post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2013 Ford Escape 2.0T, 107,700 miles
Out: Mercon LV
In: same
3 drain and fills, 12 quarts+ total

The fluid is still not were I’d like it. I need to figure out a cooler line exchange.
It feels like LV fluid gets dark really quickly. I'd say you've already reached the point of diminishing returns as you've replaced over 80% of the existing fluid.

It feels like LV fluid gets dark really quickly. I'd say you've already reached the point of diminishing returns as you've replaced over 80% of the existing fluid.
I appreciate your comment. I maintain the car for a close friend. I have no experience with Ford transmissions and fluids.

The transmission shifted smoothly after the 3 drain and fills. However, the fluid didn’t look anything close to the DEX VI I use in the 240s after 12 quarts.

Got my CVT repaired today under warranty for my '18 Legacy Sport. Since they took so long to repair, I was able to get them to do a full fluid replacement. The belt cover cracked and was leaking.

2006 Chevrolet 2500HD with Duramax and Allison 6 speed - 160k miles. Drain and fill transmission pan and replace spin on filter. 7.4 QTS of Castrol Transynd 668. I last drained and filled about 20k miles ago. I tow 5500lbs about 6k miles per year, all highway at 75-80mph.

2012 new to me pilot with 126k miles. Service records indicate that changes happened at 45k miles with dw1 from the dealer then at 75 and 105 at independent with wolf's head atf. Atf looked yellow and the trans shifted a bit clunky which id heard is common for the 5 speeds in these. 4 D&F over the span of 400 miles and a week and a half. First two were maxlife and second two were Aisin Atf DW1 with the last one including lubegard red. Shifts are more positive and less clunky although not as great as some of the other transmissions I've driven.

Did the first drain and fill on the wife's 2016 Rogue CVT with 80,000 miles.. the notorious Nissan whine had just started. 4 qts of OE Cvt fluid came out looking like motor oil, filled with 4 qts of bluish green Idemitsu NS3. Hardest part was removing the stupid locking cap. Strange enough, the smell of both fluids reminded me of some sort of cleaning product 🤔 nothing like traditional ATF, another reason to be weary of universal Atf/Cvt fluid I suppose. Plan on same process every 3rd oil change from here on out, seems smoother after 1 drain and fill.

Did the first drain and fill on the wife's 2016 Rogue CVT with 80,000 miles.. the notorious Nissan whine had just started. 4 qts of OE Cvt fluid came out looking like motor oil, filled with 4 qts of bluish green Idemitsu NS3. Hardest part was removing the stupid locking cap. Strange enough, the smell of both fluids reminded me of some sort of cleaning product 🤔 nothing like traditional ATF, another reason to be weary of universal Atf/Cvt fluid I suppose. Plan on same process every 3rd oil change from here on out, seems smoother after 1 drain and fill.
Well done. I would do another service in 1K and see how the fluid looks. FYI, I have had great luck with Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluid in a high mileage Altima.

Put the cap back on 180* out. Hate that thing,

Changed the manual transmission fluid in the 6 speed Kia.

Out: 1.9 qts of Redline MT 85 75-85 GL-4 Full synthetic
In: 1.9 qts of Redline MT 85 75-85 GL-4 Full synthetic.

Always happy with the results of the Redline MT 85.

2017 Elantra, 87,500 miles. About 30k miles since last D&F. Edit: roughly 4.3 quarts drained and refilled. These transmissions come from the factory underfilled, so for an initial drain, you may only get about 3.5 quarts out.

Out: Amsoil ATF
In: Same

IMG_2715.jpeg

Last edited:
Drained 5 speed manual Ford F-150 transmission of factory fluid and replaced
with

Ultra1Plus™ SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil, API GL-4​

Shifts better now than it ever has. Smooth as silk.

2007 Vette 6 speed manual.....

Out: Well used, but apparently still serviceable ATF...presumably AC Delco, as the service records show mostly dealer service visits.

In: Mobil 1 ATF. I picked up 8 quarts on clearance, I think 4 bucks each. So I have another change in the stash. I'll probably do it again in 15-20k, since it is easy and I have the other 4 quarts.

PXL_20230818_230638882.jpg

PXL_20230630_224339558~5.jpg

2007 Vette 6 speed manual.....

Out: Well used, but apparently still serviceable ATF...presumably AC Delco, as the service records show mostly dealer service visits.

In: Mobil 1 ATF. I picked up 8 quarts on clearance, I think 4 bucks each. So I have another change in the stash. I'll probably do it again in 15-20k, since it is easy and I have the other 4 quarts.

View attachment 174098
View attachment 174100
Mobil 1 ATF is what I used in my 2004 GTO too. I remember being happy with the results.

Same tranny, right? Lots of Vette forum guys recommended it. Clearance pricing was a bonus. But I'm guessing it is being discontinued? Not sure.
I think it's different, but that's only because the Vette is a transaxle setup. I know the gearing is shorter on the GTO, but I think it's at least mechanically similar. I've never had a problem with Mobil 1 ATF in GM products.

Well done. I would do another service in 1K and see how the fluid looks. FYI, I have had great luck with Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluid in a high mileage Altima.

Put the cap back on 180* out. Hate that thing,
Took the advice and did a second drain and fill using the Idemitsu, Fluid was much more translucent and less burnt looking 👍

Back