PP 5w20 or 5w30 for an '09 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux

It also does not take a perfect mind to know you can get "better" proection for your enging with something thicker than xw-20.

I agree that something thicker than xw-20 offers better protection. It might even be the difference between only getting 300,000 miles out of a Honda instead of 330,000. A 10% reduction in engine life.

Automatic transmission lifespans are a more relevant cause for concern. Lots of people still loose theirs even before 100,000 miles.

5W-20 in almost any engine is no sweat compared to whatever is killing the average owner's auto trans. Be it delayed fluid changes, manufacturers not offering better filtration systems and cooling etc. Considering the cost of automatic transmissions, I often wonder how that hasn't become the primary concern of those that own longer term.

Seems to me that almost every engine lasts 300,000 miles nowadays. Even on dino 6 mths/5000 mile OCIs. What do we have to do to get 300,000 miles out of our transmissions? Besides replacing the units twice?

- secondary remote filter (oil filter type)
- oil cooler
- synthetic fluid every 2 years/ 30,000 miles

I think that is the new "Change your oil every 3000 miles."

I see this xW-20 vs. xW-30 argument, when the manual specifies the "20, come up a lot.
I understand about CAFE requirment concerns, but I have to wonder why those that don't trust the manual argue for the 30 wt? Why not argue for 40 or 50 or 60 wt instead of the manual recommendation--if thicker is better?

At what point did 30 wt become the perfect oil weight that all engines are engineered for? Or is the formula you use = what the manual says + 1 standard weight increment?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
. . .
Evidently they did not care about their reputation in regards to building 5 speed automatic transmissions and recommneding 120k ATF changes and NEVER changing ATF filter.

I think all the Big Wigs care about is the experienc of the 1st owner and maybe the second which usually does not pass 120K miles.

If 95% of first owners are happy and trade in their cars with 75K miles or less then Honda is perfectly satisied IMO.

I want to keep my new cars until they reach 300k miles.

I change my ATF fluid in my 03 Accord every 30K miles.

Hey, perfection escapes even the most fastidious perfectionists (except for me, of course...). Modern cars are incredibly complex machines, designed and built by fallible humans. Not even the best car company, wherever it hails from, will ever achieve perfection. I never said Honda, Toyota, Ford, or whoever was perfect. Now, as to oil recommendations, again, I've seen no signs in over eight years that Honda or Ford has caused an owner harm with their xw-20 oil recommendations.

+1 Ekpolk
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back