I was enjoying her at the time.

Sometimes truth is hard to hear. Keep in mind money does not equal class, in the sense of knowing how to behave.

Sometimes truth is hard to hear. Keep in mind money does not equal class, in the sense of knowing how to behave.
BITOG was has been running a bit short when it comes to self-appointed arbiters of "class" and proper behavior so rest assured that countless others are undoubtedly grateful for your presence on this august forum.

BITOG was has been running a bit short when it comes to self-appointed arbiters of "class" and proper behavior so rest assured that countless others are undoubtedly grateful for your presence on this august forum.
We are talking about basic manners, not having dinner with the queen. There are many of us tired of people acting like asses generally, including on public roads. Want to go fast and make “vroom vroom” noises, go do it safely — go drive on a track in an HPDE, or build a track car and go wheel to wheel. Or if you are a beginner, go find a local autocross group. Just need to overinflate the tires and you can start to learn car control. That’s what I did for many years and it was a ton of fun. Otherwise, learn basic decency and respect for others, and grow up. No one wants to listen to your car. Take care, I mean that seriously. Again, tough to hear truth sometimes.

Last edited:
We are talking about basic manners, not having dinner with the queen. There are many of us tired of people acting like asses generally, including on public roads. Want to go fast and make “vroom vroom” noises, go do it safely — go drive on a track in an HPDE, or build a track car and go wheel to wheel. Just need to overinflate the tires and you can start to learn car control. That’s what I did for many years and it was a ton of fun. Otherwise, learn basic decency and respect for others, and grow up. No one wants to listen to your car. Take care, I mean that seriously. Again, tough to hear truth
Who said anything about going fast? I was just taking about eliciting a few extra pops and crackles when coming to a stop, but I apologize if I put your delicates in a twist over such brazen anti-social conduct.

Now, let's address your other assumptions...
"go drive on a track in an HPDE"- I've been an HPDE instructor since 1996.
" Or if you are a beginner, go find a local autocross group."- I've trophied 3 times at BMW CCA Oktoberfests; one 1st and two 3rds.
"Grow up"- I'm 67; and your self-righteousness meter would likely peg if you knew my current or past occupations, but in your case I fear that the truth would really be too hard to hear.

Last edited:
Who said anything about going fast? I was just taking about eliciting a few extra pops and crackles when coming to a stop, but I apologize if I put your delicates in a twist over such brazen anti-social conduct.

Now, let's address your other assumptions...
"go drive on a track in an HPDE"- I've been an HPDE instructor since 1996.
" Or if you are a beginner, go find a local autocross group."- I've trophied 3 times at BMW CCA Oktoberfests; one 1st and two 3rds.
"Grow up"- I'm 67; and your self-righteousness meter would likely peg if you knew my current or past occupations, but in your case I fear that the truth would really be too hard to hear.
Then you really should know better than to blast a downshift in a nice community. And you should know that even race tracks have decibel limits. I will leave it there. Have a good evening.

Back