PP or M1 5-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 07 civic 1.8l and i am currently on M1 but alot of people say its not that good.

I can get PP at walmart for 19.99 and M1 for 23.97
I use a Wix filter

Just wondering is PP will keep the engine internals clean?

Because i had a Honda before and after switching to YB and a thicker weight then recommended 10-40 , just after 3k miles there was alot more varnish then ever.

Any one have engine pix using PP?

PP will sludge your engine...don't use it.
28.gif
29.gif

M1 will keep your engine very clean (imo and in my experience). And I believe that's been the experience of most BITOGrs. M1 5w30 has been blamed for slightly higher iron readings.

PP is apparently very good stuff too - have it in my van now.

M1 has a long proved history of keeping engine clean and even cleaning affect in some instances. PP relatively new formula, I’ll let you know in about ten years from now unless they rename / reformulate to something else when people start to complain about first oil run 46% sludge removal marketing lie...
grin2.gif

I'd use the Pennzoil Platinum and save the four dollars. Or better yet, use it to pay for your filter too.

I'm not a Mobil 1 hater, but Pennzoil Platinum has continued to show that it's a superb performer. You can't beat its price point.

Cant go wrong with either oils.
I run PP 5w-20 in an 05 Civic, and in a Tundra 4.7 V8 I run 5 qts of PP 5w-20, one qt of M1 0w-20, and one qt of German Castrol 0w-30, its an experiment, I think the PP is a bit thicker than M1 0w-20.

They are both good and PP is cheaper so that would be the preference if it was my choice between the two. I would just got with MC 5w20 though as it is a great oil and the lowest price of the 5w20's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
PP will sludge your engine...don't use it.
28.gif
29.gif

Where is your proof that PP causes sludge. I'm very interested in this, because I'm using PP 5W-30 now.

Thanks

Either oil will keep your R18 spectacularly clean.

This engine is amazingly easy on oil in my experience. You would really have to intentionally abuse/neglect it for years to gum it up, IMHO. Consider conventional if cost is a factor...

I would use the PP and save yourself the $4, I believe it's just as good, if not better than Mobil 1. My opinion and perception, of course. Saving money is always nice too!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
westex39, I believe old Tempest is just kidding.

thumbsup2.gif
I use PP and my car still actually works fine.
grin2.gif

I'll have to say... after seeing SO many UOA's on this great website, Pennzoil Platinum has truly impressed me. Enough to use it in my sisters Honda Civic with the 1.7 4 cyl. I told her to go 7k miles on it and not worry. Sure, she could probably go 8k, but ya know...

And this is coming from a guy who would never touch Pennzoil conventional, and never liked Pennzoil, just because... you know, some of us are stubborn. But PP has never shown anything bad.

Originally Posted By: coffee
They are both good and PP is cheaper so that would be the preference if it was my choice between the two. I would just got with MC 5w20 though as it is a great oil and the lowest price of the 5w20's.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

PP 5W20 is very good, specially for $0.99/qt after rebate, I have it in E430 instead of recommended M1 0W40 by MB. The engine is much quiet now and MPG is up about 3-5%. I got 12 qts Valvoline Synpower 5W20 at $0.49 after rebate, it will be in E430 the next oil change. Any brand name synthetic oil at less than $1/qt is good in my book.

Another reason why I like PP in addition to the great UOA's:

GM 4178M
HTO-06
ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5
Ilsac GF-4
API SM

Meets all of those specifications and is approved. Same with M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back