Prius c

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's thoughts? I read plenty bad, some good, and am curious enough to test drive one. I drive gobs of miles and am after low TCO with disposable vehicles. As much as I want to buy a cheap vehicle I know I am not interested in repairing someone's problem child. 10 years, 10 cents per mile depreciation, those seem like decent goals.

The Prius C is not a quiet car, which I suspect is something you want based on your other posts.

Aside from that, I'd say it's worth it to test drive one and see how you like it.

It wasn't well received. The Prius is a good car, and the C is clearly a low-cost version that doesn't live up to the name. I wouldn't bother -- just find a lightly-used Prius and buy that instead.

Drive it and see how you like it, but also drive a regular Prius. This forum is populated by a good number of people who like to bash the Prius, so don't expect too much useful info. I don't own a Prius, but I think it is a good choice for some people and I know several people (who aren't tree huggers) who have them and really like them.

I've read the regular Prius is a lot better, but what do I know. See which one you like better and which better fits your needs/budget.

C in the name is for City.
It may or may not be a good car for you depending on your needs.

Full disclosure: I have 2010 Prius III and like it.

Yeah, I do over 90% highway. Even if I do the backroads to work it still has lots of 50/55 mph sections, albeit with some 30mph sections which might make it shine.

Might be worth a test drive, me thinks. Can't hurt, I think the wife wants to go to town for some shopping.

Get one. In five years you'll still probably have 75% equity even with 170k.
wink.gif

I've heard the Prius C is much less refined as far as ride and noise level than the regular Prius. Another thing to consider, if you drive mostly highway you'll actually get better MPG in the regular Prius.

No Cruise control on the base, so the real base model is Prius C 2 at 20k msrp. I would get more enjoyment out of a Mazda 3 and at 41 mpg highway compared to 46 mpg that is $800 of fuel over 100k miles at today's price of 3.00 bucks a gallon. Would i spend 800 to not spend 100,000 miles of my life in a prius? heck yes.

But, toyota does make very durable hybrids and this one could probably go the distance like the original prius.

Gas is 3.19 in my neck of the woods, give or take, and apt to go back up. Also I do believe highway mpg is higher; I generally get highway EPA est on my vehicles.

Also, don't want a Mazda. Not my cup of tea for a number of reasons.

I own a "regular" Prius, which has lots more room than you might think.

If you're looking for a comparable car, to the Prius C price range, consider a Honda Fit, too.

The hybrid vehicles do not do that well in MPG on a highway (compared to a gas vehicle). Although I was told the Hyundai Sonata hybrid may.

If you want the lowest cost vehicle (TCO) then get a new Corolla, maintain it well and drive it into the ground.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The hybrid vehicles do not do that well in MPG on a highway (compared to a gas vehicle).

Hogwash! I have both hybrid and "gas vehicles" and do 47 MPG in Prius compared to 32 MPG in Corolla on hwy. It's true that city is where hybrid shines: 55 MPG in Prius vs 27 MPG in Corolla.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The hybrid vehicles do not do that well in MPG on a highway (compared to a gas vehicle).

Hogwash! I have both hybrid and "gas vehicles" and do 47 MPG in Prius compared to 32 MPG in Corolla on hwy. It's true that city is where hybrid shines: 55 MPG in Prius vs 27 MPG in Corolla.

You really only get 32 mpg highway in a Corolla?

The hybrid vehicles do not do that well in MPG on a highway (compared to a gas vehicle). Although I was told the Hyundai Sonata hybrid may.

If you want the lowest cost vehicle (TCO) then get a new Corolla, maintain it well and drive it into the ground.

Completely false.

Have a look at the 05-10 Yaris sedan, they are different than the hatchback and I think they are bit more refined but with the same efficient drivetrain.
They should be cheaper than a corolla but actually has more interior space.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

You really only get 32 mpg highway in a Corolla?

I was disappointed with corolla's MPG from the day 1 (bought it new). Maybe because it's AT. So it's Prius, so is a fair comparison. Don't get me started on my (RIP) Subaru. That thing was gas pig. 18/24 city/hwy.

Yaris has the 1.5 but seems to not do any better than the Corolla's 1.8, regardless of transmission. Deeper gearing, shorter tires, or worse areodynamics? Don't remember what the 2014's Corollas are now rated at.

In the end I ran some numbers and gave up. Selling the Jetta and running the truck until some point in the future--try as I might I'm not saving money by buying a used Corolla or a used Prius; the savings on gas is eaten up by the payment. Unless if gas explodes in price I think (as bad as I feel saying it) I'm better off racking up miles on the truck. Weird. Gas prices have been going down lately, for how long I don't know, but it certainly is a good feeling...

So I didn't bother test driving anything. Bad me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back