Power steering fluid flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so the power steering fluid became contaminated with water(not a lot but enought to notice it). I did exchange 2 quarts with the turkey baster method, which did make it a lot better, but it wont get it all out. I was thinking of having the dealer do a power steering flush seeing as that would do a full system exchange.

Any thoughts on this? I was just wanting them to do it seeing as it has a cooler and hyrdoboost the machine would have better results than i could removing manually even removing lines etc.

Most power steering system capacity is about 1/2 quarts, you exchanged contaminated fluid with 2 new quarts is more than enough to get 90% of old fluid out of your system.

I think your system is very god now, if you like to flush it you can easily do it yourself. You can watch some Youtube videos about flushing power steering.

It still has a weird color even after doing that with 2 quarts. it feels and smells like power steering but doesn't look like it lol

A dealer power flush doesn't remove any more fluid than a turkey baster fluid change while using 2 quarts of fluid.

Another thing to remember is that sometimes new fluid can get dark quickly if the power steering hoses are old and deteriorating.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
the power steering fluid became contaminated with water

Are we supposed to guess what kind of vehicle is involved? Rolls Royce? Zaporozhets?

I really hate taking a vehicle to the stealership. I have changed power steering fluid on my own vehicles several times...Real messy but inexpensive...And I know how it was done...There are plenty of You tube videos...

I avoided doing a complete exchange but finally did it...and it was much easier than i thought. Yank a line attach a hose top up ps fluid and go turn the wheel...it will push all the fluid out until its fresh clean fluid and you will have it as clean as a flush at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
the power steering fluid became contaminated with water

Are we supposed to guess what kind of vehicle is involved? Rolls Royce? Zaporozhets?

If it was a Rolls Royce I wouldn't have to worry about it as money would be no object lol.

It's a 05 Yukon XL 1500

I thought I put what vehicle it was, sorry.

I am probably going to do it myself was just getting feedback if anyone has had it done or not.

How did water enter the system?

HTSS, I think you are wrong.....the reservoir may only hold a pint, but there is more in the rack and lines.....how much more I do not know.

Water and oil shouldnt mix. Water is heavier than gasoline. Maybe that can be of some help.

I was reading a way to flush it using the hydroboost return line I will more than likely try that first. Seeing as the fluid wont come out unless you push the brake will make sure it wont run dry as well.

The dealer here isn't bad here. They are pretty good. They are always extremely busy as well. But i Will try it myself first then see what happens.

If the PS fluid reservoir has 2 lines going to it, you can figure out which is the return line and disconnect it and route it to a collection bin.

Then, top off the PS fluid reservoir and turn on the engine and move the steering back and forth. Might help if you have a helper keep the reservoir topped off.

This should push all the old out and get you to 100% new.

Jack the front and get the wheels off or almost off the ground. Then turning is more fluid and the pump works better. Very effective way to do home flush.

i did this on my 96 caravan and since i did it the system is very noisy... I also changed a power steering metal line that rotted at the same time..Im thinking there is an inline FIlter somewhere which i could not find.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
How did water enter the system?

HTSS, I think you are wrong.....the reservoir may only hold a pint, but there is more in the rack and lines.....how much more I do not know.

Water and oil shouldnt mix. Water is heavier than gasoline. Maybe that can be of some help.

I did siphoning PSF from reservoir of LS400 and E430, each time I could get only 1/2 pint. The 1 quart bottle was used to fill reservoir 4 times in several weeks. May be the whole PS system has more than 1 pint, but I think most systems have less than 1 quart.

By the way, I use shampoo pump to extract PSF in reservoir into a water bottle. No cost and no mess, not a single drop of fluid on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If the PS fluid reservoir has 2 lines going to it, you can figure out which is the return line and disconnect it and route it to a collection bin.

The PS fluid-exchange machines used by garages work this way:
-- The return line is disconnected from the reservoir and attached to a collector.
-- A feed line is stuck into the reservoir.
-- As the engine runs and fluid is pumped into the collector, the feed line introduces new fluid as fast as the reservoir needs it.

With this method, all old fluid is removed and new fluid remains uncontaminated, and the reservoir and pump never run dry. It's fast, efficient and complete, and a lot less messy than trying to do it yourself.

This is how you flush

a) The return line 3/8 smaller of the ones connected to reservoir meanders towards front of the vehicle. Usually it makes it to the bottom of the vehicle, disconnect it, it drains the reservoir of the fluid into a pan.
b)Raise the front of the vehicle off the ground. Then put ignition in ACC to unlock the column. Do steering locks that will push all the fluid out of the system till no fluid comes off the line.
c) Reconnect the hose in the bottom and fill reservoir and do steering locks while filling reservoir. Once the reservoir takes no more stop. Turn the engine on and do steering locks to remove all air off the system.
d) Top it off and bring the vehicle down. Done

If this is like the older GM trucks, there should be a hose that can be taken off at the hydroboost and you can hook up a hose to the booster to a catch can. Usually with a regular clamp as supposed to a crimped or threaded.

Suck the fluid from the reservoir, then fill it with clean fluid.
Start the engine, turn the steering left to right.
It helps if you jack up the front so the tires can be freely turn.
Make sure somebody is ready to fill up the reservoir again.
Do it until the fluid runs clear.

Again, I am not sure if this is the same as the older GM trucks (88-98) but the idea is the same. At that time, there is no connection between the brake and PS, the brake uses the PS Pump to generate pressure.

Last edited:
I did go ahead and try the hydroboost boost flush method. What I like about It Is fluid doesn't come out until you press the brake so you can easily control the the flow. I had 2 quarts of it laying around It is now 90% clear (slight yellowish tint) huge improvement over the milky brown it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back