2005 Scion Power Steering Fluid Change + Reservoir Ultrasonic Cleaning + Chemical Flush (Attempted)

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
My latest video:
  • I removed the power steering reservoir and soaked it in an ultrasonic cleaner for 1 hour with a 10% solution of Simple Green Aviation Cleaner.
  • Drained and refilled system with new Liqui Moly Top-Tec 1100 ATF (Dexron III).
  • Added Liqui Moly Automatic Transmission Cleaner to the new fluid to see if the chemicals would clean up any sludge in the system. This would be visible with through the temporary clear tubing in the supply line to observe for color change of which none was noticed.
  • It's not in the video but I flushed the PS fluid out again to remove the ATF cleaner out of the system for a final fill of Top Tec ATF.
  • Finally added LM Power Steering Stop Leak.
  • 2005 Scion tC 180k + miles. Mostly original fluid, topped up occasionally.

Can you tell us or show us how the Fluid looked Before and After?
Very dark, no wonder the reservoir was so dirty.
There is a short clip of it draining at 5 seconds:
Old PS Fluid.JPG

Is there a PowerSteering Cooler on this Car?
The Scion has a small tube cooler, no fins.
How much PowerSteering Fluid does this car hold?
I couldn't find an exact spec but it appears under 2 quarts. I just kept pouring fluid in until it came out bright red and then did the same again to remove the ATF cleaner. First flush was actually done with M1 ATF since I did not have a lot of the LM ATF.
Well another question, has this fluid ever been changed before?
The fluid has not been changed but over the past 19 years. The level has gotten lower so I topped it off a few times. Not sure where the fluid went as there is no visible massive leak, just light dirty grease patches, maybe it somehow evaporates over a decade?

Im not interested in watching the video but good luck with your cleaning endeavor.
Thank you! AFAIK the system is clean, not that it really needed to be done, it was more of an experiment. I thought I would feel a difference in steering that everyone talks about with fresh fluid but it feels exactly the same as with the old fluid.

I‘m impressed that the Scion has a Power-steering cooler…….
I, too have replaced the fluid in the three Corolla’s in my sig.
The fluid did not appear as dirty as yours appears, but not to far behind.
I replaced it with Valvoline Max-life and couldn’t be happier!

The cooler is integrated into the return assembly, just a tiny extension.

PS Cooler.JPG

When I ran the ATF cleaner, the pump was not happy and sounded like it was cavitating with the rack at full lock, so a second flush was definitely required.

Last edited:
It's a power steering system in a light duty application. Suck out as much as you can (using an extractor) and/or disconnect a line. Refill, repeat a few times. Make sure the screen is clear, if any. Even if you do not change the fluid it is unlikely to materially affect the lifespan of the unit.

Are you doing this to get views on Youtube? If not, I'm baffled.

Are you doing this to get views on Youtube? If not, I'm baffled.
Exactly. My YouTube channel is a side gig for me.

It started out hobby where I filmed some accessory videos for our Honda Pilot and then some random projects which took off. I passed 10k subscribers recently. Once you reach enough subs it's helpful to keep generating content as you have enough people that are expecting videos. I experiment with different thumbnails and video ideas to improve click through rates and find interesting topics, which will result in more subscribers.

It's a great form of passive income, not much, but not negligible either. Besides advertising revenue from YouTube, of which they give you 55% of their profit, I also monetize via Amazon Affiliate links in the video description. The cool thing about Amazon links is that you get between a 1-3% commission on not only the product you linked to but the entire shopping cart of the customer.

My videos are not all about cars and making a fee extra bucks though. If I have a project where there is no video on YouTube, I'll film a tutorial. For example, replacing the agitator on a Speed Queen washing machine or diagnosing a bad circuit board on a Gibson furnace. Not very exciting videos but helpful to those looking for an answer.

At 1:53 or so, is the engine oil fill cap loose?
Yes, I didn't realize it until I time lapsed the footage in editing. I could have overlayed a static image of the engine from a freeze frame but it's kind of a weird effect I decided just to go with. I must not have tightened it enough during the last oil change as I did not add any oil during filming.

I have a 06 and 08 Tc’s. I’ve turkey basted both and never could get the PS fluid to look clean. I will give your YouTube a watch.

I have a 06 and 08 Tc’s. I’ve turkey basted both and never could get the PS fluid to look clean. I will give your YouTube a watch.
I also have a tC, I bet the reason it doesn't look clean, were you looking at the PS fluid through the reservoir? The ATF fluid/Dexron III leaves a dark residue on the plastic reservoir. I was able to use a remote "claw" grabber with a small bit of towel and cleaned the insides. Guess I was too lazy to take it all apart to clean it with soap.

I watched the video a few days ago. Good job cleaning the tank, definitely an improvement over the dark nasties.

I don’t blame you, removing those hoses was harder than it looked. Maybe there is a special hose removal tool but it took me a while.
I'm glad you were able to remove them, I looked at how those hoses were on there and thought.. Ok maybe I'm lazy, lol.. left them alone.. but thanks! That reminds me, I have to replace the PS fluid in my tC too! It's posts like this that help remind me. (y)

Oh and yes after I did many remove/fills on the PS fluid in the past, the pump was a lot more quiet after that! Feeling in the steering wheel was much more firm too.

Back