Prices on the rise at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI for the walmart oil shoppers. I was at the Walmart in Kitty hawk, as a BITOG member I had to check the oil isle. Castrol was $15.50 the same as the walmart in Elizabeth city, but the Pennzoil yellow bottle was also $15.50 for 5 quarts. The Mobil 1 was $21 the same in both stores. I would have blamed it on the tourist location except some of the other oil prices are the same. The Kitty hawk store does have a far better selection of Rotella thats for sure, they had T5 and T6 which the E city store has neither.

I guess GTX will not be considered overpriced in the near future from the looks of things.

I'm not surprised...Prices should be taking a few buck hike in the near future (and you know what is around the corner)

M1 will stay 21 bucks until sept 1st, when it should up to 25-26 bucks again. I think pretty much everything is going to take a decent hike between now and X mas, with SOPUS products being the lowest hike of everyone.

Up by me in Riverdale NJ the oil has risen as well.

GTX is $15.50
PYB is $13.50
ValvolienWB $15.00

For $3 more you can get QS Synthetic.

The deals are still QS Green Bottle @ $10.50 and Supertech. I have yet to hit BJ's for my Formula Shell which is a steal compared to the other prices.

I have not bought M1 oil from WM for some time now as they do not sell M1 5-20EP in my area. I do buy at either AZ or AAP when they put their M1 on sale with the M1 oil filter.

When the new GF-5 or whatever kicks in soon.. and the new bottles that are officially certified hit the shelves, won't there be a lot of oil on Clearance? I'm a little excited!

That's what I'm thinking... I'm just going to grab a case of MC5K 5w-20 at AZ for $1.99qt to shore up my inventory in that weight, and I think I'm good across the rest of the popular oil spectrum.

I'm going to do my best to not buy anything unless it's FAR or less than $1/qt for SM rated dino or $2/qt or less for synthetic until I see wha goes on with the SN rollout. Kinda hoping things will clearance out and then I can stock up bigtime.

I figure my cars are in great shape now, and it will be a long while until I buy a newer car that will have beendesigned around SN spec oil, and the same for all my friends who generally drive older cars. If SM provides excellent protection for these cars now, SN won't change that. (I maintain about 20 cars for friends and family in the area.)

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Advance Auto now sells Pennzoil Platinum gallons for 17.99.
Yea but Wally World has it for 20.50 for 5qt

Originally Posted By: BigNick
When the new GF-5 or whatever kicks in soon.. and the new bottles that are officially certified hit the shelves, won't there be a lot of oil on Clearance? I'm a little excited!

Um, no. The current will stay the same, while the new stuff will be higher in price. Most consumers buying oil will not even notice.

Marching orders I've heard at the local WM is no new stuff out until the old really sells down..

As stated in another thread, check out Schlep Boys, Moe and the boys have a pretty good deal on PP and PU. Thats if the store stocks them in the right way, some of these stores look like they hire missing links.Walmart has to blow me away before I waste time going there. IMHO

Originally Posted By: BigNick

It did not happen when SM was introduced 5-6 years ago, SL did not go to the clearance table.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
That's what I'm thinking... I'm just going to grab a case of MC5K 5w-20 at AZ for $1.99qt to shore up my inventory in that weight, and I think I'm good across the rest of the popular oil spectrum.

I'm going to do my best to not buy anything unless it's FAR or less than $1/qt for SM rated dino or $2/qt or less for synthetic until I see wha goes on with the SN rollout. Kinda hoping things will clearance out and then I can stock up bigtime.

I figure my cars are in great shape now, and it will be a long while until I buy a newer car that will have beendesigned around SN spec oil, and the same for all my friends who generally drive older cars. If SM provides excellent protection for these cars now, SN won't change that. (I maintain about 20 cars for friends and family in the area.)

This is what I figure also. We have 2 newer cars that we plan to keep until they are unusable, so I have been stocking up on Synpower at O'Reilly's while Valvoline is offering the Engine Guarantee Rebate. I already have 3 1/2 years for each car, and I am going out today to get 2 more cases while it is on sale for $4 a quart / $1.50 after rebate. The stash will be 87 quarts for a grand total invested of $130 AR, that will last until 2015.

By the time I run out, I guess I'll choke on oil prices when I do have to buy again
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Advance Auto now sells Pennzoil Platinum gallons for 17.99.
Yea but Wally World has it for 20.50 for 5qt

That is a better deal, but all I need for my car is a gallon :)

So what if prices are going up. If oil is your hobby it's a very inexpensive one. If a 5 qt jug goes up $5 it's not going to make or break anyone here.

Originally Posted By: Flashlightboy
So what if prices are going up. If oil is your hobby it's a very inexpensive one. If a 5 qt jug goes up $5 it's not going to make or break anyone here.

You never know...

Okay, friends, someone at Walmart or at BP has lost their mind or is playing games. I took a trip into Walmart for something unrelated to oil, but had to check the oil section anyway.

As I believe StevieC pointed out, there is a sale on Castrol Syntec in Canadian Walmarts in the 5L with a hat thrown in. Fine. I checked the 1L bottles, since that's all GC comes in. The price, which was recently rolled back from $8.97 to under $7 (all excluding 5w-20), is now rolled back up to $8.87! Were they just waiting for me to try GC and get hooked?

To make matters worse, my old standby, Mobil 1, has rolled back from around $9 down to $6.88, including the 5w-20. SOPUS and other products are unchanged. TDT is also unchanged, unfortunately.

My guess is that we're getting the Canadian version of the PU customer backlash. We have Edge up here, at a ridiculously inflated price, around $12 a litre. Who in their right mind would buy a bottle of Edge at $12 per litre when Syntec was under $7 a litre? BP, like SOPUS with PU, has done absolutely nothing to differentiate the more expensive product.

Simply put, I'm not going to subsidize BP's or Walmart's failure to sell Edge. If I can't get another supplier of GC who offers a sensible price, I'll switch back to Mobil without hesitation. You know things are ridiculous when I can buy Royal Purple cheaper than I can buy Syntec. Maybe I'll go back to Royal Purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back