Cleaning power steering reservoir

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm changing out the fluid in my power steering system (2005 Scion tC, i.e. Toyota Camry) and would like to clean up the dirty reservoir while the fluid is out. I'll remove it from the engine bay for easier access to remove dirt and what appears to be staining in the plastic.

Should I soak the whole reservoir in a bucket of soapy water or fill it with simple green after closing off the ports? What cleaning method do you recommend?

P.S. The power steering fluid is Dexron 2 or 3 ATF.

Listen to @HankHill
Spray it from the bottom to help clear the screen. If you want, you can also buy a new reservoir, if it is too far gone.
But brake cleaner and fresh fluid should make 'er like new...

I use MaxLife as I always have some on hand. And I suck the old fluid out with the MityVac.

If the reservoir is is completely removed? Just use some brake cleaner spray, it'll work great, and it'll be fine.
Listen to @HankHill
Spray it from the bottom to help clear the screen. If you want, you can also buy a new reservoir, if it is too far gone.
But brake cleaner and fresh fluid should make 'er like new...

I use MaxLife as I always have some on hand. And I suck the old fluid out with the MityVac.
Yes I will be removing it. I'm replacing my brakes at the same time so I'll have some brake cleaner on hand.

You suck at sucking? I get the tip of the wand down into the port on the pump, nice and easy. It always takes me at least 7 fills to get the fluid clean. Suck fill start pump suck....

You suck at sucking? I get the tip of the wand down into the port on the pump, nice and easy. It always takes me at least 7 fills to get the fluid clean. Suck fill start pump suck....
No. I put the MityVac tube in the return hose and suck the old fluid out. When it pulls air, I fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and suck it through. At the end, let the reservoir run low so it is easy to replace the return line. Fill it one last time and run engine to bleed out any air.

Brake clean might do a number to the mesh screen in the reservoir on some. Personally, I’ve seen some ATFs clean the reservoir over time - Red Line especially but a LS430 I care for had a rank one. MaxLife started to bust the scum on the sides clean.

I always clean the reservoir. Brake clean and some low pressure air to blast away the little particles that get caught in the mesh. I'm not a fan of the turkey baster method of changing power steering fluid because all the gunk settles to the bottom so the best way is to fully drain it.

Back