PP (SM) 5W-30, 8000 miles, 2005 Pursuit 2.2 Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all.

This is the 4th consecutive UOA on my '05 Pontiac Pursuit. This run started Aug-14-2011 and drained on Mar-11-2012 in my driveway no less as this has been a very mild Canadian 'winter' if I could call it that. The ambition on this run was to take the OLM down to zero and it would have really have been at -1% by the time I actually did the drain. This is a daily driver and sees mostly highway and did approximately 80KM (50miles) per day, but now does 52KM (32.5 miles) per day after my wife changed jobs.

The UOA was performed by Fluid Life but was done by their alternate lab (hence the * beside the lab name on the UOA). They now report VI as well, which was 169 this time around. The lab only reported fuel%, but it actually was better this time with more mileage on this OCI. This may be loosely attributed to the mild winter most likely.

I have refilled with PP (SM) 5W-30 again and put in a Wix 57082 filter. The Napa Gold 7082 looked pretty good when it came out. So I'm sticking with Wix filters. My plan is to run this new sump longer as it will be over spring, summer and fall. Any thoughts/comments on the UOA are very much appreciated.

Regards,
/BTV

Code:

Sample Date Mar 03/11 Aug 14/11 Jan 15/11 June 02/10

Lab Name Fluid Life* Fluid Life Fluid Life FLUID LIFE

Oil PP 5W-30 (SM) FS 5W-30 FS 5W-30 QL Bulk 5W-30

Filter Napa Gold 7082 Napa Gold 7082 Napa Gold 7082 ACD PF456G

Total Miles 63089 miles 55114 miles 48079 miles 41569 miles

Miles on oil 7974 miles 6401 miles 6510 miles 3319 miles

OLM 0% 19% 18% 57%

Make up oil 0 0 0 0

Aluminum....... 2 1 1 0

Chrome......... 1 0 0 0

Iron........... 16 13 24 7

Copper......... 7 6 6 1

Lead........... 0 0 1 0

Tin............ 1 0 0 0

Molybdenum..... 53 48 41 5

Nickel......... 0 0 0 0

Manganese...... n/a n/a n/a n/a

Silver......... 0 0 0 0

Titanium....... 0 0 0 0

Potassium...... 0 0 0 0

Boron.......... 45 99 94 135

Silicon........ 8 9 9 4

Sodium......... 1 1 0 0

Calcium........ 2740 1880 1884 1890

Magnesium...... 11 6 9 11

Phosphorus..... 688 642 662 668

Zinc........... 800 783 782 789

Barium......... 0 0 0 0

Vanadium....... 0 0 0 0

Antimony....... 0 0 0 0

Lithium........ 1 1 1 1

Berylium....... 0 0 0 0

Flashpoint F... n/a n/a n/a n/a

Fuel %......... (1.57) (1.73) (2.03) (1.99)

Antifreeze..... Neg Neg Neg Neg

Water.......... Neg Neg Neg Neg

Insoluables.... n/a n/a n/a n/a

cSt Visc@40C... 55.9 (50.9) (48.6) (46.8)

cSt Visc@100C.. 9.85 (8.88) (8.72) (8.35)

TBN............ 8.23 3.81 3.55 5.69

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
As always thanks for posting these UOAs.

What stands out immediately is that very high TBN...over 8 after almost 8k miles?!

Exactly what I was going to say.

Plus it's only on the PP where it is that good.

Ironic that the PP has a TBN of 8.x in this UOA, and there is another UOA from a Nissan at 7.5k miles where the TBN has proven to be low ... TBN is unique to each situation and cannot be directly attributed across a broad stream spectrum. One UOA is nothing to stand and make a $100 bet upon. It's pleasing to see, but this does not represent a "trend" by any means for the fluids.

This is a decent UOA. Build upon it!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ironic that the PP has a TBN of 8.x in this UOA, and there is another UOA from a Nissan at 7.5k miles where the TBN has proven to be low ... TBN is unique to each situation and cannot be directly attributed across a broad stream spectrum. One UOA is nothing to stand and make a $100 bet upon. It's pleasing to see, but this does not represent a "trend" by any means for the fluids.

This is a decent UOA. Build upon it!

In the other UOA, the TBN was low on non PP runs as well as PP. In this it is spectacular only with PP.

Maybe it's a mistake by the lab.

This very economical car is easy on the wallet in so many ways. It's real easy to maintain and I would hold that it's also quite easy on oil too. There was no topping-off on this run as there was only 0.5L of measured loss. Which makes me wonder where the TBN would be at if the oil level was topped up mid-run.

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette

In the other UOA, the TBN was low on non PP runs as well as PP. In this it is spectacular only with PP.

Maybe it's a mistake by the lab.

If you meaning is the Jun-02-2010 UOA of 'Pennzoil', that was actually the bulk 5w-30 lube that the local quick-lube shop used. It was a conventional oil. There was only 5000KM or 3000 miles on that run. Or was your reference to a UOA in the 'other thread'?

I could call the lab and ask them if they do re-tests. I believe they hold onto samples for a short period of time based on a prior call I made to the lab after my first UOA (ever). However the TBN didn't initially strike me as being phenomenally high. It could be a lab mistake as you say.

Last edited:
BigTallV,
Thaks for posting your reports, one question was the FS inyour previus repost Formula Shell and if so was it synthetic or the white bottle mineral? (or Motomaster silver bottle CT brand maybe?). Impressive TBN retention with the PP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dominik
BigTallV,
Thaks for posting your reports, one question was the FS inyour previus repost Formula Shell and if so was it synthetic or the white bottle mineral? (or Motomaster silver bottle CT brand maybe?). Impressive TBN retention with the PP

Hi Dominik. The prior UOA's of FS were indeed conventional oil. As was the initial UOA that I did with this car, it was effectively bulk PYB that my local QL shop used (it is a Pennzoil 10-Minute QL franchise).

What is virgin Platinum TBN 'expectancy'?

It is 'possible' in non-severe service(hard to imagine if this was 8,000 miles of stop 'n go, short trips in cold weather etc etc), but some vehicles with a 'residual' TAN that perhaps is low internally in the engine would start the next OCI off on a good note and help prevent the re-curring rise of the TAN in the 'fresh' oil to attack the TBN.

In such a scenario, I'd imagine the OP's engine is near spotless without any carbon deposits to get a reading like that.

OR lab error.
smile.gif

I've contacted the lab today and inquired about getting the TBN rechecked. Hopefully they'll send that along on Monday.

Originally Posted By: BigTallV
I've contacted the lab today and inquired about getting the TBN rechecked. Hopefully they'll send that along on Monday.

The lab retested and came back with a TBN of 6.21

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Thank you for posting your results.

Still, a very strong and excellent TBN after the Lab corrected value.

Your vehicle handles this oil very well.

You're welcome. I'd like to say thanks for your comments (and wanted to thank everyone who's provided input/comments as well).

I plan to extend to 15,000KM (9400 miles) on the current sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back